BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 06:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Model: none
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Used Blackberry, re-provisioning, Australia

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I thought I'd share my experiences of getting a used berry, and getting it setup. When I searched these archives I couldn't find anything much on this so perhaps this will help someone.

I bought a 7290 on ebay from the UK at a very good price, relative to what is available in Australia. It was said to be unlocked. It arrived very rapidly with no customs issues. On arrival it fired up fine, working as a phone without problems, indicating that it was unlocked, as advertised. However, there was no browser present, and no email config utility. A trawl in the archives revealed the 'alt tab' (half moon key and escape) function, and when I did this I could see the browser app in the background. When I selected it, I got a message informing me that I had no service book. However, this was good as I was close to upgrading to OS4.x, thinking that my OS didn't have a browser.

I previously had a red sim with Vodaphone Australia, and went to one of their stores and signed up for their mobile email plan, being very clear to specify that it was for blackberry. Vodaphone were having problems and it took about a week for the new sim card to get activated.

During that time I tried to setup the BB account via the vodaphone australia site, but when I entered the PIN and IMEI, it told me the BB was assigned to someone else. A quick email to the ebay seller fixed that.

Eventually the new sim started working and 30 minutes later the GPRS came up also. At that time the BB did a frenzied send/receive and lo and behold the web browser and email config app came up. I used the email app to create my BB account via vodaphone. As soon as it was confirmed, I went online on my pc and added the email accounts I wanted to re-direct. I did it this way as it was quicker than waiting for GPRS connection!

All that done, everything was working and I can surf the web and get mail. I've been able to send myself some pictures as attachments, which I'm really pleased about.

I also modified my profile in the Vodaphone BB pages so it doesn't append 'sent from my Vodaphone BB' on each message.

So, in summary:
1. Used BB needed not to be SIM locked
2. Previous owner needed to relinquish BB account
3. Had to transfer to new Vodaphone SIM.

Good thing: as soon a the sim cam active, the BB handled the rest of the setup easily

Bad thing: waiting a week for Vodaphone to activate the new sim. I'm assured this isn't normal.

Hope this helps. Any questions, PIN me or post here.

Cheers,

Mark
20282E19
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.