BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT & T
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile 8820 changes Input Language Automatically

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,
I'm new to this site so I hope you don't mind a question. My 8820 seems to want to change the input language automatically every once in awhile when I put it into the holster. My holster is the one that came with it with the magnetic foldover latch. It changes from English (United States) to the first language on the list which I can't even read. I go into Blackberry setup and change it back. Has anyone else ever had this problem, and more importantly, how do you fix it...permanently?
Thanks,
TP
Offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: us
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Input Language

I have exactly the same problem with my 8820. I would very much like to find a way of fixing the input language permanently.
Offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
ltj13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Model: 9700
OS: 6.0.0.424
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 300
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I dont know why it would be changing by itself.. ALT + Enter will change the input language... Why not just remove the extra language support??.. Thats what i do... You wont have to worry about switching to a language that you dont know and it also frees up some memory on the device.
Offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: us
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltj13 View Post
I dont know why it would be changing by itself.. ALT + Enter will change the input language... Why not just remove the extra language support??.. Thats what i do... You wont have to worry about switching to a language that you dont know and it also frees up some memory on the device.
Can you advise how you removed the extra language support?
Offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
ltj13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Model: 9700
OS: 6.0.0.424
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 300
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

You can use Application Loader to remove them or follow the first step here: How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ.com
Offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: us
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltj13 View Post
You can use Application Loader to remove them or follow the first step here: How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ.com
I am afraid that the method described does not work on the 8820. The language options are not listed in the applications. I also could not see I would do this using the Application Loader. Any further help would be appreciated.
Offline  
Old 01-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT & T
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Removing extra languages from an 8820 HELP

Ralph is correct that suggestion does not work on the 8820. I think the basic idea is good but can someone please help us discover how to remove extra languages from the 8820? THANKS
Offline  
Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
ltj13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Model: 9700
OS: 6.0.0.424
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 300
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Wirelessly posted (8320: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Sorry. I've never used the 8800 series. I assumed it was the same as the rest.
Offline  
Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot
Posts: 1,009
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Run Setup Wizard which is an icon on main screen. On the second page it will ask you what languages you wish to keep.

Setup Wizard icon may be hidden- just use Show All to unhide it.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: us
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
Run Setup Wizard which is an icon on main screen. On the second page it will ask you what languages you wish to keep.

Setup Wizard icon may be hidden- just use Show All to unhide it.
Thanks for your comment but on my Blackberry 8820 I can run set up wizard. However, when I get to the second page I can only selct the language for screen and menu and the next choice is input language. There is not opportunity to delete the other languages.

Still looking for help.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 46
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

1. Hit Alt + Enter

2. Select "Don't Allow this Shortcut again." By doing this, you've changed the language.

3. Head into Option----> Language and select the language you want to use.


This is a workaround until you permanently uninstall the languages through your desktop manager.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot
Posts: 1,009
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphO View Post
Thanks for your comment but on my Blackberry 8820 I can run set up wizard. However, when I get to the second page I can only selct the language for screen and menu and the next choice is input language. There is not opportunity to delete the other languages.

Still looking for help.
Check if you can upgrade OS on your BlackBerry because on mine it is like this:

Open Setup Wizard

Select Language

Page 1 of 11. Language: 'Select a display language for screens and menu items'

Page 2 of 11. Language Removal: 'Click the check box beside the display languages that you want to keep on your device. Click Next. Your device deletes languages that you do not select.'


If you don't see that text on top of page 2 I could only expain it by older vesion of OS you have on your 8820.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: All
Carrier: Plead the fifth.
Posts: 63
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would think this will be down to the networks installer package. I'd possibly see if there is a different version on BlackBerry's download site for your operator.

cheers

Worm
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: us
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 8820 changes input language

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
Check if you can upgrade OS on your BlackBerry because on mine it is like this:

Open Setup Wizard

Select Language

Page 1 of 11. Language: 'Select a display language for screens and menu items'

Page 2 of 11. Language Removal: 'Click the check box beside the display languages that you want to keep on your device. Click Next. Your device deletes languages that you do not select.'


If you don't see that text on top of page 2 I could only expain it by older vesion of OS you have on your 8820.
I do not get any opportunity to remove languages on Page 2 of 11. Just the input screen. I have V4.2.2.169 on the BB and I have also recently upate the desktop software to V4.3. If you believe that I need to update the OS on the device please advise how to do so.

However, I have cured my problem. I went to
-options
-Language
and turned off the inpout language shortcut.

Since doing that it seems to work fine.

Thanks for all who tried to help.
Offline  
Old 05-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default me too

That is happening to me as well, anyone, please help....
Offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphO View Post
I am afraid that the method described does not work on the 8820. The language options are not listed in the applications. I also could not see I would do this using the Application Loader. Any further help would be appreciated.
Hmm, you'll need to use the App Loader then. However, before you can do anything with App Loader you need to download and install (to your PC) the OS for your 8820 from your carrier. App Loader is pretty useless unless it has the files for your device.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.