BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2015, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Please Login to Remove!

I am very used to my 9800 Torch and do not want a modern smartphone, which would only confuse me. However I would like to get the 9810 Torch instead so I can get version 7 of the OS. In particular I want to use Uber with my smartphone. I have an account with AT&T. Is this possible ?

If I have to switch cell phone providers so I can get a smartphone I am comfortable with I will. I hate the Android OS and the IPhone and would not consider using either for my simple needs.
Offline  
Old 07-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: Cheerios
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 9,344
Post Thanks: 73
Thanked 775 Times in 746 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Yes, I have a 9810 and like it over most others.
You can get a 9810 at different places new or used. I would go for a new one that is not locked to a specific carrier to avoid issues.

all that's needed is for you to do a backup of the old one using DeskTop Manager software ( free ) and after that do a "switch devices"

This link will get you the DM software.

BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry OS Software - US
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button


9810 on BES
Z10 on BIS
Offline  
Old 07-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Yes, I have a 9810 and like it over most others.
You can get a 9810 at different places new or used. I would go for a new one that is not locked to a specific carrier to avoid issues.

all that's needed is for you to do a backup of the old one using DeskTop Manager software ( free ) and after that do a "switch devices"

This link will get you the DM software.

BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry OS Software - US
Where can I get a new 9810 that is not locked to a specific carrier ? Will that new 9810 work with my AT&T account ?

I cannot get the BlackBerry Desktop Software ( see my other post to which you replied ).
Offline  
Old 07-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: Cheerios
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 9,344
Post Thanks: 73
Thanked 775 Times in 746 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

the 9810 seems to be available on Amazon.

If your on corporate PC or cell hone you may be restricted by the IT policy's your company imposes. If not then your have some type of anti virus software or firewall setup restricting your access to this link.

As for UBER, it offers an App on Appworld for the blackberry.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=US&lang=en


So bottom line is, Are you in the US? are you on any type of corporate cell or computer? do you have a data plan for blackberry with ATT?
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button


9810 on BES
Z10 on BIS
Offline  
Old 07-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
the 9810 seems to be available on Amazon.

If your on corporate PC or cell hone you may be restricted by the IT policy's your company imposes. If not then your have some type of anti virus software or firewall setup restricting your access to this link.

As for UBER, it offers an App on Appworld for the blackberry.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=US&lang=en


So bottom line is, Are you in the US? are you on any type of corporate cell or computer? do you have a data plan for blackberry with ATT?
I am in the US. I am using a personal computer and a personal cellphone. I have a data plan for Blackberry with AT&T. When I spoke to an AT&T representative online they did not offer an upgrade path from the 9800 to the 9810 at all. That is why I think I have to do it myself. So any information about the steps I need to do once I get a 9810 would be most welcome.

I do see Blackberry Torch 9810 Unlocked offers online. i assume that this is what I want.
Offline  
Old 07-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Elite
 
knottyrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Model: PRIV
OS: 5.1.1
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors
Posts: 7,197
Post Thanks: 368
Thanked 374 Times in 344 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

use device switcher to move your data over, its fairly easy
__________________
unlock your phone here http://freemyblackberry.com/
I am on http://supportforums.blackberry.com
BES 12 running sweet for my DTEK60
Offline  
Old 07-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Model: bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: MTN
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Please I mistakenly deleted a contact and I don't know how 2 get it back! I really need the contact because I don't have anither means of contacting the person, any help please?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Offline  
Old 07-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: Cheerios
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 9,344
Post Thanks: 73
Thanked 775 Times in 746 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

As with all cell phones unless you have a backup of the contact or other information your out of luck.

If you ever did do a sync with Outlook or other email application it may be there but if not then it's gone.

for the future go to blackberry.com and download the desktop manager app for the PC and use it to do a backup of the phone data.
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button


9810 on BES
Z10 on BIS
Offline  
Old 07-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: Cheerios
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 9,344
Post Thanks: 73
Thanked 775 Times in 746 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiener View Post
I am in the US. I am using a personal computer and a personal cellphone. I have a data plan for Blackberry with AT&T. When I spoke to an AT&T representative online they did not offer an upgrade path from the 9800 to the 9810 at all. That is why I think I have to do it myself. So any information about the steps I need to do once I get a 9810 would be most welcome.

I do see Blackberry Torch 9810 Unlocked offers online. i assume that this is what I want.

this link will give you the details for doing a switch.

KB23677-How to switch devices using BlackBerry Desktop Software
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button


9810 on BES
Z10 on BIS
Offline  
Old 07-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
this link will give you the details for doing a switch.

KB23677-How to switch devices using BlackBerry Desktop Software
Thanks for the link ! Much appreciated.

Now all I have to do is choose the right 9810 Unlocked online and order it. Is it more or less guaranteed that a 9810 Unlocked will still work properly with my AT&T account or is there something I have to look for when I buy it ?
Offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Elite
 
knottyrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Model: PRIV
OS: 5.1.1
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors
Posts: 7,197
Post Thanks: 368
Thanked 374 Times in 344 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

you need AT&T branded device is you want 3G to work on it.
__________________
unlock your phone here http://freemyblackberry.com/
I am on http://supportforums.blackberry.com
BES 12 running sweet for my DTEK60
Offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: Cheerios
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 9,344
Post Thanks: 73
Thanked 775 Times in 746 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Knottyrope is bringing up a good point. Not all 9810's work on any carrier. It's best to verify the carrier it will work on before you purchase it.
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button


9810 on BES
Z10 on BIS
Offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Knottyrope is bringing up a good point. Not all 9810's work on any carrier. It's best to verify the carrier it will work on before you purchase it.
What should I be looking for when I buy the 9810 online ? Do I look for an "unlocked 9810" as well as an "AT&T branded device" ? If not what is the terminology I should be looking for to make sure I will buy the correct device which I can use with my AT&T account ?

