BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Email/internet without BIS/BES

Please Login to Remove!

Blackberry 8310
T-Mobile UK PAYG Sim
Unlimited GPRS

Phone works
Text Works
MMS Works
Browser Works (Yet people keep saying you cant get internet)

What I have been unable to do so far is get any third party apps such as logic mail, tiggit mail, google maps or im+ to access the internet.

From what I have read this seems to be down to the APN setting although none of the settings I have tried so far have worked, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I realize I wont get push email but hopefully I can get one of the email apps to work.
Offline  
Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
BBFAQ Sysop
 
ricpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Model: 9700
OS: X 10.6
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE
Posts: 3,760
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Search this guy's post': "FoxGlove"
__________________
All your base are belong to us.
Offline  
Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F
With a generic data plan in addition you may:

* use a third party browser like Opera Mini, but NOT the resident BlackBerry browser
* may get email either via a web interface (using Opera) or other third party app, but NOT BlackBerry push email
* use a number of third party applications that require net access, including some instant messenger programs, as long as they're available to install from DM because:
* canNOT install apps OTA because that requires the resident browser
* canNOT use BlackBerry messenger or do PIN-->PIN messaging
but Im using a generic data plan and CAN use Browser and CAN download OTA!
Offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hanoi Vietnam
Model: 8300
OS: 4.5
PIN: 25169B33
Carrier: Viettel
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am live in Vietnam (no BlackBerry Service here), But i can use BlackBerry Browser (apply some trick) to browser the Web and OTA download. Ofcouse i have no BIS BES . just only GPRS.

I want to know, can i post my Guide here to help you "Use the BlackBerry Browser without BIS or BES"

Here my Guide. but is Vietnamese. (I think you can understand the picture)
English version coming soon

BlackBerryWithouBIS - BlackBerry without BIS/BES

Last edited by anworm : 07-01-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hanoi Vietnam
Model: 8300
OS: 4.5
PIN: 25169B33
Carrier: Viettel
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Now you can use BlackBerry Browser without BIS or BES

The English Version of my Guide is out,
Now you can use BlackBerry Browser without BIS or BES.
Offline  
Old 07-05-2008, 03:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
makedonce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Skopje, Macedonia at the moment
Model: 8900
OS: 5.0.348
PIN: 24AE6BA3
Carrier: T-mobile MK
Posts: 464
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nice find. However, are u sure it works? I have 8320 as well as 8700 and i wanna try this on one of the models.
How does funambol push e mail? do u get any notifications on the screen? how much data does it consume? the 8320 does have a wifi browser and i really dont need browser that will work on GPRS, however the email service book would be handy.
please answer the questions if you can
thanks
__________________
BB Support rule #1: When in doubt, pull it out..... (the battery)


http://www.twitter.com/petarnikoloski
Offline  
Old 07-05-2008, 05:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hanoi Vietnam
Model: 8300
OS: 4.5
PIN: 25169B33
Carrier: Viettel
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by makedonce View Post
Nice find. However, are u sure it works? I have 8320 as well as 8700 and i wanna try this on one of the models.
How does funambol push e mail? do u get any notifications on the screen? how much data does it consume? the 8320 does have a wifi browser and i really dont need browser that will work on GPRS, however the email service book would be handy.
please answer the questions if you can
thanks
I test it in Vietnam and it work on some model

Reports:
Model - OS - mxxx7841;ng - Online

8300 - 4.5/4.2 - Viettel - ok report by anworm, huyxom, thanhkeu
8310 - 4.2 - vina - ok report by
8320 - 4.5/4.2 - - GPRS/Wifi (SB_wifi_tcp) Report by haipm

8100 - 4.5/4.2 - Viettel - ok report by anworm, Xun tc xxx273;xxx7887;, darkelite, UnderNewbie

8800 - 4.5/4.2 - - ok report by catvuvn, thanh-sanyo, trungzena
8820 - 4.5/4.2 - Mobifone - GPRS/Wifi (SB_wifi_tcp) Report by tinhvi

8700g - - Vina - ok report by rockone1909, cdhanh, ongtieu
8700c - - Vina - ok report by huynh cong minh
8707V - 4.2 - - ok report by hpeditor, pna

7100V - - - ok report by ngo_duc_hau

you can check it here hxxp://tinhte.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55619

About funambol. Try it and you will see how is good.

