BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Posts: 35
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Keep Getting "Call Failed"

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I am new to the forums, so Hello to you all

I got a Blackberry 8120 today, I put my o2 sim card in and it finds the network okay and all is fine... until I try and make a call, or someone tries to call me. It says "Call failed" or if someone is phoning me it will go straight into voicemail.

The phone recognises o2 and I am on around -72dbm - but I can't make calls (or send/receive texts).

Any ideas?

Thanks all,
Amnesia
Offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia180 View Post
Hi All,

I am new to the forums, so Hello to you all

I got a Blackberry 8120 today, I put my o2 sim card in and it finds the network okay and all is fine... until I try and make a call, or someone tries to call me. It says "Call failed" or if someone is phoning me it will go straight into voicemail.

The phone recognises o2 and I am on around -72dbm - but I can't make calls (or send/receive texts).

Any ideas?

Thanks all,
Amnesia
its sounds like your device hasnt been activated yet by O2. you should give them a call and make sure your device has been enabled for wireless services.
Offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Posts: 35
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been in touch with them and they are issuing a new SIM card.

Can I confirm that the phone hasn't been stolen and that this is a common issue that happens with them?

I bought the Blackberry 2nd hand from an electronics store. It comes with a 12 month warranty, but only 2 days to return it with no hassles (they do not have another blackberry I could exchange it for).

When I phoned O2 they said I could try wiping my SIM card but they will also send me a new one.

I will try calling again and ask for them to enable wireless services.

The SIM card itself is about 18 months old, and has been used in another phone.

Thanks
Offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia180 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been in touch with them and they are issuing a new SIM card.

Can I confirm that the phone hasn't been stolen and that this is a common issue that happens with them?

I bought the Blackberry 2nd hand from an electronics store. It comes with a 12 month warranty, but only 2 days to return it with no hassles (they do not have another blackberry I could exchange it for).

When I phoned O2 they said I could try wiping my SIM card but they will also send me a new one.

I will try calling again and ask for them to enable wireless services.

The SIM card itself is about 18 months old, and has been used in another phone.

Thanks
yea there is a good chance your SIM needs to be replaced. its a good place to start. when you get the new one, give an update if it works.
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Posts: 35
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi All,

After more talks with O2 they say the IMEI has been barred. Which is why I can't make outgoing calls.

They will not unbarr it for me unless the original owner calls up (how am I supposed to find the original owner when I bought it second hand from an electronic store?)

Anyway, they said there is nothing they can do.

When I took it into a shop to get unlocked, they said they can't unlock an IMEI.

Surely if the phone is blacklisted it wouldn't receive a signal, and it also wouldn't register as O2 and receive my blackberry registration settings?
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Posts: 35
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

*Update* - After the 5 or 6th call to O2. They have confirmed the Phone was listed as Stolen several days ago.

I will be getting myself a refund and seeing if O2 can offer me one as a free upgrade!
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia180 View Post
*Update* - After the 5 or 6th call to O2. They have confirmed the Phone was listed as Stolen several days ago.

I will be getting myself a refund and seeing if O2 can offer me one as a free upgrade!
ha i was just gonna say! thats some shady sh$t. you went and bought a phone from a store and it wound up being stolen! wow. lesson learned. stick the official wireless stores
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: Cheerios
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 9,835
Post Thanks: 103
Thanked 844 Times in 813 Posts
Default

my next call would be to the local police to tell them of the issue. Was this a Pawn shop?
If so , never buy a cell from them.
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button


Z10 on BES
Z10 on BIS
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Posts: 35
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

No, it was an O2 shop. And they have PAYG phones. Which I bought! Crazy stuff hey!
Offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 12:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia180 View Post
No, it was an O2 shop. And they have PAYG phones. Which I bought! Crazy stuff hey!
yea man no offense but it sounds like some shady business you got taken for a ride. the local police would be a good call. or the better business bureau.
Offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Posts: 35
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Its all sorted, they are replacing the phone for me and have reported customer details to the police
Offline  
Old 03-29-2008, 05:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia180 View Post
Its all sorted, they are replacing the phone for me and have reported customer details to the police
lesson learned
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Msa Altair 4x Gas Detector
$50.0
Msa Altair 4x Gas Detector  pictureMSA ALTAIR & BW Gas Alert Clip 2 Extreme H2S Gas Monitors AS-IS FOR PARTS REPAIR
$9.99
MSA ALTAIR & BW Gas Alert Clip 2 Extreme H2S Gas Monitors AS-IS FOR PARTS REPAIR pictureMSA Altair 5x Multigas Detector Bluetooth LEL CO H2S O2
$395.0
MSA Altair 5x Multigas Detector Bluetooth LEL CO H2S O2 pictureMSA Altair Gas Detector In Original Box c-z
$99.99
MSA Altair Gas Detector In Original Box c-z pictureMSA 10114949 GAS DETECTION MAINTENANCE KIT FOR ALTAIR 5X
$27.99
MSA 10114949 GAS DETECTION MAINTENANCE KIT FOR ALTAIR 5X picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.