BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Model: 9800
Carrier: Cingular, the new AT&T
Posts: 63
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default Anybody else love the Torch?

Please Login to Remove!

All I read are negative reviews and comments about the Torch. But, having had the Torch since launch day, I'm nothing but happy with this phone! I think it's the best I've ever used, and I've had (and tried) lots.

I use this phone heavily for calls, email, surfing, youtube, social media, news, picture-taking - i.e., the entire gamut.

Here are my honest pros and cons:

Cons:
There is a noticeable 2 or 3 second (sometimes longer) lockup after taking my phone out of the holster and unlocking it. It's almost like Windows booting up from sleep mode. The lockup does not affect the answering of incoming calls, but it does prevent me from MAKING outgoing calls for those 2 or 3 seconds. I've installed BeJoos memory optimizer but the lag is still there. I do have a lot of programs (Cardstar, AP News, Blackstar, BeBuzz, BeJoose, DriveSafe.ly, Video Flashlight, Emergency Lights, Law Pod, Bible, WeatherBug, Poynt, Youtube Player Pro, Google Mobile, Pandora, Kindle, Tether) installed and that has definitely led to increased bootup time so that's probably it. If I wiped the phone back to factory state, the lockup is negligible.

The touchscreen doesn't respond as quickly or smoothly to finger gestures as the iPhone. I find I use the trackpad much more than I use the touchscreen.

The glass keyboard is crude and nowhere near as accurate as the iPhone (which has predictive technology), leading to lots of typos. The portrait mode virtual keyboard is particularly hard to type on.

The external speaker is noticeably worse than the Bold 9000's. I think RIM reduced the number of speakers from 2 to 1. The sound is tinnier and speakerphone is harder to understand.

Rumors of doom and gloom - BB is going the way of Palm. At this point, these are just rumors but it's a little disconcerting to keep hearing the doom and gloom reports. I really hope RIM can beat the naysayers because I think they make great phones and I'd hate to see them disappear.

OK, now the pros:

Battery life lasts all day even under heavy heavy use.

Keyboard is best in the biz. No other phone comes even close.

One-handed operability is unparalleled - no other phone comes even close. I can even slide the Torch open one-handed and do everything I need one-handed.

Phone call quality is even better than the Bold 9000's. My wife tells me she can hear much more clearly on the Torch than on my Bold - night and day difference. And the Bold call quality is no slouch either!

Keyboard shortcuts (A=address book, D=notepad, L=calendar, B=browser) still there and still rocks. Android has shortcut icons but that's just not the same as keyboard shortcuts which are faster and permit one-handed operation.

Your choice to use either touchscreen or touchpad. I alternate but lately have been using the touchpad far more than the touch screen. I've found the touchpad is more conducive to one-handed operation than the touchpad. But having the option of both is great!

Tank-like construction. I've dropped this phone but it still looks and runs great. The metallic edges really do ward off bumps and bruises much better than plastic. The slider has developed a slight amount of wiggle but I don't notice it unless I look for it. Overall, I think the slider is sturdy and well-engineered. Plus, when I hold the phone, it FEELS high quality.

Great apps. I know the Blackberry store offers nowhere near the selection as the iphone app store, but I've found nearly everything I need for my purposes. I don't play games on my Blackberry so the lack of games doesn't bother me. My wife has tons of games on her iphone so if that's your interest, an iphone is probably better for you.

OVERALL: I came very close to getting a Samsung Captivate or a Droid X, but after having had the Torch, I am very satisfied with it. I'm glad to see the advent of Android (to counterbalance iphone) but I'm hoping RIM can stick around to complete the trifecta. If you want a physical keyboard with your phone and like one-handed operation, I personally think RIM is the ticket for you.
Offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rockefella For This Useful Post:
Greeby (12-05-2010), Kaddas (01-02-2011), kamibu (02-23-2011), Maranello78 (12-08-2010), ptyler32780 (11-23-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
aiharkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Florida Panhandle
Model: Z10
OS: 10.2.1
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 13,712
Post Thanks: 15
Thanked 498 Times in 485 Posts
Default

I guess you are the person RIM was thinking of .... Not a knock. Just acknowledgement that there is no best device, only the device that is best for you.

