BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: Z-10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VERIZON
Posts: 47
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Charging Notification

Please Login to Remove!

When charging my 9930 shouldn't the red light blink until it is fully charged and than turn green
Offline  
Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: I747
OS: 4.1.1
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 2,340
Post Thanks: 43
Thanked 117 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: Charging Notification

Flashing LED - BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 Smartphones - User Guide - BlackBerry Bold Series - 7.0
__________________
The Search tool and BlackBerryFAQ answer many questions.
Offline  
Old 09-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Magic Bananas
 
ifonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Braselton, Georgia
Model: iP4S
OS: 5.1
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,350
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Charging Notification

Quote:
Originally Posted by hglass View Post
When charging my 9930 shouldn't the red light blink until it is fully charged and than turn green
No, it should not.
__________________
Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Offline  
Old 09-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,804
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default Re: Charging Notification

Only when the device is powered off. It will blink yellow/orange until it is charged.
Now how many people turn their BBs off and charge them is another question. I had to power mine down to test this.
Offline  
Old 09-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Latino Hasta La Muerte
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denville, NJ.
Model: 7250
OS: 4.1
PIN: G!!!
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9,039
Post Thanks: 51
Thanked 305 Times in 293 Posts
Default Re: Charging Notification

I never power down. I only do a restart when I've installed a new app that requires it, or on the rare occurrence when I need to clear up strange behavior. I don't get any LED signal when charging or when fully charged. I only get a chime to let me know the battery is full.
Offline  
Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Preroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9930
OS: 7.0.0.254
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 420
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Charging Notification

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Only when the device is powered off. It will blink yellow/orange until it is charged.
Now how many people turn their BBs off and charge them is another question. I had to power mine down to test this.
Somewhat off topic but it will definitely speed up the charge with the phone off however. I personally use a generic external charger with a high mAh output. I can usually charge from 15%-100% in about one hour. Another option was to use the Blackberry premium charger (like for the Playbook) which has a higher mAh output too.

Rambo-> How do you set up the chime alert? Just curious.
Offline  
Old 09-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Latino Hasta La Muerte
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denville, NJ.
Model: 7250
OS: 4.1
PIN: G!!!
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9,039
Post Thanks: 51
Thanked 305 Times in 293 Posts
Default Re: Charging Notification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preroll View Post
Somewhat off topic but it will definitely speed up the charge with the phone off however. I personally use a generic external charger with a high mAh output. I can usually charge from 15%-100% in about one hour. Another option was to use the Blackberry premium charger (like for the Playbook) which has a higher mAh output too.

Rambo-> How do you set up the chime alert? Just curious.
It's just the default setting. My 9650 did this too. I don't even see a way to change it.
Offline  
Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Preroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9930
OS: 7.0.0.254
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 420
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Charging Notification

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
It's just the default setting. My 9650 did this too. I don't even see a way to change it.
Hmm... Ok. Before I got the external charger I used to plug in the phone to charge but then again I probably charged the phone while it was off to speed it up which would eliminate the chime. I don't recall this on my old 8330 though. Maybe it's something that was added after OS4.x.

Thanks.
Offline  
Old 09-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
stevew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal
Model: Z10
OS: Latest...
Carrier: Koodo Mobile
Posts: 1,354
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 52 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: Charging Notification

I've never seen that behavior either, on any Blackberry. Maybe it only happens with the device powered off?
__________________
Steve (Besadmin)

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Offline  
Old 09-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Airport lounges and starbuxxx
Model: 9900
OS: 7.0.0.296
Carrier: Vodafone Business
Posts: 573
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Charging Notification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preroll View Post
I personally use a generic external charger with a high mAh output. I can usually charge from 15%-100% in about one hour.

Although the circuitry in a charger is pretty simple in principle and modern chargers use a filter circuit and a grounding loop straight after the rectifier to avoid the whole thing going Timothy McVeigh in your face you should really avoid it. You're stressing the components possibly beyond rated tolerances and risk overheating and explosion. i bet it gets really hot really fast. I would advice against it.
Offline  
Old 09-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Preroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9930
OS: 7.0.0.254
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 420
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Charging Notification

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist View Post
Although the circuitry in a charger is pretty simple in principle and modern chargers use a filter circuit and a grounding loop straight after the rectifier to avoid the whole thing going Timothy McVeigh in your face you should really avoid it. You're stressing the components possibly beyond rated tolerances and risk overheating and explosion. i bet it gets really hot really fast. I would advice against it.
Actually not too hot. Just a little warm. This is the generic charger I've been using:

Amazon.com: Lenmar Bcuni3 Adjustable Battery Charger (with LCD Display): Camera & Photo

I was thinking of getting the JM-1 Charging bundle:

BlackBerryJM1BatteryChargingBundle - RIM US

and using the premium charger to speed up the charge:

BlackBerryPremiumCharger - RIM US

Apparently the premium charger has a higher mAh output or "increased charging rate" compared to the standard charger.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads for: Charging Notification
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Invalid PIN error - BES Express Medivilan BES Admin Corner 9 05-13-2010 01:20 PM
Charging battery led notification? miamirulz29 General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold 4 08-01-2009 10:57 PM
Hardware Review: Battery Pack for BlackBerry Wireless Handheld funkym BBF Reviews 0 11-20-2008 09:38 AM
Remote Database Connection Pool kerseyr BES Admin Corner 10 03-25-2008 06:15 AM





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.