BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Water Damaged Curve, how do i know if the circuit board was short circuited?

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, so I play lacrosse and somehow my water bottle exploded leaving three nasty holes at the bottom of the bottle (less plastic in new Poland Spring bottles = more vulnerable!) and so my whole lacrosse bag was like an ocean. Not a lot of important stuff was in my bag except for my blackberry!

So I immediately emptied out the bag and got my blackberry. Removed the skin, battery cover and battery. I let it rest on the passenger seat as I drove home from lacrosse practice.
Curve 8330 // Bought it sometime mid-March.

I got home and parked in my driveway. I wiped everything down with my sweatshirt and then put the battery back in the phone (MISTAKE!) it turns on but when it comes time for me to put my password in the keys aren't working! Like when I press the 'del' key instead of deleting one character, two characters come up. So I then take out the battery.

I finally get back into the house and try again! (stupid me ...) Again this is happening. So I google some stuff to find out that I should not have put the battery back in and I should let it dry. I also read up on some rice trick.

I stupidly put the blackberry in a bag full of rice without the battery cover. Two hours later I check on my blackberry to find that there's rice in it! I shook all the rice out and I'm not sure if that was a good idea so again I stupidly put the battery back in and same thing happens, the keys don't work!

Oh and each time I put the battery in and powered the phone on the screen began to fog up / condense.
Also the battery clearly shows that the phone is water damaged

Anyway my questions:
1) What percent chance is there that my phone will survive?!
2) Is there anything else I can do? If so what? or Should I buy a new one?
3) What are symptoms of a circuit board that is short circuited?
4) Can I call warranty if the phone is completely dry and the keys still don't work? (If I change the battery to one that does not show water dmage)

This is so frustrating!

Last edited by xclaire : 04-15-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Offline  
Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
BBF War Game Mod
 
Jadey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denver CO
Model: Z10
OS: 10010614
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 4,294
Post Thanks: 9
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclaire View Post
Anyway my questions:
1) What percent chance is there that my phone will survive?!
2) Is there anything else I can do? If so what? or Should I buy a new one?
3) What are symptoms of a circuit board that is short circuited?
4) Can I call warranty if the phone is completely dry and the keys still don't work? (If I change the battery to one that does not show water dmage)

This is so frustrating!
1) Small. Putting the battery in was a big mistake, I know you are aware of that now, but for anyone reading this take note!

2) I'll come back to you on this, just need to find some links

3) Water damage indicators, again will try and find links

4) I would assume not. It is not a warranty issue, the phone was damaged by the user and most warranties do not cover this. You'd need insurance.
__________________
Jadey : Groupware Infrastructure Architect, Denver CO
If I'm not here, I'm playing World's End on FaceBook. Mob/Mafia Wars are SOO last year
Offline  
Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I read somewhere (I'll try to find the exact thread) that someone had the same thing happen where their keyboard was malfunctioning like mine, but within some hours their phone was back to normal and I think they also said their phone was water damaged but this happened after their (attempt at) drying the phone.

I wonder if there's a possibility that this can happen to me as well?

// And I don't have insurance (hence my frustration) and since I've bought the blackberry and had it I don't think I can ever go back to some other random phone :(

& Thanks for the help so far, any more information from any one is definitely appreciated as well!
Offline  
Old 04-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CO_BBTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,044
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclaire View Post
4) Can I call warranty if the phone is completely dry and the keys still don't work? (If I change the battery to one that does not show water dmage)

This is so frustrating!
Your water damage indicator for the device is not on the battery. That is some other indicator, and there is some debate on whether or not it's a moisture indicator. There is another indicator somewhere under the covers that you should be able to visualize. This cannot be replaced to fool them. This is why it is not on the battery.
__________________
Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months.
Clifford Stoll
Offline  
Old 04-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's me again (: And my blackberry is alive!
I know that i shouldn't have put the battery in just for a "look see" but I was so curious and at that point I really did think that my blackberry was a goner so I thought what the heck might as well try. And Boom it worked. The keys were fine so I guess that them not working before was just the result of a bit of water under the keys.

The rice trick really did it (: And I only did it for 48 hours although I don't think my phone got thaaaat wet to begin with.

So I just wanted to post again on this thread to say that even though you have put your battery back in and the screen did get foggy with condensation and the keys did not work - it's not the end (:

Thank God I didn't buy a new phone, I was almost going to!
Offline  
Old 04-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kjjb0204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 1,813
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Did you win your game at least?
Offline  
Old 04-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: Droid
OS: Google!
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 1,555
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

water is not a conductor, or should we say a really bad conductor. what makes it bad is salt which will ionize to allow some conductivity.

with this said, take it apart clean it, and let it dry, a very low voltage device has low chances of breaking from clean bottled water then lets say salt water or ionized water.

you might be getting double letters due to the connection not breaking when you let go of the button.

tho if it is in a gym bag, and sweat has salt in it, it could allow the water to charge to conduct.

best bet let it dry for 24 hrs or more, or even better take it apart and let it dry.

edit: only thing that can really happen and that over time is corrosion since this is the one thing that water is very good at.

Last edited by wabbit : 04-17-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.