BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Boston area
Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 416
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default AT&T data roaming in Turkey

Please Login to Remove!

I'm going to be in Turkey for a week and was looking at data roaming options (voice isn't an issue). Now that AT&T has segmented their data roaming plans into tiers, I noticed that the various international plans do not include Turkey (and some others). Is this true for the Unlimited ~ $69 plan as well, or does it include the excluded countries on the tiered plans?

Also has AT&T changed the terms on the unlimited plan from the one year commitment that they used to have? The commitment is no longer footnoted on their website.

Thanks folks....
__________________
z10 on AT&T (plus an HTC One X)
Offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

As far as I can tell, there is no $69.99 unlimited international data roaming package. You can only purchase megabyte packs that are nowhere near a bargain.

AT&T International | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

That said, Turkey is not in the "discounted" zone.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Boston area
Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 416
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

There is indeed a 69.95 unlimited package for corporate accounts that only shows up for corporate Enterprise users. See:
Available Data Rate Plans | AT&T wireless services

They couldn't however, tell me about either Turkey coverage inclusion or whether it is still a one year commitment. Seems to be a lot of confusion on their part
__________________
z10 on AT&T (plus an HTC One X)
Offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
There is indeed a 69.95 unlimited package for corporate accounts that only shows up for corporate Enterprise users. See:
Available Data Rate Plans | AT&T wireless services

They couldn't however, tell me about either Turkey coverage inclusion or whether it is still a one year commitment. Seems to be a lot of confusion on their part
Interesting. I was an AT&T Enterprise user until a few weeks ago and didn't have that option, hence why I went back to T-Mobile.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Boston area
Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 416
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

AT&T seems to be very confused over all of these plans. It was really easy prior to the iPhone. You paid for unlimited domestic BES use or unlimited worldwide data roaming. Most BB users were email centric and used the Browser for limited searching and data access. It was easy for AT&T (or any carrier) to model data usage on a per BB basis. I would expect it didn't vary much month to month as email is compressed and a very low bandwidth segement any way.

The Iphones chew data like crazy (I also have a 3Gs on Exchange). Using an iPhone internationally blew the usage models to hell and forced AT&T to allocate roaming based on data buckets. AT&T was getting screwed with Iphone users using unlimited non domestic data, and Iphone users were in rebellion when they saw the obscene roaming charges. A few minutes on Utube can use as much bandwidth as a weeks worth of BB email.

Now the BB is being lumped in with the iPhone for non domestic roaming. As BB users don't consume anywhere near as much data as Iphone users, we are getting the short end of the straw ;)
__________________
z10 on AT&T (plus an HTC One X)
Offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
AT&T seems to be very confused over all of these plans. It was really easy prior to the iPhone. You paid for unlimited domestic BES use or unlimited worldwide data roaming. Most BB users were email centric and used the Browser for limited searching and data access. It was easy for AT&T (or any carrier) to model data usage on a per BB basis. I would expect it didn't vary much month to month as email is compressed and a very low bandwidth segement any way.

The Iphones chew data like crazy (I also have a 3Gs on Exchange). Using an iPhone internationally blew the usage models to hell and forced AT&T to allocate roaming based on data buckets. AT&T was getting screwed with Iphone users using unlimited non domestic data, and Iphone users were in rebellion when they saw the obscene roaming charges. A few minutes on Utube can use as much bandwidth as a weeks worth of BB email.

Now the BB is being lumped in with the iPhone for non domestic roaming. As BB users don't consume anywhere near as much data as Iphone users, we are getting the short end of the straw ;)
I definitely understand that.

T-Mobile has international data down pat. Only BlackBerry devices can activate an unlimited international package. If you take your SIM out and put it in a different device, you get charged at the per-kb roaming rate. The way they differentiate BB traffic from others is by APN. Traffic that goes through the blackberry.net APN is not charged, but traffic that goes through epc.tmobile.com is. I have protected myself by disabling TCP/IP, and everything that I use on my BB, including Facebook and Slacker, still work perfectly.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Boston area
Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 416
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I would switch to Tmobile in a heartbeat but one little problem. It doesn't work in my house, or my office west of Boston :(.

I have no problem getting one of the data buckets for international travel, but still trying to find out if I'm SOL in Turkey as I'll be there for close to a week and it looks like no matter what plan I get, it excludes Turkey and some other countries. Looks like it will be WIFI only data while I'm there...
__________________
z10 on AT&T (plus an HTC One X)
Offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
I would switch to Tmobile in a heartbeat but one little problem. It doesn't work in my house, or my office west of Boston :(.

I have no problem getting one of the data buckets for international travel, but still trying to find out if I'm SOL in Turkey as I'll be there for close to a week and it looks like no matter what plan I get, it excludes Turkey and some other countries. Looks like it will be WIFI only data while I'm there...
Ah. That sucks.

You'll still be able to data roam there, but it will be at AT&T's ridiculous per-mb rate of $20/mb.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Boston area
Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 416
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

If I want to live on the edge I could get the unlimited BB International plan and then raise hell with AT&T if they bill me for Turkey. If you look at the url I posted, none of the footnotes show any country exclusions for that plan like they do for the data buckets.

Given the number of business and Government travelers on these forums, there must be someone on AT&T that has traveled to Turkey!
__________________
z10 on AT&T (plus an HTC One X)
Offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
If I want to live on the edge I could get the unlimited BB International plan and then raise hell with AT&T if they bill me for Turkey. If you look at the url I posted, none of the footnotes show any country exclusions for that plan like they do for the data buckets.

Given the number of business and Government travelers on these forums, there must be someone on AT&T that has traveled to Turkey!
There are, but almost none of us have ever seen the bills for our corporate phones. I know I never did at my last company, and didn't really care what I was being charged. Don't get me wrong, I didn't abuse it, but I definitely used it.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Boston area
Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 416
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Oh right, good point! Unfortunately, I pay my own mobile charges and expense back anything I incur for International access when I travel. My company has well north of 15k BB users with many on AT&T. Time to track down our corporate liaison to AT&T and get some answers.
__________________
z10 on AT&T (plus an HTC One X)
Offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Boston area
Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 416
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Interesting. I was an AT&T Enterprise user until a few weeks ago and didn't have that option, hence why I went back to T-Mobile.
Finally have a definitive answer from AT&T via our corporate AT&T team. There is a $64.95 (prior to discounts) unlimited international data roaming plan (for both iPhone and BB) that is available to corporate customers only. The plan has no country exclusions and is truly unlimited world wide. The downside is that it requires a 12 month contract with a termination fee if you remove the plan (although I was told that I may be able to negotiate my way out of it....no promises implied).
__________________
z10 on AT&T (plus an HTC One X)
Offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
Finally have a definitive answer from AT&T via our corporate AT&T team. There is a $64.95 (prior to discounts) unlimited international data roaming plan (for both iPhone and BB) that is available to corporate customers only. The plan has no country exclusions and is truly unlimited world wide. The downside is that it requires a 12 month contract with a termination fee if you remove the plan (although I was told that I may be able to negotiate my way out of it....no promises implied).
Fantastic information! I knew there was a contract hitch, but that's ok for people that travel internationally frequently or stay out for a long time.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 02-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsmith View Post
A phone company trying to get every last dime out of its customer base? Gasp! Say it isnít so! Hereís an idea. Rent a phone (or a SIM card) when you travel over seas, and set up call forwarding. You get all your calls, and only pay for service what the locals pay - usually pennies by comparison.
That's a really dumb idea. If you do that, all calls that are forwarded are charged at international rates that cost about the same as the roaming rates. Further, you won't get BlackBerry service on prepaid service in most countries.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.