BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 48
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Is push email the main reason you stick with BB?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm just curious how many people stick with their BB because of the push email feature. From what I can tell BB does a great job of push email that no one else has caught up with yet. I'm wondering if that is why people stick with their BB (those who aren't forced into a BB due to work) or if there is another reason. I ask because I see some other phones with similar (keyboard) if not better (web browsing) features and wonder how many just keep with BB for the email.
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
akosnitzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.333
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 14,484
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

reliable product
__________________
------
Follow @akosnitzky on Twitter

LET'S GO CANES!
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Whoever
 
audit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Michigan
Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,213
Post Thanks: 36
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Push email isn't vital to me because I had it via Chatteremail on a Treo. Security is #1 to me and that's what the BB provides me. You will never find another Smart Phone that provides the security that a BB provides.
__________________
audit

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: 10.010219
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 8,229
Post Thanks: 40
Thanked 570 Times in 565 Posts
Default

The real reason is once you have one they send tendrils into your body and you can never remove it or you will become very very ILL. Really , just ask anyone, itís true, trust me.
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks buttonÓ


9810 BES
Z10 on BES
9700 BIS
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kjjb0204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 1,813
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

OS stability, phone clarity is the best of any phone I've owned, email...many other reasons.
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: 10.010219
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 8,229
Post Thanks: 40
Thanked 570 Times in 565 Posts
Default

I still say it's the nasty Tendrils
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks buttonÓ


9810 BES
Z10 on BES
9700 BIS
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kjjb0204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 1,813
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
I still say it's the nasty Tendrils
Of course, those too. I meant, in addition to the tendrils....
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
EPIC MOD
 
ezrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Model: ZED10
OS: DOS 3.1
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 12,214
Post Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (hope is everything!)

Chicks dig guys whom carry a BB

Security
Email reliability
Call quality
Blackberry messenger
Kick butt forums
__________________
ZED 10
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8100
PIN: You tell me :-)
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 82
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Wirelessly posted (hope is everything!)

Chicks dig guys whom carry a BB

Security
Email reliability
Call quality
Blackberry messenger
Kick butt forums
I completely agree... For me the platform is steady, good support great devices that come out on a regular basis.
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
mas90guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Connecticut
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 655
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Mostly the reliability of the email
__________________
http://www.s-consult.com
Schulz Consulting
Sage MAS 90 and MAS 200 Support and Consulting
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 31
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
OS stability, phone clarity is the best of any phone I've owned, email...many other reasons.
I agree completely. My other phone is windows mobile...and after a few hours with the curve, I wanted to ditch the windows phone. Weeks later, I feel the same, and will probably switch it to another curve (maybe the new one).

Also...KILLER battery life compared to other smartphones I have had.

Last edited by unbb : 01-19-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
TeritaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys
Posts: 591
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

the push email is what hooks you, but its the bbim that keeps you addicted. at least in my case.
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 48
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
Push email isn't vital to me because I had it via Chatteremail on a Treo. Security is #1 to me and that's what the BB provides me. You will never find another Smart Phone that provides the security that a BB provides.
I hear this alot but I don't think a BB offers anything that can't be had on a Win Mobile device, which is capable of the same security features AFAIK. Unless there is something that RIM does that I am not aware of.
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 48
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
OS stability, phone clarity is the best of any phone I've owned, email...many other reasons.
OS stability is something I can understand. But I could counter that the BB OS isn't doing all that much compared some other of the other OS's, which would mean it should totally be more stable.

