09-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
| | Editing contacts on PC -- Unicode (foreign language) characters and "categories"
Please Login to Remove!
The BlackBerry Bold is my first smartphone, and I'm trying to organize my contacts. I've imported over 500 from my old phone, where I had "categories" organized using letters of the alphabet as such:
etc (primitive, isn't it?). Now I need to edit 500 contacts to organize them into BlackBerry's "categories" feature and strip the first character from their names. Clearly I'd prefer to do this on a PC. However, I've run into a few holdups:
1) Half of these contacts are in Korean, and the CSV file format does not support unicode characters. Ergo if I export to CSV and open the file with excel, these characters are all replaced by question marks (???)
2) Outlook Express does support unicode characters; however, it does not (so far as I can figure out) allow me to edit "categories".
3) I found a tutorial to edit the address book using the desktop manager ( With a BlackBerry, how can I edit the Address Book? - Knowledge Base ), but step 5 (double clicking the address book) doesn't work for me.
This has proven to be rather frustrating. What are my options? So far as I can tell:
1) Set aside a few hours and edit the contacts one by one on the BlackBerry (please tell me there's another option).
2) Pay money for this 3rd party "ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter", when I'm not even sure if it will work well.
Is there another way that I'm overlooking?
Thanks in advance.