BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7290
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Release of Piconews 2.0

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everybody!

I've just noticed the release of a new version of Piconews (previously BBnews) : see http://www.piconews.com

Piconews is a news reader for different platforms, including Blackberry. News items are pushed to your device in realtime, and you can read them when you want.

This software is free and really nice , and far better than newsclip (which costs $30/year!!!)

Download link
Offline  
Old 12-21-2005, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
CanuckMakem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Model: 8100
PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 229
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Loaded and it won't connect. Sent a support email...
__________________
Blackberry Pearl 8100 (RED) - Rogers Wireless
Offline  
Old 12-22-2005, 05:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Durham, NC
Model: 8700c
Posts: 105
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Very nice! I've notice a graphical glitch on my 8700c. When scrolling down to the next page, the text gets all messed up (like it didn't refresh). Scrolling back up fixes it. But I'm impressed anyway. It's fast and has been easy to figure out so far.
__________________
Computer: Powerbook G4 12"
PIN: 2038FAC2
Offline  
Old 12-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
KonTiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ, USA
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Installed and it works as good as ever.
__________________
BB Tour 9650


Running OS 6.0.0.524
Offline  
Old 12-22-2005, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
CanuckMakem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Model: 8100
PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 229
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wonder if I'm unable to use this due to my network restrictions? Still not heard back from Piconews.
__________________
Blackberry Pearl 8100 (RED) - Rogers Wireless
Offline  
Old 12-22-2005, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Posts: 3,309
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think Bell and Telus have blocked the ports that allow third party apps to communicate via their netwoks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckMakem
Loaded and it won't connect. Sent a support email...
Offline  
Old 12-22-2005, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Missouri
Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 173
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just installed this and it's working great. However, I bet there's a lot of data being transferred.

Just to doublecheck ... I'm n ot going to need a second mortgage to pay my next bill ... right? I have a truly unlimited (Cingular) data plan.

Many thanks.
Offline  
Old 12-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
CanuckMakem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Model: 8100
PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 229
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
I think Bell and Telus have blocked the ports that allow third party apps to communicate via their netwoks.
Yes they have... my own little BB nightmare!! It sucks... royally.
__________________
Blackberry Pearl 8100 (RED) - Rogers Wireless
Offline  
Old 12-22-2005, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
koleary19067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Model: STORM
OS: 4.7.0.151
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON
Posts: 2,089
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I downloaded it and it is great. Love it so far.
__________________
STORM (9530)
Offline  
Old 12-22-2005, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
KonTiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ, USA
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckMakem
Yes they have... my own little BB nightmare!! It sucks... royally.
You could try to find out if Telus has any ports open and find out from the tech support at Piconews if they have an alternate port some software will have alternates or allow you to change it to one that you can use, so if Telus lets you know if there are any ports that are open you may have a shot. A good example I believe is Ramble.
__________________
BB Tour 9650


Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki : 12-24-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Offline  
Old 12-22-2005, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7290
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuberry
I just installed this and it's working great. However, I bet there's a lot of data being transferred.

Just to doublecheck ... I'm n ot going to need a second mortgage to pay my next bill ... right? I have a truly unlimited (Cingular) data plan.

Many thanks.
It depends on the number of feeds you subscribed to, and if they broadcast a lot of news or not... As for me, my operator charges me with around one buck per month. This is totally acceptable when you see how addictive this software is!
Offline  
Old 12-24-2005, 12:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Waterloo: Home of RIM
Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Posts: 1,008
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Installed it over the air and it works great on my 7250 on Bell Mobility (with BES).

This software is better than many subscription services, IMO. The interface is clean and intuitive, and includes battery and signal meter views at the top. This looks like a keeper...
Offline  
Old 12-24-2005, 10:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 7290
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yann
Hi everybody!



This software is free and really nice , and far better than newsclip (which costs $30/year!!!)

