BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
prasetyadrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Model: 9800
Carrier: Telkomsel
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Switching BB: how to transfer data from 8320 to 8900?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I'm looking to switch from 8320 to 8900 (Javelin), and I'd like to know

(1) the specific steps to transfer my data from the old 8320 to 8900, and
(2) any problems, if any, that I should watch out for when/as a result of making the transfer

Thanks.
Offline  
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,036
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default

Depends on what sort of data you need to transfer. If it is contacts and calendar info, you can sync the old to Outlook then sync the new to Outlook and it should move over.

You can also use the Switch Device wizard.
__________________
-->>BB FAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter


If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Offline  
Old 08-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Just me
 
fonejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: iFone
OS: iOS4
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility
Posts: 2,292
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

+1 for Desktop Manager's Device Switch wizard... the only way to fly!
Offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
prasetyadrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Model: 9800
Carrier: Telkomsel
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Depends on what sort of data you need to transfer. If it is contacts and calendar info, you can sync the old to Outlook then sync the new to Outlook and it should move over.

You can also use the Switch Device wizard.
What about the version of the Desktop Manager, does it affect the transfer? My DM software came with the 8320 and I've since upgraded my 8320 OS twice. I'm not sure if OS upgrade affects the DM and I'm betting that when I buy the 8900 it would come with the DM software also. Should I install the DM that comes with the 8900 or can I still use the existing DM?
Offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Just me
 
fonejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: iFone
OS: iOS4
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility
Posts: 2,292
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Some (including me) are reporting issues with backups using DM 5.x... but beyond that, any version between DM 4.3 and 4.7 should work fine. And many are reporting NO issues with 5.0, so that would work too. The version of Desktop Manager is completely independent of the OS version on the BlackBerry mobile device.

That said, I have been running DM 4.7 for quite a while without any incident whatsoever.
Offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 01:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
prasetyadrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Model: 9800
Carrier: Telkomsel
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
Some (including me) are reporting issues with backups using DM 5.x... but beyond that, any version between DM 4.3 and 4.7 should work fine. And many are reporting NO issues with 5.0, so that would work too. The version of Desktop Manager is completely independent of the OS version on the BlackBerry mobile device.

That said, I have been running DM 4.7 for quite a while without any incident whatsoever.
I checked my DM and it's v4.2.2.14. I guess I'd have to replace my DM then coz I can't find upgrade function for the DM, or did I miss it?
Offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Just me
 
fonejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: iFone
OS: iOS4
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility
Posts: 2,292
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Any version above 4.3 should work... but I would recommend v 4.7...

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
Offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 03:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
prasetyadrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Model: 9800
Carrier: Telkomsel
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
Any version above 4.3 should work... but I would recommend v 4.7...

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
Thanks, FJ!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.