BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 9900 Series Discussion - Bold Touch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9900-series-discussion-bold-touch/)
-   -   Skype for BB Bold9900 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9900-series-discussion-bold-touch/259537-skype-bb-bold9900.html)

rajujaali 05-17-2012 01:44 PM

Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Hi,
Can i use skype on Bold9900?Pls let me know.

NJBlackBerry 05-17-2012 01:47 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
There is no Skype for the 9900.

bimmerdriver 05-17-2012 05:28 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1777915)
There is no Skype for the 9900.

I seriously doubt there ever will be skype for BlackBerry, except for BB 10.

NJBlackBerry 05-17-2012 06:28 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Why do you expect it to be in BB 10?

Skype exists now for Verizon in the US and 3 in the UK.

bimmerdriver 05-17-2012 10:43 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1777933)
Why do you expect it to be in BB 10?

Skype exists now for Verizon in the US and 3 in the UK.

I didn't say I expected it. I just don't expect it for current blackberry oses. Developers are leaving blackberry in droves, IFF BB 10 gets accepted, maybe they will come back.

Dubdub 05-17-2012 10:45 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
And now that Microsoft owns SKYPE, you expect things to change for the better for RIM?

bimmerdriver 05-18-2012 01:07 AM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1777947)
And now that Microsoft owns SKYPE, you expect things to change for the better for RIM?

Again, I never said that. Developers target platforms that are doing well. Obviously the current RIM platform is not doing well so developers are leaving. Maybe, if BB 10 gets accepted by the market, developers will start coming back. RIM will probably offer inducements for them to return, but they sure won't do that for the existing platform.

NJBlackBerry 05-18-2012 06:15 AM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Quote:

I seriously doubt there ever will be skype for BlackBerry, except for BB 10.
Re-read your quote and you will understand why it is being questioned.

"Except for BB 10". Not "If BB 10 is accepted".

And (again) Skype is owned by Microsoft.

bimmerdriver 05-18-2012 11:47 AM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1777958)
Re-read your quote and you will understand why it is being questioned.

"Except for BB 10". Not "If BB 10 is accepted".

And (again) Skype is owned by Microsoft.

My quote says I seriously doubt it will be available for the current platform and that I don't seriously doubt it for BB 10. Just because I don't "seriously doubt" it for BB 10, does not imply I'm claiming it's likely, only less unlikely. There is a big difference. If you want to discuss this further, have your lawyer call my lawyer.

NJBlackBerry 05-18-2012 11:50 AM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Believe me, I really don't care. BB10 is meaningless until (and maybe after) it comes out.

And Skype isn't available for it anyway..

Motorcycle Mama 05-18-2012 12:34 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
And of course, the statement is wrong to begin with because Skype is ALREADY available for current OS devices on Verizon in the US, 3 in the UK and Telkomesel in Indonesia.

bimmerdriver 05-18-2012 01:44 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama (Post 1777997)
And of course, the statement is wrong to begin with because Skype is ALREADY available for current OS devices on Verizon in the US, 3 in the UK and Telkomesel in Indonesia.

Sure, it is or was available for some specific blackberry phones from some carriers, but blackberry is not "supported" by skype.

Go to the skype website and try downloading it for your BB. You'll find it's not there. Skype is offered for apple, nokia, sony-ericsson and android phones, not blackberry, and it's probably safe to say that the nokia and sony-ericsson implementations are on life-support.

I went to the verizon website and looked for it there. Maybe they used to offer skype for blackberry, but there are no blackberry phones on the list of supported phones.

NJBlackBerry 05-18-2012 05:55 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Nokia is on life support? Now that they are subsidized by Microsoft? You are truly a fool. Then again, I guess you think BB 10 is going to be a "game changer".

Verizon does offer Skype for their BlackBerrys. Because you don't know about that doesn't change it one iota.

bimmerdriver 05-18-2012 06:23 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1778024)
Nokia is on life support? Now that they are subsidized by Microsoft? You are truly a fool. Then again, I guess you think BB 10 is going to be a "game changer".

Verizon does offer Skype for their BlackBerrys. Because you don't know about that doesn't change it one iota.

Every single one of the Nokia and Sony-Ericsson phones on the skype website are symbian. Symbian is DEAD!