I have found at New Egg, whom I trust having bought many computer products over the years in building my own computers, this 9810 at BlackBerry Torch Gray 3G Unlocked GSM Blackberry OS Phone w/ Blackberry OS 7.0 / 3.2" Screen / 5.0MP Camera (9810) - Newegg.com. The specification seems to say that it is compatible with AT&T 3G. But I do not see anything that says "AT&T branded device". Nonetheless it seems as if it should work for me. Or should I be looking to buy my 9810 somewhere else where it says "AT&T branded device" ?

Needless to say talking to AT&T themselves is pretty hopeless. They only want to "upgrade" me to a modern smartphone.

Last edited by eldiener : 07-30-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Elite
 
knottyrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Model: PRIV
OS: 5.1.1
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors
Posts: 7,197
Post Thanks: 368
Thanked 374 Times in 344 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

that one has the AT&T 3g bands needed
__________________
unlock your phone here http://freemyblackberry.com/
I am on http://supportforums.blackberry.com
BES 12 running sweet for my DTEK60
Offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: Cheerios
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 9,344
Post Thanks: 73
Thanked 775 Times in 746 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

I like the 9810 for it's features and size. I still use it for most commercial work.
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button


9810 on BES
Z10 on BIS
Offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
that one has the AT&T 3g bands needed
Thanks. That's the one I ordered.
Offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
I like the 9810 for it's features and size. I still use it for most commercial work.
I ordered it from New Egg and hopefully once I get it I can switch from my current 9800 to the 9810 easily enough. If I have any problems doing so I will ask about it here. I look forward to using the 9810 and having Uber and some other apps which I would like to use on version 7. Otherwise it should be similar enough to the 9800 where I don't have to learn anything to use it.
Offline  
Old 07-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: Cheerios
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 9,344
Post Thanks: 73
Thanked 775 Times in 746 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Good luck and do not hesitate to return with any questions. also you can do a forum search to see if any questions have been asked before to get a quick answer if one of our members is not online when your asking.
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button


9810 on BES
Z10 on BIS
Offline  
Old 08-08-2015, 11:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Good luck and do not hesitate to return with any questions. also you can do a forum search to see if any questions have been asked before to get a quick answer if one of our members is not online when your asking.
I have received my 9810 Torch cellphone.

I am able to connect my old device on my computer so that the Blackberry Desktop software opens and recognizes my old device attached to a USB port. It have already done a full backup of my old device.

I do not see any memory on my new device. The new device came with an F-S1 battery so I assume I can use that. I also assume I move the AT&T microSD card from the old device to the new device. But evidently I need to buy memory for my new device or else take the memory from the old device and use it on the new device. Is the latter possible to do and still switch the device properly using the instructions at KB23677 ? Or is it better to buy new memory for the new device ? If the latter, what is the memory I am looking for when I order it online. I am in no hurry so I would rather do things right.
Offline  
Old 08-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiener View Post
I have received my 9810 Torch cellphone.

I am able to connect my old device on my computer so that the Blackberry Desktop software opens and recognizes my old device attached to a USB port. It have already done a full backup of my old device.

I do not see any memory on my new device. The new device came with an F-S1 battery so I assume I can use that. I also assume I move the AT&T microSD card from the old device to the new device. But evidently I need to buy memory for my new device or else take the memory from the old device and use it on the new device. Is the latter possible to do and still switch the device properly using the instructions at KB23677 ? Or is it better to buy new memory for the new device ? If the latter, what is the memory I am looking for when I order it online. I am in no hurry so I would rather do things right.
I now understand that the memory is the microSD extra media memory and I just transfer this memory, along with the Sim chip, from my old device to my new device as part of the switching process.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads for: Upgrading from 9800 to 9810
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torch 9800 Sending Multiple Texts After Upgrading to New Software aiwen BlackBerry Help 1 06-19-2011 08:22 PM
Torch (9800) does not turn on after upgrading danielcarlini BlackBerry Help 2 06-07-2011 09:17 AM
Incomplete calendar sync from Torch 9800 to Microsoft Outlook 2010 gmerrick BlackBerry Help 1 03-25-2011 01:21 PM
Upgrading From 9000 to 9800 - Thoughts icurschwartz General 9800 Series Discussion - Torch 22 11-01-2010 07:28 PM

House of Doolittle EcoTones Monthly Desk Pad Calendar Blackberry
$30.45
House of Doolittle EcoTones Monthly Desk Pad Calendar Blackberry pictureBlack & Berry Marble Cutting Machine, BB-2605, 1050W, 12000rpm
$70.78
Black & Berry Marble Cutting Machine, BB-2605, 1050W, 12000rpm pictureBlack Berry UNLOCK CODE BlackBerry PRIV 4G
$1.99
Black Berry UNLOCK CODE BlackBerry  PRIV 4G pictureBlack Berry UNLOCK CODE BlackBerry Z30 GSM 4G
$1.99
Black Berry UNLOCK CODE BlackBerry  Z30 GSM 4G pictureParmanent Unlock code for BlackBerry - PRIV 4G
$1.99
Parmanent Unlock code for BlackBerry - PRIV 4G  picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.