BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 84
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

Many of my contacts have multiple phone numbers. But when in the phone app, I can't tell what each number is for.

On my Palm Treo, I was able to put a colon after a phone number and the colon & everything after was ignored. I used this to ID what each phone num was for.

Is there anyway to do something similar here?

TIA!
__________________
Don

Handspring Visor -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Palm Treo 650 on VZW -> Palm Treo 700p on VZW -> Blackberry Tour 9360 on VZW

Last edited by doni49 : 08-30-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 237 Times in 219 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni49 View Post
But when in the phone app, I can't tell what each number is for.
Sure you can. In the call log, before the phone number, it will read what type of number it is.
For example:

John Doe
Mobile: 123-456-7890

When dialing a number, if a contact has multiple numbers, when you select 'Call John Doe' it will prompt you to select which number you'd like to dial.
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org
Offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

You don't want to put the extra text in the phone number field.

I don't quite understand what you're looking for. If you are in the phone app, and looking at the call log, you should see the contact name and number of each recent call. Beside each number should be "work", "home", etc.
Offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
dumbnative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WF, TX
Model: 8330m
OS: 4.5.0.131
PIN: 3093D414
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 67
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (8830 thru Sprint)

In my call log it shows an (M) for mobile or a (W) for work after the number. Check ur cal log settings
Offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 84
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

A couple examples....

John Doe
Office 1: 609.555.1212
Office 2: 609.555.1213

When in the phone app making my call, need to know which is Office 1 & 2.

Louis & Donna Smith:
Home: 573.555.1212
Louis Cell: 573.333.3333
Donna Cell: 573.666.6666

When in the phone app, I can't remember which cell belongs to whom.
__________________
Don

Handspring Visor -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Palm Treo 650 on VZW -> Palm Treo 700p on VZW -> Blackberry Tour 9360 on VZW

Last edited by doni49 : 08-30-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

For second example, create separate contact entries for each.

That solves that one.
Offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 84
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

Yes, that would accomplish the task but not in a good way.

What happened to BB being so much more advanced than Palm?
__________________
Don

Handspring Visor -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Palm Treo 650 on VZW -> Palm Treo 700p on VZW -> Blackberry Tour 9360 on VZW
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
BBF Spam Killer Moderator
 
daphne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on a sunny beach
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.12
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 9,169
Post Thanks: 122
Thanked 146 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Why not just pick a system that you can remember? Always put the male's mobile number in the mobile field, and always put the female's mobile number in the pager field, or other field; or vice-versa. As long as you do it the same way each time, you should be able to remember which is which.
__________________
Report spam text messages to 7726
#BlackBerry by choice #BlacBerry 10 is here!
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 12:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

doni, what is not a good system, or not advanced, with creating contacts for individual people?

Seems you are restricting the devices built-in ability there, yourself.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 06:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 84
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders
doni, what is not a good system, or not advanced, with creating contacts for individual people?

Seems you are restricting the devices built-in ability there, yourself.
Because I prefer to treat my address book the same as my old paper phone book. It's called personal preference. A married couple shares one home phone and one address. The fact that they each have a cell phone shouldn't mean that they need to be separate contacts.

My Palm was advanced enough to let me use my phone the way *I* wanted to use *my* phone. That's what I meant by the comparison. So far EVERYTHING I've asked how to do (things I could do with my Palm) have resulted in "no--can't do that with BB".
__________________
Don

Handspring Visor -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Palm Treo 650 on VZW -> Palm Treo 700p on VZW -> Blackberry Tour 9360 on VZW
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
TXLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 1,067
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni49 View Post
So far EVERYTHING I've asked how to do (things I could do with my Palm) have resulted in "no--can't do that with BB".
Perhaps you need to return the BB and go back to the Palm. Or a paper phone book.
__________________
Personal: iPhone on AT&T
Work: BB 9650 on Sprint
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni49 View Post
My Palm was advanced enough to let me use my phone the way *I* wanted to use *my* phone. That's what I meant by the comparison. So far EVERYTHING I've asked how to do (things I could do with my Palm) have resulted in "no--can't do that with BB".
Doni, you know it's not a paper address book. Don't treat like one, or an old Palm.

Two people might share an address and home phone number, but they don't share a cell phone. Times are changing.