If Skype "supported" blackberry, it would be be available on app world and on the skype website.

If verizon supports skype on blackberry, why is there no link to download it? Maybe they released it on some specific phones or specific os versions, but it's not available on os 7. Obviously their support is past, not future.

Where did I say BB 10 would be a game changer?

NJBlackBerry 05-18-2012 06:30 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Stunning. I have a brand new Nokia Lumia 710, and it has Skype on it. Therefore, your statement is incorrect.

Ever heard of Windows Phone 7? Just asking...

bimmerdriver 05-18-2012 06:41 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1778030)
Stunning. I have a brand new Nokia Lumia 710, and it has Skype on it. Therefore, your statement is incorrect.

Ever heard of Windows Phone 7? Just asking...

What's stunning is that for all of your bluster, you haven't countered a single point that I've made. Obviously skype is on windows phone because microsoft owns skype. For something you claim to not care about, you seem to enjoy arguing about it.

NJBlackBerry 05-18-2012 07:20 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
So you don't understand (or accept) that Verizon supports Skype on the BlackBerry. That's been established. It runs on the 9930, which (last time I checked) has OS 7.x. You may want to double check that. You seem very confused. Using "Google" (available in Canada) I found this thread in 30 seconds:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Other-...ss/td-p/598269

You stated that
Quote:

Skype is offered for apple, nokia, sony-ericsson and android phones, not blackberry, and it's probably safe to say that the nokia and sony-ericsson implementations are on life-support
and then contradict yourself by saying
Quote:

Obviously skype is on windows phone because microsoft owns skype.
Quite while you're behind. Skype is available today from a few carriers (Verizon and 3) on a few BlackBerrys.

Quote:

I seriously doubt there ever will be skype for BlackBerry, except for BB 10.
I fail to see where you dug out of this hole.

Motorcycle Mama 05-18-2012 09:19 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver (Post 1778004)
Sure, it is or was available for some specific blackberry phones from some carriers, but blackberry is not "supported" by skype.

Your statement was "I seriously doubt there ever will be skype for BlackBerry, except for BB 10. "

You didn't state anything about blackberry [sic] being "supported" by skype [sic].

Quote:

Go to the skype website and try downloading it for your BB. You'll find it's not there. Skype is offered for apple, nokia, sony-ericsson and android phones, not blackberry, and it's probably safe to say that the nokia and sony-ericsson implementations are on life-support.
Perhaps my Google search works differently that yours, but this is what I found on the first result when I Google searched for "skype blackberry app".

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-...le/blackberry/



Quote:

I went to the verizon website and looked for it there. Maybe they used to offer skype for blackberry, but there are no blackberry phones on the list of supported phones.
Again, it comes from Skype.

stevew 05-18-2012 11:01 PM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Haters! LOL

bimmerdriver 05-19-2012 01:30 AM

Re: Skype for BB Bold9900
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1778039)
So you don't understand (or accept) that Verizon supports Skype on the BlackBerry. That's been established. It runs on the 9930, which (last time I checked) has OS 7.x. You may want to double check that. You seem very confused. Using "Google" (available in Canada) I found this thread in 30 seconds:

Skype Download for BlackBerry (Bold 9930) on Veriz... - Skype Support Network

You stated that and then contradict yourself by saying

Quite while you're behind. Skype is available today from a few carriers (Verizon and 3) on a few BlackBerrys.

I fail to see where you dug out of this hole.

Here's what the skype website shows when I click on the link of compatible phones:


and another

It's easy to see that Skype is obviously very proud to support the blackberry platform. Not.

Wait, there's an announcement on the skype website that Telus is supporting skype. Let's take a look.


Hmm... I wonder why Telus doesn't offer skype on blackberry when they have it on iphone and android.

I will grant you that Verizon has skype, but if you call support on verizon "support", then I guess we have a different understanding of what that is. It kind of looks like skype developed an app for blackberry but they really don't want anyone to use it. Maybe Verizon and a couple of other carriers paid them to provide it.

When any blackberry user can go on the skype website or blackberry app world and download it, then you can reasonably claim that it's supported. I doubt that's going to happen. If skype appears on BB 10, it will probably be because RIM paid them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.