OS7 Blackbery Protect - Cause of SIM & Blackberry ID problems
Blackberry protect, part of OS7 is basically malware that, while attempting to mimic the services of Where's my Phone, actually locks the user out of many functions.
Examples of Malware Actions of Blackberry Protect
1. Cannot access WiFi from the OS7 handset without a SIM inserted and the handset connected to a wireless provider 2G (Edge), 3G or 4G data network.
2. Inability to access or setup key areas of the phone without cleaning the Blackberry Protect "security check", that will not work through WiFi and MUST have a network data signal.
3. The well reported and customer hostile action of wiping the handset, when the SIM is replaced.
The solution to these problems is the eradication of Blackberry protect from the OS7 handset. This may be accomplished in several ways:
1. Deleting the files directly from the handset
a. Connect the handset to a PC and fire up BBSAK version 1.8.5 (or newer) or Blackberry Master Control program 188.8.131.52
b. Delete ALL the following cod files from the handset. The files need to be removed one at a time, as the handset will reboot several times during this process.
2. Wiping the handset and reloading the OS
a. Make a complete backup of your data!!!
b. Download the version of OS7 that you want to load (the delete the vendor.xml file as described well elsewhere.)
c. Go into the Program Files > Common Files > Research in Motion > Shared > OS you've downloaded and installed on the PC name > net_rim_bb_dryad.alx
DELETE THE FILE net_rim_bb_dryad.alx
d. If you are paranoid and want to be totally sure that Blackberry Protect is GONE, to to the Java folder
Program Files > Common Files > Research in Motion > Shared > OS you've downloaded and installed on the PC name > Java
and also delete ALL of the following files
e. Brick the phone and reload the new OS using Crack Mem v 3.4 (or newer)