This paragraph rang true with me:

Quote:
Great apps. I know the Blackberry store offers nowhere near the selection as the iphone app store, but I've found nearly everything I need for my purposes. I don't play games on my Blackberry so the lack of games doesn't bother me. My wife has tons of games on her iphone so if that's your interest, an iphone is probably better for you.
When I see the new forum members ask for the must have apps, I think how I don't think in terms of the apps themselves, but categories that are must have for me: a local search, mapping/navigation . . . And my needs are very simple. I try different apps in those categories, though in the last couple years I experiment less, and I tend to like the blackberry apps. Blackberry maps and now the new traffic app are great for me.
__________________
- Ira

Last edited by aiharkness : 09-06-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Offline  
Old 09-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Elite
 
knottyrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors
Posts: 6,647
Post Thanks: 264
Thanked 271 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Torch is awsome! I am loving it more and more each day. I use physical keyboard for typing mostly and the gestures for zooming in and out. I dont have any major issues with this device and dont have tons of apps installed yet. I do have a few coming soon.
__________________
irony : many old timer posters have de-evolved into the trolls they once fought
I am on http://supportforums.blackberry.com
BES 10 running sweet for my Z30, Z10 and Q10
Offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
gtivr6r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carpentersville, Illinois
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.246
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 131
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I love mine too!

Love the camera, keyboard, balance, everything! : )
Offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NYC
Model: 9700
OS: 6.0.0.358
Carrier: AT&T, VZW
Posts: 704
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I think RIM had the business minded person in mind when they devoloped the Torch! Some can say its a Media phone as well, but I think its more of an Emergency Media phone. You Tube is so grainy, its almost no fun to watch after seeing the EVO or Galaxy S phones broadcast in HQ! The speakers are just way way to low, tiny to listen to any music! All I'm saying is RIM could have done better, maybe something similar to the Nokia E series, or just something more well thought out. More horsepower power under the hood would not hurt either, along with better build quality.

I'm a Gigantic fan of RIM, and have been using a Blackberry for a very long time, but for those that sit around that say RIM has to do nothing but put out devices like this to stay on top, YOUR WRONG! The device wars are at a high level, and RIM needs to up their Game.

As for using the Torch! I myself can get along, tried going back to my 9700, couldn't do it! Not for the fact of the Torch being a way better device, but because of the things I can do with the Torch, that can't be done with the Bold. Like the simple task of tapping on the screen, love that! And 6.0, I really like 6.0, and feel it will get better in no time. As a phone there almost equal, a very slight edge goes to the Bold, there is a metalic hollow sound when talking on the Torch sometimes, but other then that its fine, and that should maybe be fixed with an update. Hopefully RIM adresses any short coming with the Torch, and sticks around for a while! BBM is a part of my daily life, would hate to loose, or give that up...
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wichita, KS, USA
Model: 9930
OS: 7.1
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 289
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
As a phone there almost equal, a very slight edge goes to the Bold, there is a metalic hollow sound when talking on the Torch sometimes, but other then that its fine, and that should maybe be fixed with an update.
Install the beta 6.0 for the Torch. Mine had that sound, too, but it's gone. I had a 9700 prior. With the new OS, the sound on the Torch is better than any phone I have ever used. Like they are next to you.
Offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
9thline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have to say, this thread has convinced me to hold off on getting the torch. I've been on my 1st Gen Bold and I really don't think I could go from this to a lower resolution screen, smaller keyboard and a crappier speaker. I also read on Crackberry that daily battery pulls were required. I went through that $#it when I got my Bold and thankfully that has been taken care of.

It looks like a great new release for RIM but I think I will pass for now and see what they come up with in the 2nd Gen. Who knows, maybe I'll actually make it to the end of my 3 year Rogers contract!
Offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Big Red
Posts: 14
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thline View Post
I have to say, this thread has convinced me to hold off on getting the torch. I've been on my 1st Gen Bold and I really don't think I could go from this to a lower resolution screen, smaller keyboard and a crappier speaker. I also read on Crackberry that daily battery pulls were required. I went through that $#it when I got my Bold and thankfully that has been taken care of.

