BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: alltel
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default garmin gps or telenav

Please Login to Remove!

which is better garmin on the berry 8300 or telenav i can get the garmin through Alltel for 25% off or $75 for a year or telenav for $99.

or should I buy a gps and pay for it once?

but which service is better. any input would be appreciated.
Offline  
Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,679
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 96 Times in 71 Posts
Default

I've not used the Garmin but I use TeleNav all the time and I like it even better than my nav system in my new 08 Odyssey.
Offline  
Old 06-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
dualsub2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kentucky
Model: Droid
OS: Android 2
PIN: Head
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 272
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandnfestus View Post
which is better garmin on the berry 8300 or telenav i can get the garmin through Alltel for 25% off or $75 for a year or telenav for $99.

or should I buy a gps and pay for it once?

but which service is better. any input would be appreciated.
I like TomTom GPS devices. I don't think that GPS is something that should come with a monthly fee. Besides that, any standalone GPS will give you more features.
Offline  
Old 06-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
MBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 393
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am using both TeleNav 5.5 (aka AT&T Navigator) and the next generation (not yet released) of Garmin. Both are good, Garmin slightly simpler, TeleNav slightly more feature-packed. If your purchase includes an upgrade (I think TeleNav in the wild is at 5.1), I might go for TeleNav, though either is quite good. The new version of Garmin is a lot like Nuvi on a handset. And you might want to check into your total cost of operation - in 5 years, after chaging handsets twice, what will either one end up costing you?
__________________
/\/\\/\/
Offline  
Old 06-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBW View Post
I am using both TeleNav 5.5 (aka AT&T Navigator) and the next generation (not yet released) of Garmin. Both are good, Garmin slightly simpler, TeleNav slightly more feature-packed. If your purchase includes an upgrade (I think TeleNav in the wild is at 5.1), I might go for TeleNav, though either is quite good. The new version of Garmin is a lot like Nuvi on a handset. And you might want to check into your total cost of operation - in 5 years, after chaging handsets twice, what will either one end up costing you?
I have Verizon and their Nav is awful. I've gone to Blackberry.com for GPS recommendations although nothing because I'm a Verizon Customer. Guess I'll purchase a Garmin or Tom Tom from the store. Any ideas?
Offline  
Old 06-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CanuckBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YYZ
Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,183
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandnfestus View Post
which is better garmin on the berry 8300 or telenav i can get the garmin through Alltel for 25% off or $75 for a year or telenav for $99.

or should I buy a gps and pay for it once?

but which service is better. any input would be appreciated.
Quote:
I like TomTom GPS devices. I don't think that GPS is something that should come with a monthly fee. Besides that, any standalone GPS will give you more features.
With a stand alone GPS, you never 'pay for it once'. You need to purchase map updates from time to time. Usually at around $100.00 /year.

GPS does not come with a montlhy fee. The maps do. The biggest drawback of Telenav is the use of data. OTOH, up to date maps and traffic info is worth the fee.
Offline  
Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,020
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 778 Times in 740 Posts
Default

GPS is free. Paid for by US tax dollars.
__________________
-->>BB FAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter


If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Offline  
Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
dualsub2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kentucky
Model: Droid
OS: Android 2
PIN: Head
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 272
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
With a stand alone GPS, you never 'pay for it once'. You need to purchase map updates from time to time. Usually at around $100.00 /year.

GPS does not come with a montlhy fee. The maps do. The biggest drawback of Telenav is the use of data. OTOH, up to date maps and traffic info is worth the fee.
Not so my friend. I got one free map update for my TomTom when I bought it. They just released new maps in May and I got that update for free. I also get TomTom as well as user submitted map updates every time I connect to my computer. Aside from that, map updates or no, my TomTom has ALWAYS gotten me to where I am going. Never in the time that I have owned them and used them has a TomTom not gotten me there, or taken me on a drive about to get there. I am not saying that map updates aren't important, but I am willing to bet that if I passed on a map update odds are greatly in my favor that I would never know the difference.

I paid $139 for my TomTom device. TeleNav would be $99 for their little device to work with my phone. Given the features that my TomTom has that TeleNav doesn't I am much happier with my TomTom One.

My daughter had graduation parties to go to all weekend. Starting Friday night and running through last night she made 13 stops at many places that she was unfamiliar with. I set the route for her in my TomTom and away she went. It would have really sucked to be without my BB for 3 days.
Offline  
Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Aren't there trials for both apps? I'd say first hand experience is hard to beat. Personally, I preferred Telenav but that might have something to do with being more familiar with their app. It seemed less cumbersome, more responsive and it seemed easier to read the screen for info that I needed. YMMV.

