BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 31
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Odd Calendar sharing question

Please Login to Remove!

Ok...I tried a bunch of searches and some tests, can't find the solution I need.

Scenario;
My ex and I are really busy with the kids sports and activities. She has a BB with BIS, I have one BES, one BIS. All three are different carriers. Calendar events when I send to her don't add a reminder. It is also tedious. What I want is to be able to share only kid entries. We both use the regular calendar, so switching to something else would be more trouble than worth.

Is there anything to add entries to two blackberries that do not sync at the same computer? It would really make life easier...but obviously neither of us want to share all entries. I don't care if I use the BES or BIS on my side if that can help. If it's on the BES one, I will just mark private.

Any ideas?
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator
 
SteveO86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.280
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS
Posts: 6,534
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

I think Unite! offers shared calendars, but other then that nothing I know of.

Unite! is getting canned in about a year though.
__________________
8830 -> 8330 -> 9550 -> 9650
Just think about how far BlackBerries have come from then till now... And what else is coming.

Follow me on Twitter
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
MasterMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: WV
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.266
PIN: 24A826A3
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 57
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Why not just start a shared gmail account that both of you have the password for. Use the Google calendar and download the Google sync. This will add the appointment to your BB calendar as well as hers after she also downloads the Google sync.

Simple, easy and free. What more can you ask for.
Offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North Myrtle Beach SC
Model: 9650
OS: 5.whatevr
PIN: T o' Bitters
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 156
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbb View Post
Ok...I tried a bunch of searches and some tests, can't find the solution I need.

Scenario;
My ex and I are really busy with the kids sports and activities. She has a BB with BIS, I have one BES, one BIS. All three are different carriers. Calendar events when I send to her don't add a reminder. It is also tedious. What I want is to be able to share only kid entries. We both use the regular calendar, so switching to something else would be more trouble than worth.

Is there anything to add entries to two blackberries that do not sync at the same computer? It would really make life easier...but obviously neither of us want to share all entries. I don't care if I use the BES or BIS on my side if that can help. If it's on the BES one, I will just mark private.

Any ideas?
Try out the "invite attendee" while scheduling a new event.
__________________
Steve
73 de K3SLS
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 31
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
I think Unite! offers shared calendars, but other then that nothing I know of.

Unite! is getting canned in about a year though.
Unite is a bit more than I was looking to get into. I read a bit on it and it looks like a pain for what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMerlin View Post
Why not just start a shared gmail account that both of you have the password for. Use the Google calendar and download the Google sync. This will add the appointment to your BB calendar as well as hers after she also downloads the Google sync.

Simple, easy and free. What more can you ask for.
I didn't know the gmail would copy into the BB calendar, that might work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumSteve View Post
Try out the "invite attendee" while scheduling a new event.
The problem is remembering to do that, if I add her later she doesn't get a reminder. Also, can that be done when entering on a PC in outlook?

Either way, thanks for the responses. I'm going to look closer at the gmail one I think. See if it is what I need.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Klotar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg MB Canada
Model: 9700R
OS: 7.1.0.190
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 902
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I think the key is remembering to "Add Invitee" for new appointments.

I have gotten into the habit of doing so for all non-business appointments, even if the appointment is not for the other person (e.g. the wife), but by using keywords to identify whom. So, if I have a dentist appointment, then in the subject I might show "Klotar: Dentist Appt" so that the wife doesn't think it's her appointment but will still be aware that I have an appointment.

In your case, just remembering to Invite Attendee for the kids stuff will take care of the reminder issue. Just don't invite her for the non-kids stuff.

Sync'ing with Outlook or DM isn't an issue, the wife never syncs, I only do so weekly.
__________________
-Klotar
Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.
BlackBerry Certified Support Specialist
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North Myrtle Beach SC
Model: 9650
OS: 5.whatevr
PIN: T o' Bitters
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 156
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbb View Post
The problem is remembering to do that, if I add her later she doesn't get a reminder. Also, can that be done when entering on a PC in outlook?
Yes, there is a tab in Outlook for inviting attendees.

Adding her later should generate an update message sent to all attendees.

If you're worried about remembering the "invite" method...try GMail calendar sync and share first. I've tried it too but had problems with some events not syncing...never figured out what the reason was.
__________________
Steve
73 de K3SLS
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 31
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Appreciate the help guys! I think the gcal is the way to go in our situation. She never connects to a desktop and adds her entries directly on her BB. With a little preliminary testing I think this will work great. If I was the only one adding entries, then outlook would work...not sure if I feel like training her too much... Plus, she'd have to accept the entries then, correct?

I will keep an eye on syncing to make sure it is happening. Thanks for the heads up there.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North Myrtle Beach SC
Model: 9650
OS: 5.whatevr
PIN: T o' Bitters
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 156
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbb View Post
Appreciate the help guys! I think the gcal is the way to go in our situation. She never connects to a desktop and adds her entries directly on her BB. With a little preliminary testing I think this will work great. If I was the only one adding entries, then outlook would work...not sure if I feel like training her too much... Plus, she'd have to accept the entries then, correct?

I will keep an eye on syncing to make sure it is happening. Thanks for the heads up there.
Yes, she would have to accept or decline...and with or without comments. That could be useful in avoiding conflicts if you can't see the other calendar or can't share a single calendar. My wife and I invite each other to all events...we differentiate those by putting our 1st initial at the start of the subject for the event. Events including both of us get no initial. My wife loves this setup because she doesn't feel like a slave to her PC anymore. We can keep up and schedule work and social events easily...and without having to deal with multiple calendars.

Let us know how GMail does in your situation.
__________________
Steve
73 de K3SLS
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.