BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 8830 World Edition vs. 8330 Curve

Please Login to Remove!

I just got a 8830 World Edition BlackBerry from Verizon Wireless earlier this week and was wondering whether I should keep it or return it for the 8330 Curve? Are there any big differences between the two? I don't need to do anything fancy with my BlackBerry but I also don't need the camera on the 8330. I don't plan on traveling around the world much so the World Edition probably won't be huge for me either. I am new to the BlackBerry world and would like to know your guys' opinions on the 8830 vs. the 8330.
Offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
akosnitzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.333
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 14,484
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

You are better off with 8330. Much more memory and contains a camera.
__________________
------
Follow @akosnitzky on Twitter

LET'S GO CANES!
Offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
BBF War Game Mod
 
Jadey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denver CO
Model: Z10
OS: 10010614
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 4,294
Post Thanks: 9
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Default

User said he does not need camera...
__________________
Jadey : Groupware Infrastructure Architect, Denver CO
If I'm not here, I'm playing World's End on FaceBook. Mob/Mafia Wars are SOO last year
Offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
akosnitzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.333
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 14,484
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadey View Post
User said he does not need camera...
I originally said the same thing and regret it now
__________________
------
Follow @akosnitzky on Twitter

LET'S GO CANES!
Offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

I wrote an review about the differences between the 2 devices (on Sprint, but they are the same devices on Verizon). Maybe it will help.

Sprint BlackBerry Comparison - 8830, 8130, 8330 | BlackBerryNews.com
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator
 
SteveO86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.280
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS
Posts: 6,534
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

Since you won't be traveling I would go with the Curve, mainly do to the amount of memory it has.

But I would mess around with the Curve see which one feels easier to use in your hand that will be the deal breaker.
__________________
8830 -> 8330 -> 9550 -> 9650
Just think about how far BlackBerries have come from then till now... And what else is coming.

Follow me on Twitter
Offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
akosnitzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.333
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 14,484
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I wrote an review about the differences between the 2 devices (on Sprint, but they are the same devices on Verizon). Maybe it will help.

Sprint BlackBerry Comparison - 8830, 8130, 8330 | BlackBerryNews.com
I see you chose the Curve overall
__________________
------
Follow @akosnitzky on Twitter

LET'S GO CANES!
Offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Yep, and I have 2 of them (1 for work, 1 for personal). Will have to see how the Sprint Bold holds up against the Curve when it comes out.
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
I originally said the same thing and regret it now
I have had a camera phone for 5 years now and I have never used a camera on my other phones so something tells me I don't need one. I got the World Edition because it seemed more business-like than the more personal Curve. Does the OS perform any faster or is there any capabilities it has that the Curve doesn't? I would use my BB for both personal and business things. I think I read the 8830 has WiFi or something but the 8330 has full browser capabilities. I think another reason I was contemplating switching to the curve is the smaller more phone-like size. Is there any thing about the 8830 that is more business-like than the 8330? I mean it costs more than the curve and it lacks a camera so I figured it had to have some features that I don't know of.
Offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 06:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangatangawang View Post
I have had a camera phone for 5 years now and I have never used a camera on my other phones so something tells me I don't need one. I got the World Edition because it seemed more business-like than the more personal Curve. Does the OS perform any faster or is there any capabilities it has that the Curve doesn't? I would use my BB for both personal and business things. I think I read the 8830 has WiFi or something but the 8330 has full browser capabilities. I think another reason I was contemplating switching to the curve is the smaller more phone-like size. Is there any thing about the 8830 that is more business-like than the 8330? I mean it costs more than the curve and it lacks a camera so I figured it had to have some features that I don't know of.
The 8830 does not have WiFi, and they both have full browser capability. You were mislead.

Just because it costs more does not make it better. That is ill-fated logic. The 8830 OS is not as good as Curve, it's bigger, and the Curve is honestly just as business as the 8830 in my book (unless you get a pink one).
__________________
I h8 txtspk.

Last edited by dc/dc : 01-26-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
pshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Right behind you!!!!!
Model: ...
OS: Android
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)
Posts: 590
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I had to make this same decision about 6 months ago. While the 8830 was better suited for my large hands and I did not need the camera, I've not regreted choosing the 8330, mainly due to more memory.

