BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 9800 Battery

Please Login to Remove!

I purchased 9800 last week. I have completely charged the battery many times. I make sure apps are turned off in the background, I turn off 3G, turn off wifi, turn off data, turned off bluetooth etc. I turned off the bb, went to bed and in 5-7 hours, battery completely drained. Any suggestions? Or should i expect that it will drain and keeping it plugged in at night be a must? Doesn't seem like battery should drain that quick with nothing running? I have also deleted apps I do not use. I have quite a bit of media loaded, but is resident on 8G memory card and not bb. Any suggestions?
Offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,033
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default Re: 9800 Battery

Maybe this will help:

From our FAQ:Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ
__________________
-->>BB FAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter


If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub : 04-26-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Offline  
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
thebamafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Georgia
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.246
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: 9800 Battery

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
I'm having the same problem. I have had Torch since January. My battery would easily make it all day and part of the next for the first month and a half. After that it started lasting only 5 to 6 hours. Since then I have bought a new battery, new charger and deleted all my apps. Still acting that way. When it lasted more then a day I had wifi, bluetooth and gps on all of the time and it didn't adversely affect the battery. Now I have stopped them, but it isn't helping.

My OS is at Bundle 695. Is anybody aware of possible battery issues with this OS?

Also as I said earlier, I have deleted all of my apps, is there anything that could be doing perpetual syncing that could be causing this problem.

Note - I have read the faq. Nothing as helped. Thx.

Last edited by thebamafan : 04-27-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Offline  
Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,033
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default Re: 9800 Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebamafan View Post
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
I'm having the same problem. I have had Torch since January. My battery would easily make it all day and part of the next for the first month and a half. After that it started lasting only 5 to 6 hours. Since then I have bought a new battery, new charger and deleted all my apps. Still acting that way. When it lasted more then a day I had wifi, bluetooth and gps on all of the time and it didn't adversely affect the battery. Now I have stopped them, but it isn't helping.

My OS is at Bundle 695. Is anybody aware of possible battery issues with this OS?

Also as I said earlier, I have deleted all of my apps, is there anything that could be doing perpetual syncing that could be causing this problem.

Note - I have read the faq. Nothing as helped. Thx.
It is considered bad manners to hijack another user's thread.

Do you have a 9800 as in this post or an 8310 per your profile? Please update your profile if you now have a 9800.

You must have a data intensive app in the back ground - facebook, GoogleMaps, browser, etc. Have you tried a battery pull?
__________________
-->>BB FAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter


If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Offline  
Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
thebamafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Georgia
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.246
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
It is considered bad manners to hijack another user's thread.

Do you have a 9800 as in this post or an 8310 per your profile? Please update your profile if you now have a 9800.

You must have a data intensive app in the back ground - facebook, GoogleMaps, browser, etc. Have you tried a battery pull?
I apologize if you consider this to be a hi-jacking. I have the same problem he has on the same device, and I felt I could add some more thoughts to the problem since I have had my Torch longer. Yes, I do have a 9800. I mentioned Torch in my post. I have been using BB Forums Mobile which does not allow profile updates. I'll take care of that. Thx.

Now as for the app comment, I stated in my post that I deleted all of my apps, and I still have the problem. Facebook, Google Maps, etc. are included in "all of my apps".

Since I have deleted all my apps and did get a new battery, is there anything in the OS that could be doing intensive syncing or something else that would drain the battery. I keep Location, WiFi and Bluetooth turned off.

Here is my OS information.
BlackBerry® 9800 smartphone (3G, Wi-Fi)
6.0 Bundle 695 (v6.0.0.246, Platform 6.4.0.105)
3G Bands 1,2,5,6


Thanks for the help.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to thebamafan For This Useful Post:
mayflower (05-06-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
thebamafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Georgia
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.246
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPPPP View Post
I purchased 9800 last week. I have completely charged the battery many times. I make sure apps are turned off in the background, I turn off 3G, turn off wifi, turn off data, turned off bluetooth etc. I turned off the bb, went to bed and in 5-7 hours, battery completely drained. Any suggestions? Or should i expect that it will drain and keeping it plugged in at night be a must? Doesn't seem like battery should drain that quick with nothing running? I have also deleted apps I do not use. I have quite a bit of media loaded, but is resident on 8G memory card and not bb. Any suggestions?
If it is only a week old, are you still within the warranty period that allows you to get it replaced? Maybe you have a defective phone.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Offline  
Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,033
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default Re: 9800 Battery