As for the dedicated GPS device versus Telenav/Garmin -- there's no one-size-fits-all solution there either. Personally, I find dealing with yet another device to be more of a hassle than anything else. I am very happy with Telenav. Again, YMMV. I don't really have anyone that I feel I'd need to loan my GPS/8310 to... Factor your needs/wants into interpreting comments and recommendations that you read.

Last edited by takeshi : 06-02-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Offline  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What about CoPilot Live 7 or MapQuest Navigator

I don't mean to steal any subject matter, but noone has mentioned CoPilot Live 7 from Home: ALK Technologies or MapQuest Navigator.

I tried the Garmin version, but it only works if you have a Blackberry w/ built in GPS, or Garmin's bluetooth puck. Since I have the Freedom GPS Keychain 2000, I can't use Garmin.

I have tried Telenav, but I have some qualms with it. Organization of the program is great, but it always takes forever to update missed turns, or has problems connecting with the server. Also, the print is small on the screen and it doesn't tell you the next turn until you are almost to it - I prefer to know the next turn as soon as I make the previous turn. It also needs night mode.

MapQuest Navigator is my favorite so far because the text to speech voice is GREAT and everything is easy to see and read. Also, it downloads all maps along the corridor that you are in so if you miss a turn, it doesn't have to download more data to get you back on track. The only thing I have a problem with about MapQuest Navigator is the the "My Saved Places" list is hard to find things in because it is just a big and long list as you add places.

ALK's CoPilot Live 7 - which is free for 6 months for Blackberry, probably because it is kind of in Beta, is a nice idea, but it needs some work. It lacks 3d view, the voices speak too slow (also sometimes, they don't speak at all). It could really use text to speech - all it says is "take exit" or "turn right." Also, it could really use a POI system like Telenav or MapQuest Navigator have; I couldn't find hardly anything I was looking for. I couldn't figure out how to title my favorites either. There was other stuff too, but these would be the best places to start.

Overall, at this point, MapQuest Navigator is my preference.

However, I have used CoPilot in the past and, if they put in all the features in the Blackberry version that they had on the laptop or Windows Mobile versions, it will be a killer program. So far, they are the only ones who put in multi point routing. Now if only they could put the program on a sd card like on the windows mobile version, it would be that much better. A really nice thing would be that the program comes on a sd card (micro of course) and that it could just download new data from the server if it was available and overwrite the existing sd card data. That would make the program faster, and more reliable.

Last edited by kasl33 : 06-03-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Offline  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasl33 View Post
I have tried Telenav, but I have some qualms with it. Organization of the program is great, but it always takes forever to update missed turns, or has problems connecting with the server.
Interesting. My experiences were a bit different when I was comparing Telenav to Mapquest. On missed turns Mapquest would always uselessly suggest "Make a U-turn" (no need for a GPS to provide this stroke of genius) and would then take forever to re-route while Telenav was always very quick in rerouting for me. I guess YMMV. Again, give the trials a spin.
Offline  
Old 11-03-2008, 12:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: dont know
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hello

Newbie here


I have just purchaed the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 for my Blackberry Curve 8300 and need help getting it set up. I have paired the device with my BB but when I open Blackberry Maps all I get is a message saying aquiring satellites and nothing else of use. I heard the reviews for this product were good so I bought it and now need some advice on what software I should get and how you may have installed it and used it effectivley. I travel for work alot and wanted this to be a lightweight, compact solution for me. I would like to have a set up similar to Garmin or Tom Tom, both of which I have used before, but on my Blackberry. I live and work in Cairns Australia so need this to be region specific.



Any advice you can give would be a great help



Thank you very much

JH
Offline  
Old 11-03-2008, 01:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasyCasy View Post
I have Verizon and their Nav is awful. I've gone to Blackberry.com for GPS recommendations although nothing because I'm a Verizon Customer. Guess I'll purchase a Garmin or Tom Tom from the store. Any ideas?

you can still get the garmin mobile for BB. it comes with a bluetooth sirf receiver. it's worth it imo because well,,,garmin is garmin....and you'll be able to use google maps too.

