BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default 9780 unable to send pics (no send option)

Please Login to Remove!

Got a very strange issue with a T-Mobile 9780 where the end user does not have an option to 'Send' a picture - in fact she has no Send option from the menu after she takes a picture or when she goes into the Pictures app and views existing pictures.

She also is unable to attach a picture to a text/mms message - the Attach option is there, but when she clicks on the picture she wants to attach it just opens it and does not attach it to the picture.

I had this same issue with my 9670 Style and had to reinstall the OS (after using JL_Cmder to wipe it down to a JVM 507 message) and that fixed it for me.

For the 9780 I used JL_Cmder to wipe the device and prior to reactivating it she was able to see the Send option when viewing a picture.

After we activated her on the BES, the Send option disappeared.

Aha, I thought it may be a BES IT Policy issue, but she and I have the same IT Policy - and I can still see the Send option on mine.

Anyone else run across this screwy issue?
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Model: 9780
OS: 6.0.0.359
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telekom.de
Posts: 79
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 9780 unable to send pics (no send option)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Got a very strange issue with a T-Mobile 9780 where the end user does not have an option to 'Send' a picture - in fact she has no Send option from the menu after she takes a picture or when she goes into the Pictures app and views existing pictures.

She also is unable to attach a picture to a text/mms message - the Attach option is there, but when she clicks on the picture she wants to attach it just opens it and does not attach it to the picture.

I had this same issue with my 9670 Style and had to reinstall the OS (after using JL_Cmder to wipe it down to a JVM 507 message) and that fixed it for me.

For the 9780 I used JL_Cmder to wipe the device and prior to reactivating it she was able to see the Send option when viewing a picture.

After we activated her on the BES, the Send option disappeared.

Aha, I thought it may be a BES IT Policy issue, but she and I have the same IT Policy - and I can still see the Send option on mine.

Anyone else run across this screwy issue?
I have an open policy on my 9780 and picture send works fine from all of the above.

It's possible that even though you have the same policy she has done a hard reset in the meantime since it was applied and you have not, having been activated with a more open policy???. In that case the issue is the applied policy.

I would have recommended a firmware reload but from the sound of it you tried that, it worked and the problem came back when you reapplied the policy during activation. Also if the policy is the issue then probably better to have a more open policy applied before you do the reload.
Offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default Re: 9780 unable to send pics (no send option)

She and I have the exact same IT Policy and I can also Send pictures. So I don't *think* it's the IT Policy...however...

We're going to try the wipe and reload OS again just for fun, and I will apply a 'blank' IT Policy to her when it's reactivated.

I'm on the phone with RIM support and they are stumped....
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
jsconyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In a van down by the river.
Model: NOTE2
OS: 4.1
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 15,071
Post Thanks: 139
Thanked 140 Times in 121 Posts
Default Re: 9780 unable to send pics (no send option)

I had an issue with the send option missing before, but not just for pictures. I had to remove and re-add the user on the BES.
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
When you take things for granted, the things you are granted, get taken.
Even a mosquito doesn't get a pat on the back until it starts to work.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Jagga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Posts: 862
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: 9780 unable to send pics (no send option)

I have a hunch.

Its not the IT Policy.

1> Encryption. Either the device is encrypted (locally which makes more sense if yours is on the BES, or from BES since user is in another group/server which in this case would not affect you).

OR the MicroSD is encrypted. Any picture saved on encrypted device or microsd that is encrypted changes the file extension which ONLY that specific device can read. I recall having this as well with my personal BB & work BB while testing encryption.

If I'm right I'd be VERY surprised RIM support couldn't even guess at this as a thought and maybe its time I consider training for BES certification? Baah most likely I'm VERY wrong.

Have your client use the internal browser to locate the picture that cannot be sent and lookup the properties.
__________________
Senior help desk administrator (rim_db_admin_sr_helpdesk)
Serious Mobile

Last edited by Jagga : 01-20-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: another thought.
Offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jagga For This Useful Post:
canuckinkl (02-08-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default Re: 9780 unable to send pics (no send option)

There is no encryption enforced anymore, so not sure if that's it.