It looks like a great new release for RIM but I think I will pass for now and see what they come up with in the 2nd Gen. Who knows, maybe I'll actually make it to the end of my 3 year Rogers contract!
9th, ive had ma Touch now 4 a week, nd i thik ive dun only 1 battry pull yet, I am fla$hing the meormry 2nite w/ hte new 0S. happy happy
Offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ive only had mine for 2 days but so far totally satisfied! I had an iPhone 4 but was really tired of the signal problemns!!
Offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hollywood
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 68
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nope, this morning, I went back to using my Bold 9700. I just missed the clean interface and fast ergo design. Got tired of everything taking twice as long. I still have my Torch, but it's now my secondary to my trusty Bold 9700.
Offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 54
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Aside from the slowness and low resolution screen, I'm pretty happy with the Torch. I'd still recommend it to anyone email-centric. For those who aren't, I think there are faster, higher resolution phones with a better selection of apps. It seems silly that RIM wouldn't realize their resolution wasn't competitive, but I'm hoping the performance improves with future OS6 releases.
Offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hollywood
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 68
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinK View Post
Aside from the slowness and low resolution screen, I'm pretty happy with the Torch. I'd still recommend it to anyone email-centric. For those who aren't, I think there are faster, higher resolution phones with a better selection of apps. It seems silly that RIM wouldn't realize their resolution wasn't competitive, but I'm hoping the performance improves with future OS6 releases.
Not to pick a fight, but how is resolution tied into email? You mention being email-centric. I consider myself just that, getting between 300 and 500 business related emails daily. Since the early days of Blackberry and a Motorola text pager before that resolution has not been a factor. I've taken a different approach. For the instances I need "great resolution" and a workable browser and other nifty apps, I have gone to an iPad which I carry in my work satchel. I have relegated my Blackberry to phone calls and emails only-- For that, resolution is not a concern to me.

Last edited by brill : 09-08-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry Elite
 
knottyrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors
Posts: 6,647
Post Thanks: 264
Thanked 271 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Torch and Bold 9700 have same resolution of 480x360
__________________
irony : many old timer posters have de-evolved into the trolls they once fought
I am on http://supportforums.blackberry.com
BES 10 running sweet for my Z30, Z10 and Q10
Offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,796
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 441 Times in 381 Posts
Default

I gave up on the Torch today. I have low expectations - which I do when any new model comes out - and the Torch easily exceeded them. But it is not quite there yet. I was getting tired of taking the device out of the holster and either locking it, or magically bringing up the Manage Connections app. I shut the radio down a handful of time. No way to prevent that. And the views, with no control over what is shown, is a complete loser for me.

One day the Torch will be all grown up (.214 was fast; no lag and workable) but right now it isn't ready for me.

Back to my trusty 9700.
Offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hollywood
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 68
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I gave up on the Torch today. I have low expectations - which I do when any new model comes out - and the Torch easily exceeded them. But it is not quite there yet. I was getting tired of taking the device out of the holster and either locking it, or magically bringing up the Manage Connections app. I shut the radio down a handful of time. No way to prevent that. And the views, with no control over what is shown, is a complete loser for me.

One day the Torch will be all grown up (.214 was fast; no lag and workable) but right now it isn't ready for me.

Back to my trusty 9700.
After using my Torch for the past few weeks, and today going back to my Bold 9700, it feels liberating. You'd think I went from driving a dump truck to driving a Ferrari. The Bold is lighter, more nimble, and just feels right. Some people are hung up thinking that newer is better. In my opinion, if you showed a group of people both a Torch and a Bold 9700 side by side, who had no prior contact with Blackberries, they would find the Bold to be the more user-friendly phone.
Offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
mookia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT & T
Posts: 50
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Torch

I have my Bold 9000 and still love it. I got torch and I always slide and use physical keyboard over and over. I tried to use touchscreen but cant beat phyiscal keyboard. But the memory I love more on Torch than Bold. My husband has 9650 and I think it is perfect for me because I dont have to slide out and in frequently and they both have same memory. I can install lot of apps on it. I try to keep Torch for few more days till I give up or not. Geez. Torch is nice but slide is kind of hassle for me. I can imagine I would ever hate iphone, NO QUESTION!
Offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: 9800
OS: OS 6
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT Wireless
Posts: 98
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i think everyone has raised valid observations, likes and dislikes.

I have a hard time to fall in love with the Torch, because I don't feel that my user experience on how I use a blackberry has evolved for the better by getting the Torch and dumping my smooth operating 9700.

Things take longer for me to do what I have been enjoying to do, e.g. reading news. Why Viigo was not included as part of an improved software offering for the Torch is beyond me...and RIM owns Viigo. The web browser is new, but it is not workable...why in the world do I need to zoom everything to make things readable, at least with a column view, I jump to something readable immediately on the OS5.

Many applications have not been written specifically for the Torch, and I truly believe that it may explain alot about the productivity when using the Torch compared to the 9700, in the same way, many BB devices simply don't function well until many authorized or non-authorized device software updates after the initial lounch.

