10-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Join Date: Oct 2011
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
| | UMA Stopped working - T-Mobile
Please Login to Remove!
***EDIT*** While cleaning up and testing my fix for this. I found the IPSec Passthrough is the REAL fix for my problem. I had to enable that to get it working. Once I did, I was able to go back in and disable "Enable Single Profile Scanning" and it still works. However, I would recommend trying both.
Hello folks. I recently just found a fix for a problem of using UMA on my 8520. I never found any specific posts about this problem, so I thought I would post one to help the next poor shlub out who has the same problem.
So I bought this phone two years ago in the U.S. on T-mobile. When I returned to my duty location in South Korea, I found I could make calls and text with it on my home WiFi network via UMA - even though I was overseas. Great feature!
However, after a recent trip back to the U.S. on business... I returned home to find it no longer working. I tried everything!
The battery removal trick.
The dreaded "Wipe"
Replaced my home router
Tried IPsec forwarding
Tried QoS and IP prioritizing
Finally, I stumbed across a post that didn't exactly answer the question, but lead me down the right path. I found a post that said to "make sure 'allow inter-access point handover' is UNCHECKED".
Well, for the life of me, I couldn't find that check box. But the theory behind it was that sometimes the phone will get hung up if it is in an area where there are multiple WiFi networks to connect with.
So I went into Settings > Options > Wifi and found the "ENABLE SINGLE PROFILE SCANNING" option. Once I checked that, I was able to select "Hotspot", "Home", My home Wifi Network, or "Netspot". I selected my home networks SSID and saved. Boom! UMA came up on the phone and I was rocking.
I believe this is because when I went back to the U.S., I was pushed some new software that got rid of the "inter-access handover" option and left me with the "enable single profile scanning" option - which was turned off by default. I could be wrong, but that is my best guess.
Based on the large variation of responses I've seen to the same problem, this may not fix all UMA issues but... if someone like me is out there, I hope this helps you.
Last edited by Timboconqueso : 10-04-2011 at 06:13 AM.