BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/)
-   -   What is a data plan? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/226238-what-data-plan.html)

abz1 05-10-2010 04:58 PM

What is a data plan?
 
Hi, I want to know what is a data plan? apprantly I'll need it for my blackberry 8520... does it cost? if so how much? and how do I get it?

penguin3107 05-10-2010 05:03 PM

It's what allows you to use the data features of your BlackBerry. (Email, Web browsing, BlackBerry Messenger, PIN messaging, social media apps, etc.)
Yes, it costs about 30 per month for the average user.
You'd call your wireless carrier (..) and ask them to add it to your account.

TXLady 05-10-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abz1 (Post 1605161)
Hi, I want to know what is a data plan? apprantly I'll need it for my blackberry 8520... does it cost? if so how much? and how do I get it?

Read this FAQ: What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

Of course it costs. You get one by contacting your carrier. How much is dependent upon who your carrier is and since you didn't fill out all that info on your profile, we don't even know what country you are in, let alone what carrier.

Dubdub 05-10-2010 05:05 PM

Maybe this will explain it:

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

A BB data plan connects you BB to your carrier and to RIM for data traffic, i.e. Internet, email, etc.

You get it from your cell carrier and please update your profile to add the name of your cell service.

The cost depends on the carrier so you need to check with them and it also differs by country so since we don't know where you are, we cannot answer accurately.

abz1 05-10-2010 05:09 PM

I am in United Kingdom mate. and i didnt know what that carrier is as i havent recieved BB yet,.. also i didnt know it will cost upto 30 a month :O

fonejunkie 05-10-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abz1 (Post 1605173)
I am in United Kingdom mate. and i didnt know what that carrier is as i havent recieved BB yet,.. also i didnt know it will cost upto 30 a month :O

Who did you get the BlackBerry from? O2? Vodaphone? Orange? Whomever is providing your VOICE service will also provide your DATA service... and the cost may vary, but it's NOT 30, it's about 30 USD in the US... the current exchange rate would equate to about 20... (or about xxx8364;23.33)

abz1 05-10-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonejunkie (Post 1605179)
Who did you get the BlackBerry from? O2? Vodaphone? Orange? Whomever is providing your VOICE service will also provide your DATA service... and the cost may vary, but it's NOT 30, it's about 30 USD in the US... the current exchange rate would equate to about 20... (or about 23.33)

I've purchased it second hand off eBay...
and im on o2 pay as you go.
also I heard that there is a 5 one that somebodys friend was doing is this a reasonable quote at 5 a month or will that never be as cheap as that?

fonejunkie 05-10-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abz1 (Post 1605182)
I've purchased it second hand off eBay...
and im on o2 pay as you go.
also I heard that there is a 5 one that somebodys friend was doing is this a reasonable quote at 5 a month or will that never be as cheap as that?

I can't answer that... the way things are done differ between countries (and continents), so all I can suggest is that you contact O2 and see what they say. Since you're on a pay as you go account, you don't have a contract, and can probably switch between carriers pretty easily... (so long as your phone does not have a subsidy lock in place)...

abz1 05-10-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonejunkie (Post 1605190)
I can't answer that... the way things are done differ between countries (and continents), so all I can suggest is that you contact O2 and see what they say. Since you're on a pay as you go account, you don't have a contract, and can probably switch between carriers pretty easily... (so long as your phone does not have a subsidy lock in place)...


Sorry but what do you mean by a carrier? and "subsidy lock in place"?
sorry about it im just new to this stuff...

Motorcycle Mama 05-10-2010 05:50 PM

Your "carrier" is the company with which you have your phone service. O2, Orange, TMobile, etc are 'carriers'.

O2 does NOT have BlackBerry Data on PayGo. You would need to check out Orange for that or get a contract with O2.

fonejunkie 05-10-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abz1 (Post 1605191)
Sorry but what do you mean by a carrier? and "subsidy lock in place"?
sorry about it im just new to this stuff...

A "subsidy lock" is a software lock on a GSM phone, restricting its use to the carrier/service provider who originally sold the phone. In the US, it is common for the two major GSM providers to "lock" their phones to their networks. The companies will often issue the "unlock codes" for free with a valid reason, when asked... and there are other companies who provide those codes for a fee.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.