BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Unlocked
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Default caller ID when there are duplicate contact entries

Please Login to Remove!

It's difficult to summarize my problem in one liner - thus a the thread title may confuse some people.

Basically, I wanted to create a contact entry called "In case of Emergency" so that (knock on wood) something happens to me, people know who to call from my BB address book. However after I created such entry, whenever my wife calls (I put her number for the In Case of Emergency contact but I also have her name in the address book) her caller ID shows as "In Case of Emergency" instead of her name.

The question is if it's possible to make her name as the default caller ID so when she calls, it'll show her name?

Many thanks!
Offline  
Old 11-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

I don't know the answer to your question about the default caller ID name showing, but you may want to put the ICE entry in the Owner screen instead.

This way if the keyboard is locked on your device, and someone doesn't know how to unlock it or doesn't know the password they will see the ICE information on the locked screen.
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I wonder if the BlackBerry sorts alphabetically if it sees contacts with the same phone number. I haven't tested though.
Offline  
Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
cameron.personal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.3049
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 170
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Wirelessly posted (7100t on T-Mo: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have always thought the ICE idea was crazy, I would like to have an entry for ICE that says, "Stop playing with my BlackBerry and GET ME TO A HOSPITAL NOW!
__________________
2 9650s on T-Mo 6.0.0.3049 BIS
Offline  
Old 11-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 139
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I enter my ICE contacts in the note section of a contact named both "!! In Case of Emergency !!" (sort to top) and "In Case of Emergency" (alpha sort). By entering the data as a note it won't wreck havoc with caller id and there are names to go with the number when someone clicks on the contact.
Offline  
Old 11-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T Mobile
Posts: 114
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoggLBC View Post
I enter my ICE contacts in the note section of a contact named both "!! In Case of Emergency !!" (sort to top) and "In Case of Emergency" (alpha sort). By entering the data as a note it won't wreck havoc with caller id and there are names to go with the number when someone clicks on the contact.
So you're assuming that if someone finds your blackberry, and they happen to find it and play around with it before it locks, they'll click on all 100, 200, 300 contacts in your Contact database, and happen to see your note???

Simply enter your phone number on the owner screen, so that it displays when your device is locked. If an honest person finds it, they have a way to return it.

Hoping that, if there's an emergency, and you're lying on the ground unconscious, someone will take your phone of your body, and begin playing around with it searching for an emergency contact, seems highly unlikely!

Perhaps I'm missing something? (Wouldn't be the first time)
__________________
I can resist anything but temptation.
Offline  
Old 11-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CanuckBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YYZ
Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,183
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelW View Post
So you're assuming that if someone finds your blackberry, and they happen to find it and play around with it before it locks, they'll click on all 100, 200, 300 contacts in your Contact database, and happen to see your note???

Simply enter your phone number on the owner screen, so that it displays when your device is locked. If an honest person finds it, they have a way to return it.

Hoping that, if there's an emergency, and you're lying on the ground unconscious, someone will take your phone of your body, and begin playing around with it searching for an emergency contact, seems highly unlikely!

Perhaps I'm missing something? (Wouldn't be the first time)
You're not missing anything. The ICE thing is not really workable. It assumes that either EMS or hospital staff are familiar enough with all the cell phones to navigate to the address book and find the right entry.

It also assume that the cell phone is a) on you and b) intact.
Offline  
Old 11-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
sc93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dickinson, TX
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 175
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What I did was:

1-Make an In Case of Emergency memo in Memo Pad
2-Make a New Folder on the main screen: a-title it "In Case of Emergency Call" and b-have it the color red
3-I took and moved Memo Pad into that new folder
4-Made sure the red folder "In Case of Emergency Call" is one of the visible icons on my Zen theme

I dont use Memo Pad often so I dont mind putting it into a folder where I may have to click twice to find it.

I can only hope that if someone has a brain they would look into the memo pad icon, lol, and see the ICE
Offline  
Old 11-12-2007, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.546
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,344
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin1 View Post
The question is if it's possible to make her name as the default caller ID so when she calls, it'll show her name?
You can create the "In case of Emergency" entry in the address book and leave out the phone number. In the notes field say contact Mrs. Dolphin1 at....

Of course if you have a password on your BlackBerry no one is going to find this entry.
__________________
Exchange 2007/BES 5.0.2 MR2
Offline  
Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Fireproof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Frisco, TX
Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 771
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Back to the Original Post - I have the same issue.

I have my home phone number listed in my contact info as well as my wife's contact info. Whenever she calls me from home, it says that I'm calling myself. I hate that.

Is there any solution?

In my case, my name does come before hers alphabetically...
__________________
Current Blackberry: TMO 8800
Previous BBs: 8700g, 7100t, 7520, 7230
Clutch Fitness Forum - Powerbuilding, Bodybuilding, and Nutrition
Offline  
Old 11-12-2007, 11:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.546
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,344
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof View Post
Back to the Original Post - I have the same issue.

I have my home phone number listed in my contact info as well as my wife's contact info. Whenever she calls me from home, it says that I'm calling myself. I hate that.

Is there any solution?

In my case, my name does come before hers alphabetically...
Create an entry called Home and let that be the only entry with your home number.
__________________
Exchange 2007/BES 5.0.2 MR2
Offline  
Old 11-12-2007, 11:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Fireproof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Frisco, TX
Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 771
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well, I thought about removing the number from my contact. But I sometimes send people my .vcf address card from Outlook. Would like to have it in both places and specify a default for caller ID, but I don't think it's possible. Will probably just have to pick a single place for it.
__________________
Current Blackberry: TMO 8800
Previous BBs: 8700g, 7100t, 7520, 7230
Clutch Fitness Forum - Powerbuilding, Bodybuilding, and Nutrition
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.