You WILL use the camera (occasionally), when you "remember" that you have one on your device. Think of it as a bonus feature.
Offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. The BB 8830 has been working pretty well for me and I guess the only reason I was thinking about switching was

1.) Size. This isn't a huge issue for me but I'm still getting acclimated from switching from a normal sized phone to a blackberry.

2.) Keyboard - It seems people like the keyboard on the curve more but again this isn't huge for me, I've been doing ok with the 8830 keyboard

3.) Reviews - The 8330 Curve seems to have done better than the 8830 World Edition on most reviews.

What do you guys use the extra memory on? Again, I do not plan on doing anything fancy with my BB like adding media or anything, the only things I have are apps such as WSJ, ESPN, simple things like that. Does the 8830 have a better battery life than the 8330? And am I correct in assuming it sounds like from the replies the only advantage the 8830 has over the 8330 is that it has World roaming feature (something I will not use much if at all)? And also, can I assume from the responses that the curve performs just as well or better in pretty much all personal and business uses?
Offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator
 
SteveO86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.280
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS
Posts: 6,534
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangatangawang View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. The BB 8830 has been working pretty well for me and I guess the only reason I was thinking about switching was

1.) Size. This isn't a huge issue for me but I'm still getting acclimated from switching from a normal sized phone to a blackberry.

2.) Keyboard - It seems people like the keyboard on the curve more but again this isn't huge for me, I've been doing ok with the 8830 keyboard

3.) Reviews - The 8330 Curve seems to have done better than the 8830 World Edition on most reviews.

What do you guys use the extra memory on? Again, I do not plan on doing anything fancy with my BB like adding media or anything, the only things I have are apps such as WSJ, ESPN, simple things like that. Does the 8830 have a better battery life than the 8330? And am I correct in assuming it sounds like from the replies the only advantage the 8830 has over the 8330 is that it has World roaming feature (something I will not use much if at all)? And also, can I assume from the responses that the curve performs just as well or better in pretty much all personal and business uses?
1. It took me a good week or two to get use to the Curve keyboard when I switched from my 8830.

As far as the extra memory I have..

JiveTalk - Access all my IM accounts.
MySpace - Stay connected with family
Ascendo Data Vault - All my user IDs/Passwords
Cram - Studying.
Viigo - Stay current on RSS feeds.
Vlingo - Been messing around with this... Not too sure about it.
BB Maps GPS has actually came in real handy.
Opera Mini - Downloading files to my media card.
Bolt - Testing it out.
WeatherBug Direct - For the weather.
3/4 Email accounts.
Doc To Go - Documents.
Ziplorer - Zip Files

I think I am missing a few apps...

Best thing you can do is head to the store and compare them side by side. The Camera is not a needed feature but is handy to have, as far as the memory I love it.
__________________
8830 -> 8330 -> 9550 -> 9650
Just think about how far BlackBerries have come from then till now... And what else is coming.

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by SteveO86 : 01-26-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I heard that the GPS is locked on the 8830 but available on the 8330. Is this true? And what does the GPS on the 8330 enable you to do? Do you get turn by turn with BB Maps or something? Also, sorry for the dumb questions but I am very new to the bb world, can you use both, one, or neither of the devices (between the 8830 and the 8330) as a modem for your computer if you don't have wifi somewhere?
Offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangatangawang View Post
2.) Keyboard - It seems people like the keyboard on the curve more but again this isn't huge for me, I've been doing ok with the 8830 keyboard
That's really a matter of subjective preference (as is the usefulness of the feature set for any given model). I'd say try them both out. We can't tell you which you'll prefer or even if you have a preference. I've used both the 8800 (similar keyboard to the 8830) and the 8310 and I really don't have a strong preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangatangawang View Post
I heard that the GPS is locked on the 8830 but available on the 8330. Is this true? And what does the GPS on the 8330 enable you to do? Do you get turn by turn with BB Maps or something?
All the GPS receiver does is give you your latitude and longitude. Any other functionality is determined by the GPS app that you use. I'm not too clear on what the deal is with the various VZW BB models and GPS but at best you can use VZ Navigator and BB Maps with the built-in receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangatangawang View Post
Also, sorry for the dumb questions but I am very new to the bb world, can you use both, one, or neither of the devices (between the 8830 and the 8330) as a modem for your computer if you don't have wifi somewhere?
Either one as long as you pay VZW to allow tethering.

Last edited by takeshi : 01-28-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.