BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Newby Silly question

Please Login to Remove!

I cant figure out how to set my ring tones for the phone and for SMS?

I can set individual ring tones but cant figure out how to set the basics???

Thanks
Offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
barbwyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern California
Model: 8310
OS: 4.5.0.52
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 832
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can't assign ringtones to individual contacts for SMS. There is a work around that involves setting up profiles for each contact but it is not 100% effective and I am ready to dump it myself. In the menu of each contact is a link to set a custom ringtone for that caller. You can also go into the active profile and set a single ringtone for ALL SMS.

Here's the work around if you wanna try it.
How to set custom text message tones to contacts

Last edited by barbwyr : 08-15-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,715
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 115 Times in 82 Posts
Default

How do I edit my notification tones (profiles)? - BlackBerryFAQ
Offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you for the tips
Offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Just me
 
fonejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: iFone
OS: iOS4
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility
Posts: 2,292
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbwyr View Post
You can't assign ringtones to individual contacts for SMS. There is a work around that involves setting up profiles for each contact but it is not 100% effective and I am ready to dump it myself. In the menu of each contact is a link to set a custom ringtone for that caller. You can also go into the active profile and set a single ringtone for ALL SMS.

Here's the work around if you wanna try it.
How to set custom text message tones to contacts
You CAN do custom tones for SMS, by sender. I have two set up one for my wife and another for my office, which serves as a 'pager' for callouts.
Offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
barbwyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern California
Model: 8310
OS: 4.5.0.52
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 832
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
You CAN do custom tones for SMS, by sender. I have two set up one for my wife and another for my office, which serves as a 'pager' for callouts.
Correct...that's why I gave him the only work around I've seen. The problem is that it does not obey the vibrate or silent rules and often times unassigned contacts will pick up the last custom tone used. BB does not incorperate the ability to Customize SMS tones by contact the way they do with Phone calls.
Offline  
Old 08-16-2008, 12:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Just me
 
fonejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: iFone
OS: iOS4
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility
Posts: 2,292
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbwyr View Post
Correct...that's why I gave him the only work around I've seen. The problem is that it does not obey the vibrate or silent rules and often times unassigned contacts will pick up the last custom tone used. BB does not incorperate the ability to Customize SMS tones by contact the way they do with Phone calls.
Ok, I guess I misunderstood your first post on the subject. In my case, the pager callout profile doesn't use vibrate or silent - it's the loudest and most obnoxious sound I could find... intentionally - so I hear it in the night if I get called out from work.

There was mention around here (Aftermarket Software section) about AlertMatrix - which is supposed to address that - I tried it, but seemed like overkill for my needs.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Panasonic Toughbook CF-SX2JDAZ1m 120GB SSD 8GB RAM Core i5 3320m
$549.0
Panasonic Toughbook CF-SX2JDAZ1m 120GB SSD  8GB RAM Core i5 3320m pictureGreenlee 7306SB 1/2"- 2" Hydraulic Knockout 767 pump 746 ram punch set
$449.99
Greenlee 7306SB 1/2Stubby Radio Antenna for 2009-2016 Dodge RAM 1500 2500 3500
$50.0
Stubby Radio Antenna for 2009-2016 Dodge RAM 1500 2500 3500 pictureenerpac cr78040 plunger for RCS-302 cylinder hydraulic ram
$250.0
enerpac cr78040 plunger for RCS-302 cylinder hydraulic ram picturePar Everserv 6000 Touchscreen POS Terminal 2.16GHz CPU 3GB RAM 80GB HDD M7125-01
$349.99
Par Everserv 6000 Touchscreen POS Terminal 2.16GHz CPU 3GB RAM 80GB HDD M7125-01 picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.