BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Why is Blackberry Better?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok I have spent a day with the 9700 now and 6 months with a 8320 previously and am wondering what it is about BB you guys are so attracted to? I have an open mind to different OS and still at this point can not see an advantage to BB other than the battery life to Android.

Help me understand. What i mean is tell me why the BB works better for you. I have been comparing different features and at this point am not seeing the benefit.

I have a 9700 sitting in front of me that maybe going back. I bought it because of a hard keyboard but now sitting next to my N1 and Vibrant I am challenged to see the benefit other than a great battery life and UMA.
__________________
BB Curve 9300
Galaxy Tab
Offline  
Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Appleinator
 
Dubdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Model: App6+
OS: AJBR549
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Posts: 20,038
Post Thanks: 52
Thanked 777 Times in 737 Posts
Default

If you can't see the benefit for yourself, then you can't really expect us to change your mind, can you?

I like it for the utility - phone, calendar, email, web. It is a business device and it does what I want and need it to do. The OS is solid. It is secure enough for me. I don't need all of the bells and whistles that many consumerists seem to need.
__________________
-->>BB FAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter


If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Offline  
Old 09-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am not asking to change my mind, I am asking for reasons why people like BB.

Here is what i think. BB users like BB for a few reasons:

*They are comfortable with the OS and do not like change.
*They do not want to jump on the "Android" or "iPhone" bandwagon and be like the others.
*They are forced to use BB by their company and convince themselves BB is the best since there is no choice.
*They have never really used a iPhone or Android device for more than 10 minutes.
* They simply are trying to support the BB community even if iPhone or Android is better and convince themselves otherwise.

I am open minded and want to hear legitimate reasons why BB is a better OS. I am here with three phones (iPhone, Android BB) in front of mer and cant see it.

Dubdub, you speak of bells and whistles. If being more efficient, easier to read and navigate with more information in one place is "bells and whistles" then that is what I am looking for.

I am not bashing BB, BB is a great OS I just hesitate when people are die hard BB fans ans say its the best but do not give detailed examples why.
__________________
BB Curve 9300
Galaxy Tab
Offline  
Old 09-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 235 Times in 218 Posts
Default

BES. Case closed. ;)
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org
Offline  
Old 09-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
BES. Case closed. ;)

That goes under the:
"They are forced to use BB by their company and convince themselves BB is the best since there is no choice."
Category.
__________________
BB Curve 9300
Galaxy Tab
Offline  
Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
djm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4,659
Post Thanks: 37
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Maybe it does. It also goes under the heading of rock solid email and exquisite security -- which I don't believe you consider a valid category.

So, that tells us why you don't "get it." The rules that RIM plays by are rules you do not comprehend.
Offline  
Old 09-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Maybe it does. It also goes under the heading of rock solid email and exquisite security -- which I don't believe you consider a valid category.

So, that tells us why you don't "get it." The rules that RIM plays by are rules you do not comprehend.
I hope you don't have a gmail, yahoo, aol or hotmail account. If you do, what you said is a contradiction.
__________________
BB Curve 9300
Galaxy Tab
Offline  
Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
TXLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 1,067
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMouth View Post
I am not asking to change my mind, I am asking for reasons why people like BB.

Here is what i think. BB users like BB for a few reasons:

*They are comfortable with the OS and do not like change.
*They do not want to jump on the "Android" or "iPhone" bandwagon and be like the others.
*They are forced to use BB by their company and convince themselves BB is the best since there is no choice.
*They have never really used a iPhone or Android device for more than 10 minutes.
* They simply are trying to support the BB community even if iPhone or Android is better and convince themselves otherwise.

I am open minded and want to hear legitimate reasons why BB is a better OS. I am here with three phones (iPhone, Android BB) in front of mer and cant see it.

Dubdub, you speak of bells and whistles. If being more efficient, easier to read and navigate with more information in one place is "bells and whistles" then that is what I am looking for.

I am not bashing BB, BB is a great OS I just hesitate when people are die hard BB fans ans say its the best but do not give detailed examples why.
Oh good grief. You have already decided that BB users are either afraid of change or forced to use it but claim to be open minded. You are so full of crap.

Just face it, ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL. and there is absolutely no reason it should. Why do some people like one car and others like another? Personal preference is enough reason. I can be a die hard fan but don't have to expain it. If someone telling you that for them, the BB is best because of the way it handles email and PIM functions, then you shoot that down as not a good enough reason.

If you don't see that BB is a better phone FOR YOU, then take it back now. Don't ask us to change your mind. Use what ever you want to use.

