Well, first time here. No, not just dropping by to say hi
I seem to get messages stuck in my exchange queue if my smarthost is enabled in exchange 2003.
blackberry desktop redirector was stuck at verifying forwarding address until I ran across some obscure reference to smarthosts. I disabled the smarthost, and boom, mail started to flow to the 8100.
I've ordered BES express so I can get my two BB users running correctly, but this still seems to be an odd issue.
I'm under time constraints as well, as both of these users bought the devices to accomodate email for a trip beginning this sunday. (yep, 1 day to figure this out)
I am stuck with an ISP that for some reason seems unable to handle DNS, and really need that smarthost.