Agree with the above. See if you can exchange it. I ran .246 for a long time before going to .526. Mine will run about 2 days between charges, but I always keep it plugged in while in the office.
__________________
-->>BB FAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter


If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dubdub For This Useful Post:
mayflower (05-06-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,033
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default Re: 9800 Battery

thebamafan,

As for hijacking, it is tough enough to keep track of the answers to one person's problem and help get it sorted. Add another, even if it is similar, it can be too much. Always best to start a new thread if the similar one doesn't help you.
__________________
-->>BB FAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter


If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Offline  
Old 04-29-2011, 06:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
davemack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.246
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 184
Post Thanks: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 9800 Battery

Just for FYI to the OP for comparison purposes, I am still running .246 on my Torch which is about six weeks old now. I haven't added any apps but I haven't shut too much off either. I don't keep Bluetooth on but my location service is always on along with my WiFi. I just checked and my battery is at 45% and this is starting the third day without charging it. Hopefully, you can find something running that shouldn't be.
__________________
"Happiness is a function of accepting what is." - Werner Erhard (from Refdesk.com)
Offline  
Old 04-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
DallasFlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.666
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Posts: 1,741
Post Thanks: 30
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: 9800 Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
thebamafan,

As for hijacking, it is tough enough to keep track of the answers to one person's problem and help get it sorted. Add another, even if it is similar, it can be too much. Always best to start a new thread if the similar one doesn't help you.
Someone **** in your Wheaties today or something? The poster said he had the SAME problem and described what he had already tried to solve it. That's good info for the original poster too. If no one with the same problem is supposed to comment about it in an existing thread, we'll have a whole lot more redundant threads, and not nearly as much help for people. I bet half the threads in here have comments similar to that. That post wasn't even close to a "highjacking" which is when someone tries to start talking about a DIFFERENT topic than the thread was started about.
__________________
Top 50 Year Win%: Nebraska-.785 tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740
Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The HUSKER Tradition!

Last edited by DallasFlier : 04-29-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to DallasFlier For This Useful Post:
glassrover (05-02-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
thebamafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Georgia
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.246
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPPPP View Post
I purchased 9800 last week. I have completely charged the battery many times. I make sure apps are turned off in the background, I turn off 3G, turn off wifi, turn off data, turned off bluetooth etc. I turned off the bb, went to bed and in 5-7 hours, battery completely drained. Any suggestions? Or should i expect that it will drain and keeping it plugged in at night be a must? Doesn't seem like battery should drain that quick with nothing running? I have also deleted apps I do not use. I have quite a bit of media loaded, but is resident on 8G memory card and not bb. Any suggestions?
@JLPPP - Do charge your phone only when it is fully discharged or do you "top it off" like the FAQ mentioned? I'm asking because recently I started charging my phone very frequently - while sitting at my laptop, in the car, etc. I was doing this primarily to make sure it didn't go out on me when I need it. As I have said in an earlier post, my phone wasn't making it 5 hours, but after a couple of days of "topping it off" like the FAQ mentioned, my battery is lasting longer. I can leave it off the charger overnight now and it still has a good charge in the morning. It seems what is mentioned in the FAQ should be stated as a requirement for good battery life not just a recommendation.

I haven't re-installed any apps yet. I'm going to give it a couple more days, but this seems to be the way to go. I'll post again if I see a big change either way.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads for: 9800 Battery
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slashed Battery Icon fonejunkie General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold 3 06-08-2009 08:11 AM
FIRST LOOK & REVIEW: Seidio Innocell 2600mAh Extended Battery for 8900 Curve clintonroche General 8900 Series Discussion - Javelin 6 03-20-2009 11:28 AM
2 questions about a drained battery Roll General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm 3 03-14-2009 06:47 PM
10 reasons why I'm sticking with my 8100 and not getting an iPhone. tennapop General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl 69 08-02-2007 02:23 PM
Blackberry 7290 Battery Issues linuxloser General Legacy Device Discussion 3 09-16-2006 06:18 PM





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.