BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post Thanks: 0
Default Alteritive for Blackberry Desktop Redirector for use with BB Bold (9780)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
I just upgraded from my old Blackberry Curve/Javelin to the Bold (9780) and I am having issues changing the 'Active Device' for the email syncing feature 'Desktop Redirector'. On the machine that is running the redirector software I am running Desktop Manager 4.7, old I know but it is the latest version I know of that supported the redirector software.

I am also aware that BlackBerry has had the intention to discontinue support for redirector and I am guessing this might be the reason for my pain switching the active device, so I need to find an alternative solution.

Here are a couple of constraints
  • Simply forwarding emails is not a solution as we need to also send emails from the same account, sending emails with a reply-to address is not an allowable option.
  • BES is not available, and we are only talking about connecting one device so the licensing and administration/maintenance costs of BES are prohibitive.

So what other options are there that I can explore?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Appleinator

Model: App5
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Post Thanks: 54
Default Re: Alteritive for Blackberry Desktop Redirector for use with BB Bold (9780)

BIS or a hosted BES are about your only other options.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post Thanks: 0
Default Re: Alteritive for Blackberry Desktop Redirector for use with BB Bold (9780)

Do you know how I configure BIS to access a secured server, the server uses an RSA SecurID token to authenticate requests from outside the firewall.

I just looked into BES but to be honest that is not really a solution to replace redirector, as it needs to be installed on a server OS (or does is???) not on a desktop platform, so for one device this is overkill.

Thanks for the reply, I just wished BlackBerry would see that there is a demand for a lightweight email relaying feature... it is almost like the have forgotten what made them the business tool of choice. Now they are no different than an Android or iPhone without a big fat BES server behind them. - It's madness!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Appleinator

Model: App5
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Post Thanks: 54

Hosted BES is managed by a 3rd party: mailstreet.com, exchangemymail.com (one of our sponsors).

One thought, if you are so worried about security by using RSA SecurID, why are you pinching pennies by not getting BES? Makes no sense to me.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Post Thanks: 1

BES Express 5 is free with free CALs. Will install easily on the Exchange server so no extra hardware is needed. For one user, I doubt you'd see any performance hit at all.
Closed Thread