[/url]
You say it is better than Newsclip. I am evaluating both at the minute and I love the Piconews interface; however, Newsclip has rich text and images. Piconews renders that as raw html. This is a deal breaker for me (yeah free but I mean in terms of usability).

So far Newsclip is the best RSS reader I have tried.
Offline  
Old 12-24-2005, 11:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
KonTiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ, USA
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcm
You say it is better than Newsclip. I am evaluating both at the minute and I love the Piconews interface; however, Newsclip has rich text and images. Piconews renders that as raw html. This is a deal breaker for me (yeah free but I mean in terms of usability).

So far Newsclip is the best RSS reader I have tried.
I use an news reader on my BB for news on the fly when I have no access to my computer or television. Rich text and images are not essential at that time, to pay money to see glitz its fine if that is what you like but to say it is the best because it has them is not. Pico news is extremely user friendly, sets up nicely and easy, allows you to add your own, and it is free. The people that put it out ought to be commended after all this world sees enough commercialism, Thank You BlackTouch, I appreciate your efforts and cudos for a job well done.
__________________
BB Tour 9650


Running OS 6.0.0.524
Offline  
Old 12-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
SMorganPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorktown, VA
Model: 8330
OS: v4.5.0.77
PIN: 31C7D62A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 477
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm getting a connection refused error
__________________
BlackberryFAQ.com
BBF Reviews

Feel free to add me to BB Messenger!
Offline  
Old 12-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
koleary19067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Model: STORM
OS: 4.7.0.151
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON
Posts: 2,089
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have been getting that error on and off. No problems today but yesterday i was getting that error message
__________________
STORM (9530)
Offline  
Old 12-24-2005, 01:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 7290
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
I use an news reader on my BB for news on the fly when I have no access to my computer or television. Rich text and images are not essential at that time, to pay money to see glitz its fine if that is what you like but to say it is the best because it has them is not. Pico news is extremely user friendly, sets up nicely and easy, allows you to add your own, and it is free. The people that put it out ought to be commended after all this world sees enough commercialism, Thank You BlackTouch, I appreciate your efforts and cudos for a job well done.
The problem is that the common feeds like NYT, Google News, Engadget, BlackberryCool all provide rich text and so the output is foobar in Pico. Unless I am missing some preference in the App. I don't care for Rich Text it myself, so I'm not trying to change your opinion, but if this is the way RSS is going I would have thought any reader worthy of consideration would need to support it.

The reason I like it and i have tried litenews and freenews too -- so that's my basis of comparison here -- is that it is reliable (freenews locked my system after using it for a couple of days), has helpful keyboard shortcuts and has user friendly menus (like you can delete all articles whether read or not -- this is a 2 step process in Pico) and special views.

Last edited by garymcm : 12-24-2005 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts
Offline  
Old 12-27-2005, 05:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7290
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcm
You say it is better than Newsclip. I am evaluating both at the minute and I love the Piconews interface; however, Newsclip has rich text and images. Piconews renders that as raw html. This is a deal breaker for me (yeah free but I mean in terms of usability).

So far Newsclip is the best RSS reader I have tried.
I had the same problem with one of my favorite feeds. I wrote an email to [email address] and they improved their HTML filter. The software team said me a new version was being prepared: it should include rich text and images support. However, none of my feeds include images for now, so that's not a problem for me at the moment...!

yann
Offline  
Old 12-27-2005, 04:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 7290
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorganPhoto
I'm getting a connection refused error
Did you use the "email support" integrated function? A friend of mine had the same problem because his BB wasn't Internet-aware. A little setting given by the support allowed him to go ahead and to enjoy pico.
Offline  
Old 12-29-2005, 08:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Ganksta187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Newport NC
Model: 8700
Carrier: att
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I installed it and subscribed to a few feeds. But i cant connect, to accept the terms and conditions. My APN is set up correctly. Gives me a connection refused error. Anyone have any suggestions?
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.