But phone clarity? Is that really a function of it being RIM / BB? Isn't that totally hardware and carrier? I mean, would I really get better phone clarity with Verizon if they were terrible in my area just by switching from a non smart phone to a BB? It's statements like phone clarity that make me wonder.
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 48
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbb View Post
Also...KILLER battery life compared to other smartphones I have had.
Well battery life should be a function of what's running right? The sales rep told me in the store to be sure to close my browser (and not just back out) on my Curve when I was done otherwise it would stay active and drain my battery. Besides the fact that this seemed a very stupid design in my opinion it points out that if other phones work the same way then maybe it's not really the phone but the user who is expecting too much from a battery. I will admit that the devs should make it so an app does not drain a battery when not in use or when the user backs out of it, but if they all behave that way and users refuse to basically "turn off the lights" then can we really blame the phone for draining the battery?
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Riyadh,Saudi Arabia
Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Aljawwal STC
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default ...??

ummmmm...whats push email??
i noticed that i dnt know anything on the BB
i truely need a crash course
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 48
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
ummmmm...whats push email??
i noticed that i dnt know anything on the BB
i truely need a crash course
It's where email is pushed immediately to your BB no matter what email account you have. For example, with an iPhone you can set it up with a Gmail account but you have to launch the email application manually to check for email. With a BB, you don't do anything - it just receives the emails and then alerts you when they arrive.
Offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 31
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
Well battery life should be a function of what's running right? The sales rep told me in the store to be sure to close my browser (and not just back out) on my Curve when I was done otherwise it would stay active and drain my battery. Besides the fact that this seemed a very stupid design in my opinion it points out that if other phones work the same way then maybe it's not really the phone but the user who is expecting too much from a battery. I will admit that the devs should make it so an app does not drain a battery when not in use or when the user backs out of it, but if they all behave that way and users refuse to basically "turn off the lights" then can we really blame the phone for draining the battery?
I don't close my browser or other apps. I do happen to have two batteries, so every two or three days it gets "rebooted" when I switch to the fresh battery. I am more careful with the winmo and it's battery lasts less than half as long (with NO voice compared to the BB doing all my voice work).

The real question, what are you really after? Personal justification to save yourself $30 a month? I think the carriers changed that game when most smartphones cost the same additional per month now. So, if you want someone to say it's ok to get something different, here you go. Get what makes you happy.

(can I buy your sprint curve when you move on? :D I will even trade my q9c)

Last edited by unbb : 01-19-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Offline  
Old 01-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Whoever
 
audit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Michigan
Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,213
Post Thanks: 36
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
I hear this alot but I don't think a BB offers anything that can't be had on a Win Mobile device, which is capable of the same security features AFAIK. Unless there is something that RIM does that I am not aware of.
BBM Chat is 100% Secure. Show me a Win Mobile device that has that. I've also crashed Win Mobile devices during security audit's of companies with simple exploits.
__________________
audit

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Offline  
Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 48
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbb View Post
I don't close my browser or other apps. I do happen to have two batteries, so every two or three days it gets "rebooted" when I switch to the fresh battery. I am more careful with the winmo and it's battery lasts less than half as long (with NO voice compared to the BB doing all my voice work).

The real question, what are you really after? Personal justification to save yourself $30 a month? I think the carriers changed that game when most smartphones cost the same additional per month now. So, if you want someone to say it's ok to get something different, here you go. Get what makes you happy.

(can I buy your sprint curve when you move on? :D I will even trade my q9c)
From the reviews I've read, it seems like the more graphical the phone is, the more battery drain is reported. Even the new graphical BB models seem to report battery life similar to iPhone or WinMo phones. Then again, AFAIK the BB is the only phone with an auto shut off and turn on function which can only help promote battery life.

You are wrong about the cost being the same, at least for Sprint. To get a BB you must pay $30 a month. For other smart phones except for the Instinct all you need (I think) is a $15 a month data charge added to your line. So in my case, owning a BB costs twice as much per month.

As to what I'm searching for, I suppose I'm trying to understand what I am getting with my Curve that I may not get elsewhere. As this is my first pda / smart phone I have nothing to compare. It does handle email nicely, and the sound clarity is good, but I am not sure it's twice as good at email and sound as something else. I'm not even sure it's exactly the same. I'm not even sure if it does something unique that others cannot.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.