Originally Posted by aiharkness
Check the facts?
I have a number of people I've followed over the years saying one thing, and then one person who I don't know saying something different.
So, HATEPOLICY, I say your the one who should put up. "It works" is not satisfactory.
Tell the OP how to fix his/her problem.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Been a while since i was on here,
Here is the hack by Anworm for changing browser config.
Most apps will work via APN but some, like google search need the BB's def. browser.
• For all those using blackberry without a BIS/BES dataplan, they cannot access or use the default blackberry browser. Without access to the browser they wont be able to do an OTA install of apps or install the Blackberry 'AppWorld'.
• In some countries, the Blackberry Dataplan is very costly. So using it to download apps and browsing will burn their pockets. These people will be benefited if they could access Browser using normal GPRS/3G dataplan which is way cheaper.
Follow these steps to do it:
First we need to enable legacy restore mode. To do that:
• Go to Options > Advanced Options > Service Book.
• For QWERTY models hold ALT and press 'S' 'B' 'E' 'B''. For Sure-type (1/2 qwerty) models hold ALT and press 'S' 'S' 'B' 'E' 'B' & for touch screen models hold [!?123] until it show lock icon and press 4 ? 2 ? - means ALT 'S' 'B' 'E' 'B'.
• You will then see the message "Legacy SB Restore Enable".
After that you are free to backup/Restore Service Book on your BlackBerry.
Now download this file:
It is a backup file(.ipd) which can be used to restore a specific service book. Now follow these steps
• Open Blackberry Desktop Manager.
• Select Backup and Restore, you will see main options, as follows:
• Click Advanced button. In Advanced option, click File. A drop down menu appears and then click Open. Now select the backup file that we downloaded.
• Then select Service Book at the left column and click '>>' button.
• After that, disconnect the phone from the PC and then go to Options > Advanced Options > Service book on your phone. And make sure there is Service Book with name 'Browser Config [BrowserConfig]' is there.
• Now you have to configure the browser to use this Service book. To do goto Options > Advanced Options > Browser and check if 'Browser' is selected as shown in the image below.
• Now go to your Blackberry Desktop. Voila.... there is your Browser icon.
• Next step is that you need Access Point in Options > Advanced Options > TCP. Fill those fields. If you don't have those info's, contact your service provider and ask them.
• Restart your phone and run Browser. Enjoy your new freedom. To install AppWorld, goto hxxp://blackberry.com/appworld/download from your Blackberry Browser.
• If you see the Browser icon, You have Service Book on your phone. If the Browser doesn’t work, go to Options > Advanced Options > Browser and check if 'Browser' is selected. Then back to Home and try Browser again. with some lucky it will work
• If your BlackBerry have IT-Policy. Try to remove IT-Policy first and then Enable Browser.
• If you are still stuck somewhere, try reinstalling the Blackberry OS (Upgrade or Downgrade) then retry this hack.
We have tested a few apps which seem to be in dispute as to whether they work or not with out an official BB dataplan, these apps are:
Google mail, Google maps, Opera Mini, Google search + voice search, Google Sync, Google Talk w/ Jabber + a bunch more will work with out BES/BIS, initial install for these apps can be done with out this hack via Wifi and if needed then via APN, but installing this hack just makes life a lot easier and cheaper for some of us.
Many thanks to Anworm for the browser hack!