BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 04:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Has anyone heard of BBinSYNC? Looks interesting...

Please Login to Remove!

Has any one heard of these guys. Their website seems a little buggy, but this is probably because they are not yet ready for launch.

They seem to be offering BES-style services for 50pa, and as far as I can see there is no need to install heavy amounts of files etc. (BES Express etc.) onto the Exchange Server, which is frankly quite amazing. I am not sure how they expect this to work, but they claim it is utilising Activesync, which I believe is how the iPhone manages to sync so simply with Exchange.

If anyone else has heard about this I would love to know their thoughts.

www.bbinsync.co.uk
Offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

I think you own this company, and if you wish you advertise, you need to pay to be a forum sponsor.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I think you own this company, and if you wish you advertise, you need to pay to be a forum sponsor.
I think you'll find that I don't own this company. I am a solicitor based in Guildford, Surrey, and have absolutely no connection whatsoever to them. I simply found them on Google when searching for alternatives to BES (which is expensive and because our IT chap appears to be incapable of installing BES Express), but could find nothing about them on the forum - hence I asked the question. I take it from your response, however, that the answer is "no".
Offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard-moore View Post
I think you'll find that I don't own this company. I am a solicitor based in Guildford, Surrey, and have absolutely no connection whatsoever to them. I simply found them on Google when searching for alternatives to BES (which is expensive and because our IT chap appears to be incapable of installing BES Express), but could find nothing about them on the forum - hence I asked the question. I take it from your response, however, that the answer is "no".
How would I find that? Your post matched the pattern of a person advertising whilst attempting to conceal their involvement with the company mentioned and I saw no reason to believe otherwise.

I apologize if I have you wrong, but my suspicion is not unfounded based on past experience.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
How would I find that? Your post matched the pattern of a person advertising whilst attempting to conceal their involvement with the company mentioned and I saw no reason to believe otherwise.

I apologize if I have you wrong, but my suspicion is not unfounded based on past experience.
Fair enough, but I put "sync outlook with blackberry" into Google, and the top link (albeit a paid adwords link) was for BBinSync. Clicking on the advert did not work, but I typed BBinSync - Keep your BlackBerry Email, Calendar, and Contacts always in sync into my address bar and hey presto - the site appears, though not too much information about how it all looks to work. I just wondered if anyone had heard anything more about this, and whether it was worth following up.

Also, if anyone has other ideas of how to sync wirelessly between Outlook and BB, I would love to know.
Offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
jsconyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In a van down by the river.
Model: NOTE2
OS: 4.1
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 15,071
Post Thanks: 139
Thanked 140 Times in 121 Posts
Default

There are other Hosted-BES sites. Do a search for Hosted BES.
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
When you take things for granted, the things you are granted, get taken.
Even a mosquito doesn't get a pat on the back until it starts to work.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I realise that there are other 'hosted' services available, but the more exciting thing (as far as I can tell) about this one is that it does not appear to be a hosted BES service.

The issue that I (and I imagine many, many people) have is:

1. That my Blackberry is owned by me.

2. That my Company uses Exchange Server but does not want to pay for BES.

3. Because my company's Exchange Server is hosted internally, it is pointless looking up hosted BES solutions, because there will be no way to sync our Exchange with the hosted solution.

Therefore, some sort of solution whereby I can get contacts, calendars and emails to sync remotely would be great, as it is frankly useless having to come into the office, connect to a USB and use Desktop Manager to do the syncing for me.
Offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
jsconyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In a van down by the river.
Model: NOTE2
OS: 4.1
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 15,071
Post Thanks: 139
Thanked 140 Times in 121 Posts
Default

I just looked at the site.

It lists that it does not need BIS or BES. However, you will need some form of data plan, otherwise you will rack up some hefty bills using data to sync with no plan.

My opinion, have your current admin install BESX. It's free and can do what you want. I understand you say he's incapable of doing so, but there's plenty of documentation out there on how to install it.
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
When you take things for granted, the things you are granted, get taken.
Even a mosquito doesn't get a pat on the back until it starts to work.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I take your point, but I - like I suspect most people with a Blackbery - have a data plan already, and have personal email accounts that I use on the Blackberry in addition to my Exchange email / calendar / contacts account.

Obviously BESX would be my preferred solution, but being a work server, and with many of my senior partners shunning mobile phones let alone something as 'ghastly' as always-on email, I think there may be some reticence to go the way of BESX. This, on the other hand, is something that I could simply put an expense form in for, and if it does all that it claims to be able to do, would solve all of my problems.

The only issue, however, is that I can find very little out about it, and for all their placements on Google, it does not seem to be a well-worked out website with lots of broken links and missing images - hardly something to instill confidence in an end product.
Offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
jsconyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In a van down by the river.
Model: NOTE2
OS: 4.1
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 15,071
Post Thanks: 139
Thanked 140 Times in 121 Posts
Default

I agree with you on the lack of confidence in the product. A lot of that may be due to the fact that it's not released yet.

More information would be nice on this product. I am not sure how this product connects to your Exchange server or if your company will be okay with an outside source connecting to their Exchange server. You may hit a brick wall there as well.
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
When you take things for granted, the things you are granted, get taken.
Even a mosquito doesn't get a pat on the back until it starts to work.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

That's a really good point, and not one that I had thought about. However, if the iPhone can get access through to the Exchange Server (and one of our staff members does have it) then I cannot see why a Blackberry should be any different.
Offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
jsconyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In a van down by the river.
Model: NOTE2
OS: 4.1
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 15,071
Post Thanks: 139
Thanked 140 Times in 121 Posts
Default

The iPhone and BlackBerry are very different. The iPhone uses ActiveSync, as does Windows Mobile, the BlackBerry doesn't. This is where BES comes into play.
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
When you take things for granted, the things you are granted, get taken.
Even a mosquito doesn't get a pat on the back until it starts to work.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Offline  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
The iPhone and BlackBerry are very different. The iPhone uses ActiveSync, as does Windows Mobile, the BlackBerry doesn't. This is where BES comes into play.
The only thing is that this new service claims to use ActiveSync also, which would perhaps show why it can work without BES or BIS.
Offline  
Old 03-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&T
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

im looking for the opposite: I want to connect my WM device to the BES. This is belcause my work only supports BES and does NOT support exchange. Anyone know how I can do this?

(going a little deeper, I did manage to get it to work using BBConnect for WM on my touch pro 2, but for some reason noone who has an HD2 can get it to work, so im searching for an alternative)
Offline  
Old 03-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekerbuddyeker View Post
im looking for the opposite: I want to connect my WM device to the BES. This is belcause my work only supports BES and does NOT support exchange. Anyone know how I can do this?

(going a little deeper, I did manage to get it to work using BBConnect for WM on my touch pro 2, but for some reason noone who has an HD2 can get it to work, so im searching for an alternative)
It is not proper forum etiquette to post an unrelated item in another person's thread.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.