12-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
| | Question on ATT Roaming in China
Please Login to Remove!
I recently moved to China for the next year and took with my brand new ATT BlackBerry bold. I bought the international Roaming unlimited data package thinking that would work fine for me. While everything has been great it turns out that ATT (from their contract) could just cancel the plan without notice if your usage exceeds 6 mb a month. So it really itís not unlimited.
I had some questions for anyone with experience in this:
1. Has anyone had their service canceled (without notice) by ATT while traveling in China for an extended period of time.
2. If ATT does cancel the service will they also cancel voice (and my telephone number) or is their some way to ensure that you donít lose the number
3. When you get a China Mobile BlackBerry package what do you have to do to the phone (other than unlock it) to make sure you are not being charged by ATT (changing APNís, Service Books, etc.). Is it possible that ATT would charge me if the ESIN number of a phone is the same but the SIM is not (e.g. if I missed removing some APN or setting from the phone)
4. Can I cancel my ATT BlackBerry domestic plan and add it every time I am back in the US (about every 3 months). Will ATT cause me any problems?
5. If you have the unlimited international plan is there any way for ATT to charge you roaming data just because you were over (which seems silly since it is unlimited!)
Essentially I am wondering if I should continue with the ATT Unlimited International plan until they cancel me, and then just go and get a China Mobile SIM. I donít think I can cancel my International plan now since I signed a year contract.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached by replying to this post or emailing me: cwatkins AT alumni DOT cmu DOT edu