Causes all the apps to need to be re-loaded and all the sign on and passwords to be keyed in. Lost a couple I would have to pay for again to get back. Even VZ Navigator. If I would have known that I never would have done it. Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
No, but they give no indicator how invasive the update will be. It is almost like starting with a new BB, short of the enterprise mail. Through another coincidence of a laptop upgrade Friday, I lost my backed up BB desktop files. The very least they should do is ask if you want to back up the apps first. Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
It isn't almost like starting over with a new device, it is like starting over with a new device. That is the way it is and always has been with the handsets. I don't know why you were so taken by surprise. And backing up a device as well as third-party apps if necessary is basic best practice. Blame yourself.
1. Never update unless you have a clear understanding of what you are updating to.
2. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS do a manual backup of your data before doing any update.
3. Never do an OTA update. Just don't. Use a computer.
4. If you insist on updating OTA, follow number two above first.
5. Understand what happens when you do a device update in terms of applications.