8320 have wifi Browser, but you need close to wireless AP to use Browser. But with gprs you can use it anywhere. With my SB you can switch GPRS and Wifi mode.
Offline  
Old 07-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
makedonce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Skopje, Macedonia at the moment
Model: 8900
OS: 5.0.348
PIN: 24AE6BA3
Carrier: T-mobile MK
Posts: 464
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

OK i did it and it works. My browser is still only wifi, which is OK, but I can use funambol.

Thanks
__________________
BB Support rule #1: When in doubt, pull it out..... (the battery)


http://www.twitter.com/petarnikoloski
Offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VN Mobifone
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm in Viet nam.
I can access internet without BES or BIS.
I use BB 8830 on GSM (Carrier : Mobile Fone).
Offline  
Old 08-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: null
OS: null
Carrier: No Carrier
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Email/internet without BIS/BES

Hi all, I have an 8320 and the wife has 8120. I do not have a blackberry internet service plan. I am able to browse using: Blackberry Browser, Opera Mini 4.1 on the 8320, EQO (multi protocol instant messenger), and Live Search. Just thought I would add my experience.
Offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 121
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anworm View Post
The English Version of my Guide is out,
Now you can use BlackBerry Browser without BIS or BES.
wow..thank you so much anworm...it worked for me! i'm using sprint in the US
Offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
wow..thank you so much anworm...it worked for me! i'm using sprint in the US
And how about if you don't have a service book on your BB to begin with and can't get one because of the lack of BIS/BES? eyecon how did you do it? I'm also on Sprint in the US.

Any chance of sharing your service book backed up file?
Offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 121
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmackpapa View Post
And how about if you don't have a service book on your BB to begin with and can't get one because of the lack of BIS/BES? eyecon how did you do it? I'm also on Sprint in the US.

Any chance of sharing your service book backed up file?
There's a file at the very end of the page named ''Service book Anworm TCP for All Network'' that has the service book in it..so you just restore that into your blackberry...you use the program to use option 1 to remove...then restore the SB..then use option 2 in the program to install browser back on...hope this helps
Offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Oh, right, duh. I suck. It works now! Woo hoo! Thanks so much... now to configure push mail.
Offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 11:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 121
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmackpapa View Post
Oh, right, duh. I suck. It works now! Woo hoo! Thanks so much... now to configure push mail.
unfortunately, there is no workaround for push email and blackberry messenger...but i really don't care....

i use the gmail app anyways...and for messenger..id never even use blackberry messenger...i use jivetalk which allows me to use aim and google talk at onc
Offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

eyecon, how long has your BB been working with this trick? Mine worked for about a day, and it seems maybe Sprint caught on and shut down my access. It's weird though, because I can still get onto the facebook application, but using the browser or any other app doesn't seem to be working anymore. Grr.
Offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 121
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hmmmm....mine still works...the problem is that you keep having to have to resend it...sometimes it says it can't connect to a hyperlink...but hit refresh and it'll work again!

this is not just a sprint thing...this is a blackberry thing...and as long as you have the service books...they can't do anything about it...

there are a lot of people who basically did a work around by signing up for the blackbery service....backing up their service books..and cancelling the blackberry service...then restoring their service books....this trick just simplifies the process of removing and restoring your browser so you can backup and restore your servicebook

they only way they can catch on and fix this is perhapsy try to change the way the modules work in future OS's

as a result, this trick should still work for you

all the other apps will work no matter what...such as opera, facebook, google maps..etc
Offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You're right, it appears to be working again, as do the other apps.

Here's another question: have you been able to get any of the Sprint specific services onto your BB (On Demand, Navigation, etc). I don't really care so much about TV or On Demand, but it would be nice to get the Navigation for when I make some long distance trips. I was reading on some other forums how you can only get Navigation (according to customer service) with the BB data plan added to your package but that's crap, because clearly the web can be accessed without it.

Maybe there's a Sprint site where those things can be downloaded OTA?

By the way, I tested funambol and it actually does do push e-mail on the BB, but it only lets you set up one e-mail account. I may just go through gmail for all my e-mail multiple account needs.
Offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 10
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would really like to attempt anworm's solution as I have a Curve 8310, with no data plan at all.

A huge problem for me is I have no idea how to even understand the directions given by anworm. I really need to have it dumbed down for me.

Any chance anyone would be willing to help a BB noob?

Thanks
Offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Badland, may try and break it down for you later (am at work at the moment). And when you say no data plan, you mean no BB data plan but just a regular Sprint data plan... because otherwise you will rack up data charges super quick.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.