BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Vegas33139's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Here's one for you................

Please Login to Remove!

For some strange reason, on my home screen/display just below where it says "Blackberry", it normaly just say's 02.

Since yesterday it still say's 02 but now has phone numbers after it!! any ideas you good Blackberry folk.
__________________
Believe nothing - question everything - trust no-one.
Offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App5
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,035
Post Thanks: 54
Thanked 782 Times in 742 Posts
Default

Did you change a theme or anything like that?
__________________
-->>BB FAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter


If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Vegas33139's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nope.
__________________
Believe nothing - question everything - trust no-one.
Offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,813
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Connected to a new WiFi network?
Offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Vegas33139's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Connected to a new WiFi network?
Yes I did actually. Do you think that's the cause? If so, if I delete said network will it revert back?
__________________
Believe nothing - question everything - trust no-one.
Offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Vegas33139's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas33139 View Post
Yes I did actually. Do you think that's the cause? If so, if I delete said network will it revert back?
NB:I have just noticed - it's actually STD codes. i.e, 01752, 01579, 01822 etc etc - they are all local area codes. How strange. HELP!!
__________________
Believe nothing - question everything - trust no-one.
Offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: iPh6
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,813
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

It's the SSID of the wireless network you connected to.
Always appears next to the Mobile Network name.
Offline  
Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Vegas33139's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
It's the SSID of the wireless network you connected to.
Always appears next to the Mobile Network name.
Umm, actually it's not the SSID of my wireless newtwork I last connected to - it's local area codes for the UK.

This is really bugging me now - can anyon help?
__________________
Believe nothing - question everything - trust no-one.
Offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 04:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Vegas33139's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Fixed No worries, I have fixed it. For some reason, "Cell Broadcast" was on. I disabled this and the local area codes after my carrier name on the screen dissapeared.
__________________
Believe nothing - question everything - trust no-one.
Offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: 10.010219
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 8,344
Post Thanks: 43
Thanked 588 Times in 581 Posts
Default

So...you have been sending Spam... Nice. When the marketing companys find this can you imagine the number of messages that they will send,uncontrolled......

Info on Cell Broadcast

Cell Broadcast (CB) messaging is a mobile technology feature defined by the ETSIís GSM committee and is part of the GSM standard. It is also known as Short Message Service - Cell Broadcast (SMS-CB). Cell Broadcast is designed for simultaneous delivery of messages to multiple users in a specified area. Whereas the Short Message Service - Point to Point (SMS-PP) is a one-to-one and one-to-a-few service, Cell Broadcast is a one-to-many geographically focused messaging service. Cell Broadcast messaging is also supported by UMTS, as defined by 3GPP.

Cell Broadcast messaging was technologically demonstrated in Paris for the first time, in 1997. Some mobile operators use Cell Broadcast for communicating the area code of the antenna cell to the mobile user (via channel 050), for nationwide or citywide alerting, weather reports, mass messaging, location based news, etc. Not all operators have the Cell Broadcast messaging function activated in their network yet, and many handsets do not have the capability to support cell broadcast.

Cell Broadcast is a technology that allows a text or binary message to be defined and distributed to all mobile terminals connected to a set of cells. Whereas SMS messages are sent point-to-point, Cell Broadcast messages are sent point-to-area. This means that one Cell Broadcast message can reach a huge number of terminalsa at once. In other words, Cell Broadcast messages are directed to radio cells, rather than to a specific terminal. A Cell Broadcast message is an unconfirmed push service, meaning that the originator of the message does not know who has received the message, allowing for services based on anonymity. Mobile telephone user manuals describe how the user can switch the receiving of Cell Broadcast messages on or off.

Cell Broadcast messaging has a number of features that make it particularly appropriate for emergency purposes:

It is not as affected by traffic load; therefore, it may be usable during a disaster when load spikes tend to crash networks, as the 7 July 2005 London bombings showed. Another example was during the Tsunami catastrophe in Asia. Dialog GSM, an operator in Sri Lanka was able to provide ongoing emergency information to its subscribers, to warn of incoming waves, to give news updates, to direct people to supply and distribution centres, and even to arrange donation collections using Celltick's Cell Broadcast Center, based on Cell Broadcast Technology.
Cell broadcast is widely deployed since year 2008. In Europe, most handsets do have cell broadcast capability, and the major European operators have deployed the technology in their networks.

