After reinstalling several times I checked my calendar and found calendar items with attachements. I deleted them and it fixed the problem - I was able to sync too.
For those unsavy with outlook (it took me a minute to find it).
- open your calenar
- in the upper right corner, click on options
- then advanced find
- select the "more choices" tab
- click on the second check box "only items with", and "one or more attachemetns" from that dropdown
- then click the find now button
- Delete the entries with attachments (or go to them one by one and delete the attachment)
- These are instructions for Outlook 2003
This worked and is much faster than goofing around trying to find other fixes.