BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 139
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Blackberry Service in Germany?

Please Login to Remove!

I will be studying in Germany for about a year, and have my blackberry unlocked. Are there carriers in Germany that have BBData service so i can surf the web and (more importantly) use BBMessenger?
Offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
djm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4,632
Post Thanks: 28
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

BlackBerry - PDA Smartphones, Handy & Organizer - BlackBerry DE
Offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
tsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Others run out when we run in
Model: Z10
OS: 10.010219
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 8,113
Post Thanks: 38
Thanked 555 Times in 550 Posts
Default

T-Mobile and ATT but others may be local. I would check prices.
__________________
If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button


9810 BES
Z10 on BES
9700 BIS
Offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

All major German providers (Vodafone, O2, T-Mobile) offer BB service, but you will need to sign a contract with them, which you may not be able to do as a student.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.

Last edited by dc/dc : 01-31-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Offline  
Old 02-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 139
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
All major German providers (Vodafone, O2, T-Mobile) offer BB service, but you will need to sign a contract with them, which you may not be able to do as a student.
Do you say that because I wouldn't be there long enough? I could simply not let them know I'm a student...

But yeah, I'll only be there for about 6 months, and I assume I can't sign up for a BBData plan for that amount of time? (I'd have to get a year, or like the US a 2 year minimum plan)...

Hmm, and I need a BBData service to use BBMessenger, don't I?
Offline  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
djm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4,632
Post Thanks: 28
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Frankly, for 6 months I'd just pay the slightly higher US fees for international data access, and then maybe get a local SIM card for telephone services and text messages. PITA to swap SIMS, but...

O2 might let you do Pay as You Go.
Offline  
Old 02-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboarder873 View Post
Do you say that because I wouldn't be there long enough? I could simply not let them know I'm a student...

But yeah, I'll only be there for about 6 months, and I assume I can't sign up for a BBData plan for that amount of time? (I'd have to get a year, or like the US a 2 year minimum plan)...

Hmm, and I need a BBData service to use BBMessenger, don't I?
No, I say that because you can't sign contracts there without being able to prove residence, which you won't be able to do as a student in a rental property or dormitory.

Yes, you need a BB data plan if you want to use BB Messenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Frankly, for 6 months I'd just pay the slightly higher US fees for international data access, and then maybe get a local SIM card for telephone services and text messages. PITA to swap SIMS, but...

O2 might let you do Pay as You Go.
I agree with you, but the best thing to do is have a second unlocked phone for the local SIM.

Also, O2 does not offer prepaid BB service unfortunately.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.