Cell Broadcast is a mobile technology that allows messages (up to 15 pages of up to 93 characters) to be broadcast to all mobile handsets and similar devices within a designated geographical area. The broadcast range can be varied, from a single cell to the entire network.
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks buttonÓ


9810 BES
Z10 on BES
9700 BIS
Offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Vegas33139's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
So...you have been sending Spam... Nice. When the marketing companys find this can you imagine the number of messages that they will send,uncontrolled......

Info on Cell Broadcast

Cell Broadcast (CB) messaging is a mobile technology feature defined by the ETSIís GSM committee and is part of the GSM standard. It is also known as Short Message Service - Cell Broadcast (SMS-CB). Cell Broadcast is designed for simultaneous delivery of messages to multiple users in a specified area. Whereas the Short Message Service - Point to Point (SMS-PP) is a one-to-one and one-to-a-few service, Cell Broadcast is a one-to-many geographically focused messaging service. Cell Broadcast messaging is also supported by UMTS, as defined by 3GPP.

Cell Broadcast messaging was technologically demonstrated in Paris for the first time, in 1997. Some mobile operators use Cell Broadcast for communicating the area code of the antenna cell to the mobile user (via channel 050), for nationwide or citywide alerting, weather reports, mass messaging, location based news, etc. Not all operators have the Cell Broadcast messaging function activated in their network yet, and many handsets do not have the capability to support cell broadcast.

Cell Broadcast is a technology that allows a text or binary message to be defined and distributed to all mobile terminals connected to a set of cells. Whereas SMS messages are sent point-to-point, Cell Broadcast messages are sent point-to-area. This means that one Cell Broadcast message can reach a huge number of terminalsa at once. In other words, Cell Broadcast messages are directed to radio cells, rather than to a specific terminal. A Cell Broadcast message is an unconfirmed push service, meaning that the originator of the message does not know who has received the message, allowing for services based on anonymity. Mobile telephone user manuals describe how the user can switch the receiving of Cell Broadcast messages on or off.

Cell Broadcast messaging has a number of features that make it particularly appropriate for emergency purposes:

It is not as affected by traffic load; therefore, it may be usable during a disaster when load spikes tend to crash networks, as the 7 July 2005 London bombings showed. Another example was during the Tsunami catastrophe in Asia. Dialog GSM, an operator in Sri Lanka was able to provide ongoing emergency information to its subscribers, to warn of incoming waves, to give news updates, to direct people to supply and distribution centres, and even to arrange donation collections using Celltick's Cell Broadcast Center, based on Cell Broadcast Technology.
Cell broadcast is widely deployed since year 2008. In Europe, most handsets do have cell broadcast capability, and the major European operators have deployed the technology in their networks.

Cell Broadcast is a mobile technology that allows messages (up to 15 pages of up to 93 characters) to be broadcast to all mobile handsets and similar devices within a designated geographical area. The broadcast range can be varied, from a single cell to the entire network.
Before you shoot your fat mouth off, I have/had absolutely no idea what the hell cell broadcast is/was.

I merely went through every concievable menu turning it on and off to see if it recitified my problem. I stumbled across this bloody cell broadcast thing, turned it off and hey presto!! my problem disappeared.

Is that ok with you like?
__________________
Believe nothing - question everything - trust no-one.
Offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: 10.010219
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 8,344
Post Thanks: 43
Thanked 588 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Fat mouth? Read the script Idiot. It tells what cell broadcast is not that youxxx8217;re a marketing company doing it. Why donxxx8217;t you go play with your Xbox before your parents take away all your toys.
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks buttonÓ


9810 BES
Z10 on BES
9700 BIS
Offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Vegas33139's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Fat mouth? Read the script Idiot. It tells what cell broadcast is not that youíre a marketing company doing it. Why donít you go play with your Xbox before your parents take away all your toys.
No, fat-mouth, you re-read your insinuative first paragraph. Try engaging your other brain cell before your next retort. My god, do you take your shoes and socks off to count past 10.

tsk tsk - kids today eh.
__________________
Believe nothing - question everything - trust no-one.
Offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
iPhone Mod!
 
zerog46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a House
Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold
Posts: 6,753
Post Thanks: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Closed.
__________________
Life is not holding a good hand. Life is playing a poor hand well.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.