We reloaded the OS a second time and the Send option still was not there. At that point RIM said it's hardware issue (probably to get me off the phone) so we are getting an RMA replacement from the carrier.
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 02-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 9780 unable to send pics (no send option)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
I have a hunch.

Its not the IT Policy.

1> Encryption. Either the device is encrypted (locally which makes more sense if yours is on the BES, or from BES since user is in another group/server which in this case would not affect you).

OR the MicroSD is encrypted. Any picture saved on encrypted device or microsd that is encrypted changes the file extension which ONLY that specific device can read. I recall having this as well with my personal BB & work BB while testing encryption.

If I'm right I'd be VERY surprised RIM support couldn't even guess at this as a thought and maybe its time I consider training for BES certification? Baah most likely I'm VERY wrong.

Have your client use the internal browser to locate the picture that cannot be sent and lookup the properties.

Is there anyway to remove the encryption on a photo. I took some photos while my phone was encrypted and couldn't send them. When I found out that was the problem I removed the encryption but I still can not send those pictures that were taken during the encryption time. I can however send new pictures that were taken. Any ideas how to fix that?
Offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
jsconyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In a van down by the river.
Model: NOTE2
OS: 4.1
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 15,071
Post Thanks: 139
Thanked 140 Times in 121 Posts
Default Re: 9780 unable to send pics (no send option)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieg View Post
Is there anyway to remove the encryption on a photo. I took some photos while my phone was encrypted and couldn't send them. When I found out that was the problem I removed the encryption but I still can not send those pictures that were taken during the encryption time. I can however send new pictures that were taken. Any ideas how to fix that?
Try moving the photo to a different directory on the memory card.
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
When you take things for granted, the things you are granted, get taken.
Even a mosquito doesn't get a pat on the back until it starts to work.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Maxis
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 9780 unable to send pics (no send option)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
I have a hunch.

Its not the IT Policy.

OR the MicroSD is encrypted. Any picture saved on encrypted device or microsd that is encrypted changes the file extension which ONLY that specific device can read. I recall having this as well with my personal BB & work BB while testing encryption.
I followed Jagga above and removed the encryption and voila "send" now appears on the new photos I've taken.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: AZ
Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 1,110
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: 9780 unable to send pics (no send option)

I had the same problem and finally I found out that I had the encryption enabled on the media card. So I removed the encryption and all the future fotos taken I could send them but the old (excrypted) could not be sent.
__________________
_____________________________
Never be silent about the things that matter, but what about Democracy? That matters too
Offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: uk vodafone
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 9780 unable to send pics (no send option)

Spoke at length with RIM support and they pointed to this article...
KB24735 on blackberry.com

The work around is NOT to encrypt which is not really a solution !
I need Encryption for business use and it was not a problem with the Bold 9700

RIM support also mentioned that the article is also wrong in quoting
Software 6.0.0.287 (Bundle 870) and later will solve the problem because my handset is already 6.0.0.294 (bundle 905)

RIM support insists the issue has been resolved and is part of the "next" software release 6.0.0.3xx

I am still waiting for UK vodafone to release their next incarnation of the software but so far no luck.

Any more info from RIM or Vodafone UK would be much appreciated.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads for: 9780 unable to send pics (no send option)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
option to send pics to FB is GONE! theduskes General 9700 Series Discussion - Bold 2 2 01-12-2011 05:25 AM
Unable to send pics at all from Style juwaack68 General 9670 Series Discussion - Style 5 11-26-2010 11:50 AM
BES Desktop Email accounts unable to send, OWA accounts unable to receive oshout BES Admin Corner 2 11-10-2010 06:24 AM
Migrate from 8707v to curve 8310, no Send option? katebang General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve 2 04-15-2008 09:01 AM
7100I Big HELP whoknowswhat General Legacy Device Discussion 1 10-23-2005 03:45 PM





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.