01-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: LaBrea tarpits, Los Angeles
Carrier: TMO US
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. It worked... but with adjustments.
1. I backed up the Blackberry using the Desktop Manager.
2. Using the Advanced option in the Backups, I deleted the Folders database on the Blackberry.
3. The crowd of old folders disappeared on the Blackberry.
But... Oops! The BES Desktop folders disappeared, too. All the messages remained, however. So I started messing around:
1. Reconciling, powering off/on, and a battery-pull restart with reconcile didn't seem to do it.
2. Playing with the Desktop Manager section on Email Settings on Folder Redirection (I redirect the Inbox and its many but not all of its subfolders along with Junk Mail and Sent Items) didn't seem to fix it. I checked the reconiliation options in the Desktop Manager so Folders that weren't previously redirected started redirection and stopped redirection of others.
3. Then, on the Blackberry, I went to a specific Desktop message in the Inbox and did the File command. A full list of BES Desktop folders showed up, so I moved (or "Filed") the message in a specific Inbox subfolder. Then ALL the desktop folders showed up in the View Folders menu item of the Message section.
Also, after Step 3, the full list of Folders now shows on the Blackberry in the Messages section under Options/ Emails Settings / Folder Redirection (off Blackberry Menu key). It may have been there after Step 2 or 1, but I didn't find that item on the Blackberry menu until after Step 3.
So I got the key folders back. I think it took a combination of step 2 with step 3. Or maybe I was just trying too many things too quickly. And the dozen pesky pairs of old BIS Inbox/Spam folder pairs are GONE.
Note: PIN messages don't seem to have had their own separate Folder after about OS 4.3. I've been able to find them by using the Search command inside the Messages folder (from inside the Messages Folder, hit Menu/ Search and select PIN as Type of message).
Hopefully these notes might help the next person to try this.