Last edited by askmmk : 11-03-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Offline  
Old 11-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Moonshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Model: 8130
OS: 4.5.0.131
Carrier: TELUS
Posts: 885
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (8130)

I checked out the GarmIn site and there doesn't seem to be a trial version. Anybody know if there is one. Would like to try before I buy!
__________________
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again

Telus - 8130 - BES/BIS
Offline  
Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brampton Ontario
Model: Bold
OS: 4.6
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 127
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If you are looking for internal GPS software for your Berry, I have never had an issue with Garmin. If you think you may need a stand alone device go with a Tom Tom =)
Offline  
Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile
Offline  
Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2008
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 122
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasl33 View Post
I don't mean to steal any subject matter, but noone has mentioned CoPilot Live 7 from Home: ALK Technologies or MapQuest Navigator.

I tried the Garmin version, but it only works if you have a Blackberry w/ built in GPS, or Garmin's bluetooth puck. Since I have the Freedom GPS Keychain 2000, I can't use Garmin.

I have tried Telenav, but I have some qualms with it. Organization of the program is great, but it always takes forever to update missed turns, or has problems connecting with the server. Also, the print is small on the screen and it doesn't tell you the next turn until you are almost to it - I prefer to know the next turn as soon as I make the previous turn. It also needs night mode.

MapQuest Navigator is my favorite so far because the text to speech voice is GREAT and everything is easy to see and read. Also, it downloads all maps along the corridor that you are in so if you miss a turn, it doesn't have to download more data to get you back on track. The only thing I have a problem with about MapQuest Navigator is the the "My Saved Places" list is hard to find things in because it is just a big and long list as you add places.

ALK's CoPilot Live 7 - which is free for 6 months for Blackberry, probably because it is kind of in Beta, is a nice idea, but it needs some work. It lacks 3d view, the voices speak too slow (also sometimes, they don't speak at all). It could really use text to speech - all it says is "take exit" or "turn right." Also, it could really use a POI system like Telenav or MapQuest Navigator have; I couldn't find hardly anything I was looking for. I couldn't figure out how to title my favorites either. There was other stuff too, but these would be the best places to start.

Overall, at this point, MapQuest Navigator is my preference.

However, I have used CoPilot in the past and, if they put in all the features in the Blackberry version that they had on the laptop or Windows Mobile versions, it will be a killer program. So far, they are the only ones who put in multi point routing. Now if only they could put the program on a sd card like on the windows mobile version, it would be that much better. A really nice thing would be that the program comes on a sd card (micro of course) and that it could just download new data from the server if it was available and overwrite the existing sd card data. That would make the program faster, and more reliable.
I am using Garmin with a freedom keychain puck and haven't had any problems. I really like it.
__________________
Harry
Offline  
Old 11-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
powercx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fremont, CA
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.237
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 138
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Garmin has the $99 for the life of your device. Non-Transferable though. So if you sell your device, at least that next person will have GPS navigation.

I personally use Telenav, or rebranded to AT&T Navigator. I've been using it for 2 years now. Lovely since it comes with Traffic and Gas price locator. What I really like about Telenav vs real GPS Devices is that I can just do a search of a business name and it would find it 99.9% of the time. Whereas my Nuvi 680, it would not find the things that Telenav would find.

Inconvenient to have more than one device, why not have all in one device?

If you don't want to pay for a GPS Software on your Blackberry or traffic, check out Amaze from Mobile.Blackberry.com under Application and Mapping.

I have used Garmin and the maps was out dated in my area. The Interface is nice though, which is up to par with Telenav. Easy to use.

Then I use Mapquest Navigator back in the day when it was free and even tried after it got to a paid subscription and the interface was mediacore, not so easy to use, no traffic. But Mapquest re-routes faster than Telenav because it downloads the maps to your blackberry.

I used Amaze, and Nav4All, which is a free Voice Navigation software, but the Interface is so so, hard to use, lots of keys to press to navigate through area.

There are a lot out there that you can use and try, and I would suggest to try before you buy. With Garmin, be sure that you have the latest maps before you buy it. With Telenav, there is a 30 day trial, try with re-routing capabilities so you know how fast/slow it is. Depends on the device. Telenav was slower to re-route with my Curve, but with my Bold, it was as fast as my Nuvi 680, probably because of 3G. Anything with a program that you have to pay for, I would try it till the trial ends.

My Choices would:
1. Telenav
2. Garmin
3. Mapquest

While the Free one is buggy, it's still better to have something, than nothing.

If all fails, there's Google Maps version 2.3.2, and it is very very nice if nothing else works for you. Good luck in your choice.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.