BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 56
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Unable to Open Messages

Please Login to Remove!

My Torch is literarily 2 hours old....

I cannot read email messages. The emails come in, I see them listed. But when I click them with the scroll button, or tap on the screen, nothing happens.

Help!
Offline  
Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,803
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

Have you tried popping the battery out and then back it - that's the first step in troubleshooting...
Offline  
Old 09-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 56
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Have you tried popping the battery out and then back it - that's the first step in troubleshooting...
Yes..twice already.
Offline  
Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,803
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

Step 2 - take out the microSD memory card (assuming you are using one)...
Offline  
Old 09-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
gmichelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago
Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon & T-Mobile
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymen View Post
My Torch is literarily 2 hours old....

I cannot read email messages. The emails come in, I see them listed. But when I click them with the scroll button, or tap on the screen, nothing happens.

Help!
Does your web browser work? If it doesn't - you need to reinstall OS - you are missing some components, I am assuming it's WebKit. Download OS from Verizon's web site, install it, run Desktop manager, connect your Torch and it will do update. Should work after that. I had exactly same issue.

Last edited by gmichelson : 09-14-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: was missing part of the suggestion.
Offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 56
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmichelson View Post
Does your web browser work? If it doesn't - you need to reinstall OS - you are missing some components, I am assuming it's WebKit. Download OS from Verizon's web site, install it, run Desktop manager, connect your Torch and it will do update. Should work after that. I had exactly same issue.
The browser doesn't work. MyVerizon app doesn't work.

I am just going to take it back to Verizon and get another one. This is a brand new phone. I picked it up yesterday at 5pm.
Offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
gmichelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago
Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon & T-Mobile
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

Try OS reinstall - it should save you trip to Verizon store.
Offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 56
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

I took it back to the store, and they gave me another one. This time, I tried it out right there in the store and the same thing happened - would not open emails, would not browse. I suspect it may be something with the batch that particular store has.

There is just something wrong with having to do an OS re-install on a brand new device.
Offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,803
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

Amazing that there are no other reports of this.
What model BB do you have?
Offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 56
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

Its the new Torch, 9810, launched today by Verizon.
Offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
DallasFlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.666
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Posts: 1,741
Post Thanks: 30
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymen View Post
Its the new Torch, 9810, launched today by Verizon.
That's very interesting, since the 9810 is a GMS phone, and Verizon is a CDMA carrier. Just checked on BlackBerry.com to confirm that, no CDMA version listed, and listed as only available from AT&T in the US. Nor does the Verizon site show or mention the 9810 - which isn't surprising. You're not talking about the CDMA Torch 9850, are you?
__________________
Top 50 Year Win%: Nebraska-.785 tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740
Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The HUSKER Tradition!

Last edited by DallasFlier : 09-15-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
gmichelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago
Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon & T-Mobile
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

You can get to the actual error message if you try to open right type of the message - for me it was BB registration message from Verizon network, when I did it, I got following error - don't remember beginning of it, but it ended with following string : "... Error message
Shared webkit instance unavailable: Failed to start UMP: (9) executable not found". Googling it took me to reload OS solution I listed earlier. Sounds like this problem happened on other OS 7 devices first.
Offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 56
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
That's very interesting, since the 9810 is a GMS phone, and Verizon is a CDMA carrier. Just checked on BlackBerry.com to confirm that, no CDMA version listed, and listed as only available from AT&T in the US. Nor does the Verizon site show or mention the 9810 - which isn't surprising. You're not talking about the CDMA Torch 9850, are you?
Apologies... Its the 9850.
Offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 56
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmichelson View Post
You can get to the actual error message if you try to open right type of the message - for me it was BB registration message from Verizon network, when I did it, I got following error - don't remember beginning of it, but it ended with following string : "... Error message
Shared webkit instance unavailable: Failed to start UMP: (9) executable not found". Googling it took me to reload OS solution I listed earlier. Sounds like this problem happened on other OS 7 devices first.
Was your device brand new too? Or had you used it for a while.?

Mine was brand new, straight out of the box.
Offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
gmichelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago
Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon & T-Mobile
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymen View Post
Was your device brand new too? Or had you used it for a while.?

Mine was brand new, straight out of the box.
As new as it gets. It was not working the since the moment Enterprise activation finished until I reloaded OS. And has been fine ever since.
Offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: BELL
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

This issue is a software glitch on a specific build of software for the specifically where you will go to open a message and it will only highlight. This has since been fixed with a software update , if anyone needs help please let me know.

Last edited by BradTN : 12-19-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Offline  
Old 12-20-2011, 05:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,803
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default Re: Unable to Open Messages

How is your comment related to a 3 month old issue where nothing would work on a brand new 9850?
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads for: Unable to Open Messages
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to Open Certain Excel Documents bell30012 General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour 2 08-15-2009 10:48 AM
Can't open forwarded messages wcameron General BlackBerry Discussion 1 10-29-2008 01:40 PM
July 18-19-20 - RIM scheduled outages, Asia Pacific/Europe Middle East JSanders Network Outages - powered by DataOutages.com 0 07-16-2008 04:08 PM
Unable to open attachments - Unable to send picutres hjason General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve 0 07-11-2008 01:28 PM
Unable to erase messages nuller007 General BlackBerry Discussion 1 05-30-2006 03:00 PM





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.