BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 39
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default saving battery

Please Login to Remove!

Hi! I am sure it has been discussed, but - coulndt find any answer ver specific to my question: sorry I am very new on this bb world - does the holster 'help' to save battery??? Is stand by the best to way to save? And, why when I put on stand by and then in the holster it always comes out of stand by??
Thank you in advance!!!!
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

oh you are soooooo lucky you asked that question.
This written a year ago just in case someone came along and asked:
Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ.com
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 39
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
oh you are soooooo lucky you asked that question.
This written a year ago just in case someone came along and asked:
Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ.com
Thanls. That helped a bit. Now, about the whole stand by thing and getting out of stand by when I put on holster, any idea on that? Thanks
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braziliangirl View Post
Thanls. That helped a bit. Now, about the whole stand by thing and getting out of stand by when I put on holster, any idea on that? Thanks
This is normal behavior. Whenever you take it out of a holster (that has a magnet to put the device in standby) it will come out of standby mode.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 39
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
This is normal behavior. Whenever you take it out of a holster (that has a magnet to put the device in standby) it will come out of standby mode.

Oh, ok. So, it means that it is on Stand by while in the holster...even though gets out of it once out!?
Also, is it better to leave on stand by? ANd how about the Auto Off for night time..?
Thanks a lot!
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes, you are correct. When you put it in the holster it will go in to Standby automatically, so you don't have to do it before hand.

I do believe it is better to leave it in standby if not using it. You can still receive notifications and everything, and it will better conserve your battery.

I don't actually use the Auto On/Off feature. I really leave the BlackBerry on all the time.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 39
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Yes, you are correct. When you put it in the holster it will go in to Standby automatically, so you don't have to do it before hand.

I do believe it is better to leave it in standby if not using it. You can still receive notifications and everything, and it will better conserve your battery.

I don't actually use the Auto On/Off feature. I really leave the BlackBerry on all the time.
Thank you very much
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.77
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 39
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Newbie here. I'd read the FAQ when I first got my bb, but it's certainly a good thing to review. One thing I didn't see: If you're done using the browser and back out of it, it keeps running in background and will suck the battery down pretty quickly. I've made the habit of using the menu key and selecting Close to exit apps instead of the backspce key.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 39
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWeb View Post
Newbie here. I'd read the FAQ when I first got my bb, but it's certainly a good thing to review. One thing I didn't see: If you're done using the browser and back out of it, it keeps running in background and will suck the battery down pretty quickly. I've made the habit of using the menu key and selecting Close to exit apps instead of the backspce key.
It makes a lot of sense and I have to say I also got used to close the whole thing..better safe....right?
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Good point Willie... an 'active' browser page is a battery killer too. Like I use mine to check radar often, and on an animated radar site, updating every 5 minutes, the battery sucks down.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Model: 9000
Carrier: T Mobile
Posts: 142
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I know this isnt a way to conserve battery, but if you have the money or this isnt your first blackberry, use other batteries. Ive had a 7105 and 8700 before my 8310 and so I put the batteries in each of the original phones and since I have about 4 wallchargers, I charge the batteries up and then take them out and take them with me throughout my day.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.