For what it's worth, I recently left BB for iPhone. But your attitude really irritates me as much as the iPhone fanboy attitude did. They're phones. That's it. Not the be all and end all. Use the one that works for you. The market will decide which survive and which don't.
__________________
Personal: iPhone on AT&T
Work: BB 9650 on Sprint
Offline  
Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
The market will decide which survive and which don't.
Funny you say that:

Android Market Share Jumps A Spectacular 5% In Q2, Will Blow Past RIM And Apple Soon

Open minded I am and is why I have Win Mo, BB, Apple and Android sitting on my desk now.

I notice many (not all) BB users being defensive without telling me why it works for them. I would respect a reason, not a defensive, generalized response based from the emotion caused by reading my post.

There is a trend happening and BB losing market share is part of it. I feel I see why but I am just trying to get opinions from BB users as to why they think BB is the best fit for them.
__________________
BB Curve 9300
Galaxy Tab
Offline  
Old 09-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
BBF Spam Killer Moderator
 
daphne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on a sunny beach
Model: Paspt
OS: 10.3.0.90
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long
Posts: 9,176
Post Thanks: 120
Thanked 147 Times in 116 Posts
Default

For me, BlackBerry is better because of its security, email and BBM, and the keyboard. It does everything I need it to do and does it well.

I know all the analysts and journalists are predicting gloom and doom for RIM, but they released some good stats today.

UPDATE:RIM Earnings, Device Shipments Beat Expectations In 2Q>RIMM - WSJ.com

Quote:
RIM said it shipped 12.1 million devices in its second quarter. It earned a $1.46 a share, up from $476 million or 83 cents a year earlier. Revenue increased 31% to $4.62 billion. Devices accounted for about 79% of the revenue total.
__________________
Report spam text messages to 7726
#BlackBerry by choice
Offline  
Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: Z30
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,921
Post Thanks: 61
Thanked 258 Times in 185 Posts
Default

SugarMouth, all of your assumptions as based on thinking those of us who might be BlackBerry devotees have some fear of the other devices. It's your statements putting posters in the thread on the defensive. You came asking for reason we like it, and many have stated their opinions, and you poo-poo them.

I take it you're here to debate and not listen?

For me, it's the ease of use, email that works all the time, security, the range of apps I can use, the great multimedia, and as much as any of those reasons, it keeps me constantly and dependably connected to my office and family.

Do other devices do those things? Yep.
We choose BlackBerry (along with still more smartphone users than any other maker).
Offline  
Old 09-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
For me, BlackBerry is better because of its security, email and BBM, and the keyboard. It does everything I need it to do and does it well.

I know all the analysts and journalists are predicting gloom and doom for RIM, but they released some good stats today.

UPDATE:RIM Earnings, Device Shipments Beat Expectations In 2Q>RIMM - WSJ.com
Thank you! "BlackBerry is better because of its security, email and BBM, and the keyboard." That is what I am looking for.
__________________
BB Curve 9300
Galaxy Tab
Offline  
Old 09-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
For me, it's the ease of use, email that works all the time, security, the range of apps I can use, the great multimedia, and as much as any of those reasons, it keeps me constantly and dependably connected to my office and family.
Thank you!
__________________
BB Curve 9300
Galaxy Tab
Offline  
Old 09-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
BBF Spam Killer Moderator
 
daphne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on a sunny beach
Model: Paspt
OS: 10.3.0.90
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long
Posts: 9,176
Post Thanks: 120
Thanked 147 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMouth View Post
Thank you! "BlackBerry is better because of its security, email and BBM, and the keyboard." That is what I am looking for.

What I said is "For me, Blackberry is better" also. It's personal preference - others might not agree. I don't think anyone can make a definitive statement on what smartphone is "better". What's better for me may not be better for the person next to me. The way you asked the question is loaded.
__________________
Report spam text messages to 7726
#BlackBerry by choice
Offline  
Old 09-17-2010, 05:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,524
Post Thanks: 214
Thanked 341 Times in 307 Posts
Default

BlackBerry is not always better. As many of us have said time and time again, it is all a matter of personal preference and what device and service will best meet your personal and/or business needs.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 09-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 235 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMouth View Post
That goes under the:
"They are forced to use BB by their company and convince themselves BB is the best since there is no choice."
Category.
No, it doesn't. You're making assumptions based on your own ignorance.
Many people CHOOSE a BES environment because it provides the full functionality of the BlackBerry device. Why do you think there's so many hosted Exchange/BES providers out there competing with eachother?

BES is the only solution that offers full wireless PIM sync, including Tasks and Memos. Something iPhone and Android don't do via Activesync.

BES provides a level of device and data security that's important to both corporate and consumer users.

There's too many advantages to even list and waste everyone's time with.