Really, I've seen this dozens of times before where people are accustomed more to "how my Palm did it", etc... The sooner you decide to use the BlackBerry for what it is and quit trying to compare it to your Palm, you'll enjoy the BlackBerry much better. Open your mind, begin to discover what ALL the BlackBerry can do. You'll be surprised and enjoy it much more.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Really, I've seen this dozens of times before where people are accustomed more to "how my Palm did it", etc... The sooner you decide to use the BlackBerry for what it is and quit trying to compare it to your Palm, you'll enjoy the BlackBerry much better. Open your mind, begin to discover what ALL the BlackBerry can do. You'll be surprised and enjoy it much more.
+1

As long as you're fighting against the current you're going to be unhappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni49 View Post
What happened to BB being so much more advanced than Palm?
Who said it was? They're completely different devices. Simply assuming that one is "more advanced" than the other seems to show a lack of understanding IMO. It sounds much like complaints such as "For $$$, it should XXX"...

Last edited by takeshi : 08-31-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
Trimix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: smelLA, caLAMEfornia
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.182
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria
Posts: 4,932
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

I agree with JSanders.

I came from a Palm device and loved their desktop manager a lot more than Outlook. Plus I was used to the Palm system of doing things. It was a slight adjustment switching over to the BlackBerry and Outlook but now its almost second nature and doesn't even bother me.

Just give it a chance. The other option is to put multiple contacts in the notes section. You can have all the text you want followed by : (xxx) xxx-xxxx. The only "downside" is that you can't dial such numbers from the homescreen, you would need to do it from the adress book.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
TequilaAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Model: 8100
OS: 4.2.1.107
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 16
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I can enter multiple phone numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni49 View Post
Wirelessly posted

Many of my contacts have multiple phone numbers. But when in the phone app, I can't tell what each number is for.

On my Palm Treo, I was able to put a colon after a phone number and the colon & everything after was ignored. I used this to ID what each phone num was for.

Is there anyway to do something similar here?

TIA!
On my BB 8100 pearl, I can enter 2 home #s, 2 work #s, 1 Mobile #, 1 fax #, 1 email address, home address, work address, web page url, 4 user IDs, and notes for each contact.

(The only thing I really could use is more email addresses for each contact, since most people have more than one email.)
__________________
YES, I DO BELIEVE THAT I AM WORTH IT!
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Tequilla, you can enter up to three email address for a contact.

Complete one email address, press Menu > Add email.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Just me
 
fonejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: iFone
OS: iOS4
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility
Posts: 2,292
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni49 View Post
Wirelessly posted



Because I prefer to treat my address book the same as my old paper phone book. It's called personal preference. A married couple shares one home phone and one address. The fact that they each have a cell phone shouldn't mean that they need to be separate contacts.

My Palm was advanced enough to let me use my phone the way *I* wanted to use *my* phone. That's what I meant by the comparison. So far EVERYTHING I've asked how to do (things I could do with my Palm) have resulted in "no--can't do that with BB".

The BB address book also allows for a home and work address. What do you do when the husband and wife live at the same HOME address but work at separate WORK addresses? (Hint: the answer is TWO entries in your address book - works every time.)
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 03:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Just me
 
fonejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: iFone
OS: iOS4
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility
Posts: 2,292
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaAddict View Post
On my BB 8100 pearl, I can enter 2 home #s, 2 work #s, 1 Mobile #, 1 fax #, 1 email address, home address, work address, web page url, 4 user IDs, and notes for each contact.

(The only thing I really could use is more email addresses for each contact, since most people have more than one email.)
You can have up to 3 email address for each address book entry.
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
TequilaAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Model: 8100
OS: 4.2.1.107
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 16
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

(Originally Posted by TequilaAddict
On my BB 8100 pearl, I can enter 2 home #s, 2 work #s, 1 Mobile #, 1 fax #, 1 email address, home address, work address, web page url, 4 user IDs, and notes for each contact.)


(The only thing I really could use is more email addresses for each contact, since most people have more than one email.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
You can have up to 3 email address for each address book entry.
I don't know if different BB phones have different Address book formats. My pearl only has 1 email line per contact.
__________________
YES, I DO BELIEVE THAT I AM WORTH IT!
Offline  
Old 08-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
TequilaAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Model: 8100
OS: 4.2.1.107
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 16
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Tequilla, you can enter up to three email address for a contact.

Complete one email address, press Menu > Add email.

WOW, thanks for that tip!!
***Buys JSanders a shot***
__________________
YES, I DO BELIEVE THAT I AM WORTH IT!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.