Thanks for the help.
I actually just got it working...maybe this should be added to the FAQ.
1. Logged into BIS and deleted all my email accounts
2. Opened Options>Service Books on my Pearl and found that service books for two of my email accounts were still there, so I deleted them
3. Reset the Pearl (battery pull)
4. Logged into BIS and setup all my email accounts again
5. Reset the Pearl again (just for good measure, doubt it did anything).
After my Pearl booted up, emails started pouring in.
But...still had one weird problem...I was getting email from all four accounts, but didn't have an email folder for one of them on the main screen. I checked in Options>Service Books, and found I had the service books for all four accounts, except the CMIME book was missing from that email account (I did have the CICAL for it). I resent service books and all seems to be well (for now).
So a lower case "woo-hoo"...what a PITA having to go through all this! Wish I knew how things got so messed up!