10-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Thumbs Must Hurt
Join Date: Aug 2009
Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
| | Components of the "data plan" and today's outage
Please Login to Remove!
Mobile carriers use a broad term "data plan" that allows " browsing and getting email", but under closer scrutiny the things are not that simple. Below is a brief summary of how some of my applications have behaved during today's infamous data outage:
1) Native BB Browser: won't load web pages.
2) Bolt Browser: won't load web pages. It also keeps resetting connection type from "socket" to "http" (in configuration).
3) Opera Mini: loads pages ok, like nothing has happened.
4) BB Email: you can send messages but receive nothing.
5) Connection Status (taken from Bloomberg Mobile app):
- BIS-B: connection error
- Direct (TCP): can connect
- Direct WAP: can connect
The most intriguing question is why Opera Mini browser worked perfectly, while both BB browser and Bolt failed miserably. Does Opera Mini use TCP or WAP instead of BIS?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile