BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Model: 8900o
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Short battery life on my 8900

Please Login to Remove!

I'm new to this forum and have joined because of a problem I'm having with battery life on my Curve 8900.

After Charging overnight, the battery is dead by 3.00pm in the afternoon. This is without calling or texting anyone!

I am now onto my second battery, both have now failed, is it the phone?
Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Alister
Offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
akosnitzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.333
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 14,484
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Its a problem. You may want to buy an extra battery and external battery charger
__________________
------
Follow @akosnitzky on Twitter

LET'S GO CANES!
Offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Stuck In The '70's Mod
 
ndub33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The 'burbs east of Seattle.
Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 7,599
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Alos, if a new battery hasn'tresolved the situation, you may be eligible to get a warranty exchange on the devie through your carrier.
__________________
1st Step in Troubleshooting: Do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan?
2nd Step in Troubleshooting: Pull the Battery.
Offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern California
Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 16
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alister h rae View Post
I'm new to this forum and have joined because of a problem I'm having with battery life on my Curve 8900.

After Charging overnight, the battery is dead by 3.00pm in the afternoon. This is without calling or texting anyone!

I am now onto my second battery, both have now failed, is it the phone?
Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Alister
Make sure your firmware is upgraded to at least 4.6.1.231
If you're AT&T, you are probably already there; if you are TMO, you may not be. There is a vast difference in battery life with the newer firmware.
You can learn more in the Curve8900 section of the forums.
Offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
akosnitzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.333
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 14,484
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Its my understanding the battery issue may be device related
__________________
------
Follow @akosnitzky on Twitter

LET'S GO CANES!
Offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.405
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 99
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richb View Post
Make sure your firmware is upgraded to at least 4.6.1.231
If you're AT&T, you are probably already there; if you are TMO, you may not be. There is a vast difference in battery life with the newer firmware.
You can learn more in the Curve8900 section of the forums.
ITA - early 8900s had poor battery life - later OS releases have made a difference. I have one of the first AT&T devices with 4.6.1.231 and the worst I have ever seen at the end of a 24 hour day is 48% battery remaining - if I don't do too much playing around with the device I may have as much as 75% remaining. Talking on the phone seems to take less out of the battery than "fooling around" with it.

There's a lot of power saving features in the late OS versions, including CPU speed controls which may help explain why later versions are better than earlier ones.
Offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Platinum Sponsor
 
Horizon Wireless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CANADA
Model: 9920
OS: 5.2.0.168
PIN: 3218B513
Carrier: ROGERS AND FIDO
Posts: 885
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

if that doesnt help, id order an extended battery from seidioonline.com great products!!
__________________
http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com
Wholesale and Retail Blackberry Unlocks - All models & carriers
INSTANT 10% off : HOR10
Offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
akosnitzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.333
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 14,484
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimroe View Post
ITA - early 8900s had poor battery life - later OS releases have made a difference. I have one of the first AT&T devices with 4.6.1.231 and the worst I have ever seen at the end of a 24 hour day is 48% battery remaining - if I don't do too much playing around with the device I may have as much as 75% remaining. Talking on the phone seems to take less out of the battery than "fooling around" with it.

There's a lot of power saving features in the late OS versions, including CPU speed controls which may help explain why later versions are better than earlier ones.
Thank you for sharing.
__________________
------
Follow @akosnitzky on Twitter

LET'S GO CANES!
Offline  
Old 07-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.405
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 99
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Thank you for sharing.
One additional thought - while 8900s seem to have efficient radios - you can (and I do) leave WiFi and Bluetooth turned on all the time - even when I am not near any WiFi hotspot - one thing that will kill the battery on an 8900 is GPS. Any app that tries to automatically or periodically get a GPS location under circumstances where it's not possible (like you're indoors most of the time) will run the battery down in short order.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.