Many co-workers of mine all returned back from the holidays with new smartphones....not even one person got a new Blackberry...in fact Androids phones..seems to be going gangbuster.

Two minor things would have probably made a lot of difference...for show and tell, much better screen and a more sophisticated processor which I iniitally didn't want to believe but after seeing some androids in action and the iphone 4...there was no need to put my torch out for a demo...

The sad news, why didn't RIM use some folks from the BB forum for opinions and feedback to produce a "killer device"...which would appeal either to the Ipod/android -latest gadget user....or a loyal blackberry enthusiast that has some healthy expectations..

I am sticking with my Torch...for now, I think the form factor, one can get to use it...if RIM makes continued sharp improvements on the device software and perhaps come up with an updated Torch 2...improved processor and screen resolution..throw in some hardcore - outstanding- software..viigo, dataviz, maybe there is lift after .and cut the number of different devices! You can only ask a developer to support so many devices...they have limited resources too..and RIM should throw all the dollars into one "rolls royce"model..stop making models which doesn't have all the whistle...but rather give users the full RIM experience so they stick with RIM.

My personal thoughts....again...

Last edited by rontiu : 09-08-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NYC
Model: 9700
OS: 6.0.0.358
Carrier: AT&T, VZW
Posts: 704
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontiu View Post
i think everyone has raised valid observations, likes and dislikes.

I have a hard time to fall in love with the Torch, because I don't feel that my user experience on how I use a blackberry has evolved for the better by getting the Torch and dumping my smooth operating 9700.

Things take longer for me to do what I have been enjoying to do, e.g. reading news. Why Viigo was not included as part of an improved software offering for the Torch is beyond me...and RIM owns Viigo. The web browser is new, but it is not workable...why in the world do I need to zoom everything to make things readable, at least with a column view, I jump to something readable immediately on the OS5.

Many applications have not been written specifically for the Torch, and I truly believe that it may explain alot about the productivity when using the Torch compared to the 9700, in the same way, many BB devices simply don't function well until many authorized or non-authorized device software updates after the initial lounch.

Many co-workers of mine all returned back from the holidays with new smartphones....not even one person got a new Blackberry...in fact Androids phones..seems to be going gangbuster.

Two minor things would have probably made a lot of difference...for show and tell, much better screen and a more sophisticated processor which I iniitally didn't want to believe but after seeing some androids in action and the iphone 4...there was no need to put my torch out for a demo...

The sad news, why didn't RIM use some folks from the BB forum for opinions and feedback to produce a "killer device"...which would appeal either to the Ipod/android -latest gadget user....or a loyal blackberry enthusiast that has some healthy expectations..

I am sticking with my Torch...for now, I think the form factor, one can get to use it...if RIM makes continued sharp improvements on the device software and perhaps come up with an updated Torch 2...improved processor and screen resolution..throw in some hardcore - outstanding- software..viigo, dataviz, maybe there is lift after .and cut the number of different devices! You can only ask a developer to support so many devices...they have limited resources too..and RIM should throw all the dollars into one "rolls royce"model..stop making models which doesn't have all the whistle...but rather give users the full RIM experience so they stick with RIM.


My personal thoughts....again...

Most of your points are Dead on! RIM really has to stop with the BS, and quit putting out so many models! I say make one low end, for people that just need email, and a phone. And one high end for those of us that want something that's fairly snappy with great media. It would make all the sense in the world, but with the way RIM is going, they don't really care what we have to say in regards to what they put out!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 05:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodaphone
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Can't wait for the Torch to arrive in England. I can't upgrade until next July so will keep my eye open.
Offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
aiharkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Florida Panhandle
Model: Z10
OS: 10.2.1
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 13,712
Post Thanks: 15
Thanked 498 Times in 485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Most of your points are Dead on! RIM really has to stop with the BS, and quit putting out so many models! I say make one low end, for people that just need email, and a phone. And one high end for those of us that want something that's fairly snappy with great media. It would make all the sense in the world, but with the way RIM is going, they don't really care what we have to say in regards to what they put out!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
RIM is not blindly designing devices ignorant of what the markplace wants. They know very well who the Torch users are. And just because it isn't the best device for you, that doesn't mean it isn't the best device for someone.

And obviously you do not get market surveys from RIM. I'm sure many here get them all the time like I do.

RIM is paying attention.
__________________
- Ira
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.