BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default new BB user having general questions

Please Login to Remove!

i recently bought an AT&T BB Curve and i have 10 questions:

1. is there a way to add dashes or parenthesis when displaying the number of an incoming call? one clumped number is hard to read!

2. is there a way to display what type of number a contact is calling me with? for example if Tim calls me with his mobile, it would say "Tim" and "Mobile" instead of just "Tim."

3. is there a way to bring up a traditional phone number pad (i would find this useful if i need to know which letters go with which numbers on a number pad)?

4. is there a way to setup my email to come in a different "icon" than the same one as my SMS messages, and for my phone not to notify if i get a new email, but to notify me if i get a new SMS message?

5. is there a way to have two different "lock" icons on the desktop; one for locking the keypad and one for locking the keypad with a password? this would be very convenient since i switch between the two often.

6. how do i turn off all keypad sounds, even if my ringer is set to loud?

7. is there a way to quickly clear all my recent calls (made, received, and missed)?

8. is there a way to create more than one alarm clock?

9. is there a "tip" calculator

10. is there any other apps people would suggest as a "must-have" besides Opera Mini, Google Maps, and Facebook?

i know these are a lot of questions, but i really appriciate everyone's help!

thanks!
Offline  
Old 10-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
i recently bought an AT&T BB Curve and i have 10 questions:

1. is there a way to add dashes or parenthesis when displaying the number of an incoming call? one clumped number is hard to read!
If the number is stored that way in your address book (with dashes, etc), that's how it will display to you. If not in your address book, then it's all smashed together

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
2. is there a way to display what type of number a contact is calling me with? for example if Tim calls me with his mobile, it would say "Tim" and "Mobile" instead of just "Tim."
If you have Tim's mobile number stored in the mobile field, it should show that...at least it will in the call log. Can't remember off hand if it shows that WHEN they are calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
3. is there a way to bring up a traditional phone number pad (i would find this useful if i need to know which letters go with which numbers on a number pad)?
Don't need it. Hold down the ALT key and just press the letters you need. The device will translate to the appropriate numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
4. is there a way to setup my email to come in a different "icon" than the same one as my SMS messages, and for my phone not to notify if i get a new email, but to notify me if i get a new SMS message?
Yes, go into Messages, then Options, then General Options and set the SMS and Email Inboxes to 'Separate'.

Oh, and this will help with other notifications: How do I edit my notification tones (profiles)? - BlackBerryFAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
5. is there a way to have two different "lock" icons on the desktop; one for locking the keypad and one for locking the keypad with a password? this would be very convenient since i switch between the two often.
Uh....no. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
6. how do i turn off all keypad sounds, even if my ringer is set to loud?
Switch to the OFF profile. Or, if that's not what you're looking for, click on the Options icon, then Screen/Keyboard, and set the Key Tone to off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
7. is there a way to quickly clear all my recent calls (made, received, and missed)?
Yes. Go into Messages and press ALT-P. This will show only the phone call records. Press T to go to the top, click the menu key, and then press Delete Prior. This will delete everything prior to the current date (that is at the top of the list).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
8. is there a way to create more than one alarm clock?
Might need a 3rd party app for this. Check the Aftermarket forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
9. is there a "tip" calculator
Yes, check the Aftermarket forum. I know there is one somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
10. is there any other apps people would suggest as a "must-have" besides Opera Mini, Google Maps, and Facebook?
Check here...there are a lot: http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...n-tracker.html

I also like BBWeather, Beyond411, and Windows Live Search (all free).
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!

Last edited by juwaack68 : 10-29-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Offline  
Old 10-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
EPIC MOD
 
ezrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Model: ZED10
OS: DOS 3.1
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 12,214
Post Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Beyond411 is a must!

Infospace isn't bad either

Jivetalk if you IM much

Google maps
__________________
ZED 10
Offline  
Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
If the number is stored that way in your address book (with dashes, etc), that's how it will display to you. If not in your address book, then it's all smashed together
so...there is no way to change that? that seems like poor programing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
If you have Tim's mobile number stored in the mobile field, it should show that...at least it will in the call log. Can't remember off hand if it shows that WHEN they are calling.
i can't figure out how to make it show WHILE the are calling, any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Don't need it. Hold down the ALT key and just press the letters you need. The device will translate to the appropriate numbers.
i am aware that it can "translate," but there are time i would still like to see a number pad. is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Yes, go into Messages, then Options, then General Options and set the SMS and Email Inboxes to 'Separate'.

Oh, and this will help with other notifications: How do I edit my notification tones (profiles)? - BlackBerryFAQ



Uh....no. Sorry.



Switch to the OFF profile.
i want my ringtones to be loud, but the sounds on the number pad to be silent when i press them. possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Yes. Go into Messages and press ALT-P. This will show only the phone call records. Press T to go to the top, click the menu key, and then press Delete Prior. This will delete everything prior to the current date (that is at the top of the list).
thnaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Might need a 3rd party app for this. Check the Aftermarket forum.
OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Yes, check the Aftermarket forum. I know there is one somewhere.
OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Check here...there are a lot. I also like BBWeather, Beyond411, and Windows Live Search (all free).
thanks.

Last edited by JustinBrown : 10-29-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Offline  
Old 10-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
so...there is no way to change that? that seems like poor programing to me.
Sorry, I don't make 'em, I just use 'em. No, no way to change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
i can't figure out how to make it show WHILE the are calling, any suggestions?
Sorry, no, I guess I just put up with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
i am aware that it can "translate," but there are time i would still like to see a number pad. is it possible?
How was I know to know you already knew I am not aware of a way to see a number pad, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrown View Post
i want my ringtones to be loud, but the sounds on the number pad to be silent when i press them. possible?
Screen/Keyboard - Key Tone = Off
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 10-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

sorry...didn't mean to come across rude. i think i should use those smilies more

thanks for your help!

Last edited by JustinBrown : 10-29-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Offline  
Old 10-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

No problem - that's way I used the smiley. The written word can be interpreted so many ways the smiley's come in handy
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.