I choose a BES environment... I'm not forced into anything.
I'm also not trying to convince myself, or anyone else, that BlackBerry is the "best".
There is no best. The fact that you're trying to find it, or assume others have found it, just makes you look silly.
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org

Last edited by penguin3107 : 09-17-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Offline  
Old 09-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
aiharkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Florida Panhandle
Model: BBPP
OS: 10.3.3
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 14,036
Post Thanks: 29
Thanked 549 Times in 532 Posts
Default

For me, I started using a BlackBerry because I needed to be able to send and receive email anytime anywhere. The variety of smartphones was limited at the time -- no iphone, no android OS phones -- and my experience with pocketPC devices was negative, the experiences of people I knew using palm devices was poor, and so I went with BlackBerry. My big thing is I need the device to work and not crap out at the worst time and lose my data, which happened to me multiple times with the windows CE and pocket PC devices I had used.

And since that time, I've had no reason to switch. The things that people complain about just aren't important to me. The things that people tout about the new smartphones just aren't important to me.

Sitting at the airport with a travel partner, and he's playing a game on his iphone. I'm catching up on email and news and blogs. Sitting at Starbucks waiting to meet up with the other partner, he's still playing his game. I'm reading and responding to email, checking some news sites, and hitting the feed readers, checking blackberryforums.com, etc. I'm not saying I'm better or my use of a device is better than his, just different. The third partner, by the way, is still using the same windows mobile smartphone he was using three plus years ago because that's the way he is.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness : 09-17-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Offline  
Old 09-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
No, it doesn't. You're making assumptions based on your own ignorance.
Many people CHOOSE a BES environment because it provides the full functionality of the BlackBerry device. Why do you think there's so many hosted Exchange/BES providers out there competing with eachother?

BES is the only solution that offers full wireless PIM sync, including Tasks and Memos. Something iPhone and Android don't do via Activesync.

BES provides a level of device and data security that's important to both corporate and consumer users.

There's too many advantages to even list and waste everyone's time with.

I choose a BES environment... I'm not forced into anything.
I'm also not trying to convince myself, or anyone else, that BlackBerry is the "best".
There is no best. The fact that you're trying to find it, or assume others have found it, just makes you look silly.
Thank you, I appreciate your answer. These are valid benefits.
__________________
BB Curve 9300
Galaxy Tab
Offline  
Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
For me, I started using a BlackBerry because I needed to be able to send and receive email anytime anywhere. The variety of smartphones was limited at the time -- no iphone, no android OS phones -- and my experience with pocketPC devices was negative, the experiences of people I knew using palm devices was poor, and so I went with BlackBerry. My big thing is I need the device to work and not crap out at the worst time and lose my data, which happened to me multiple times with the windows CE and pocket PC devices I had used.

And since that time, I've had no reason to switch. The things that people complain about just aren't important to me. The things that people tout about the new smartphones just aren't important to me.

Sitting at the airport with a travel partner, and he's playing a game on his iphone. I'm catching up on email and news and blogs. Sitting at Starbucks waiting to meet up with the other partner, he's still playing his game. I'm reading and responding to email, checking some news sites, and hitting the feed readers, checking blackberryforums.com, etc. I'm not saying I'm better or my use of a device is better than his, just different. The third partner, by the way, is still using the same windows mobile smartphone he was using three plus years ago because that's the way he is.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
I'm the same way, I actually delete games out of my phones to free up memory. Sounds like we use our phones in a similar way.
__________________
BB Curve 9300
Galaxy Tab
Offline  
Old 09-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
VRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hensley, Arkansas
Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 107
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Strange. He started the same thread over on crackberry and it is up to 2 pages of responses. Guess that wasn't enough.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS USB Programmer + SOIC8 Clip On Board
$8.49
CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS USB Programmer + SOIC8 Clip On Board  pictureEEPROM BIOS USB Programmer CH341A + SOIC8 Clip + 1.8V & SOIC8 Adapter 1 Set
$12.19
EEPROM BIOS USB Programmer CH341A + SOIC8 Clip + 1.8V & SOIC8 Adapter 1 Set pictureCH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS DVD USB Multi-Function Programmer
$2.99
CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS DVD USB Multi-Function Programmer  pictureNew XGecu TL866II Plus USB Programmer 15000+IC SPI Flash NAND EEPROM +10 Adapter
$68.99
New XGecu TL866II Plus USB Programmer 15000+IC SPI Flash NAND EEPROM +10 Adapter picture24LC01B(1K I 2 C ™ Serial EEPROM)(only one item)
$1.85
24LC01B(1K I 2 C ™ Serial EEPROM)(only one item) picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.