I spent a lot of time with Airtel support (121) and Airtel BlackBerry support (7070) but could not get any help. By using various inputs and several trial and error, I am now able to use BlackBerry 8700 as a modem with Windows XP laptop. I believe the steps should also apply to other BlackBerry models that support modems. I am asusming that you have the required BB services from airtel.
1. Install the BB desktop manager. BB modem driver should also be installed when you do this. You can check if the modem driver is installed by looking for "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Modem Drivers"
2. Connect the BB modem using the USB cable and start the "BB Desktop Manager" sofware. BB Desktop Manager should be running to use the device as modem
3. Test the basic modem functionality by
- click on Control Panel -> Phone and Modem options
- Click on Modems tab and select Standard modem
- Click on Properties, a new window (standard modem properties)will open
- click on diagnostics tab and click on Query Modem button, you should see something like
ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - BlackBerry IP Modem
AT+FCLASS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
ATI1 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI2 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI3 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI4 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI5 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI6 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI7 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
4. click on the Advanced tab and enter the following extra initialization command
5. Close out the Phone and Modem windows
6. Go back to control panel and click on "Network Connections"
7. Click on "Create New Connection" and do the following
- select "connect to the internet", click next
- select "setup my connection manually", click next
- select "connect using a dial-up modem", click next
- select "Modem - Standard model" ONLY, click next
- Provide a name of your choice, say "Airtel BB", click next
- Enter *99# as phone number to dial, click next
- select "Anyone's use", click next
- In the internet account information window, leave all fields (username, password) empty, uncheck the 2 options, click next
- check the "add a shortcut.." (you will find this handy), click FINISH
8. When you need to connect using the modem, click on the newly created short cut, and click on "Dial".
With the above steps, I got connected with 115.2kbps.
Hope you will find this helpful.