BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 06:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Model: 9100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Faking BBM Conversation and Contact Profile

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Folks,
I just want to know if it is possible for someone to create a fake Contact profile of someone on his/her BB?

For example, is it possible that some stranger has my Contact Profile (showing my BB Pin, location etc) on his/her BB, and also fake conversation between myself and the other person? The assumption here is that I never added this stranger as a contact on my BB.


The other scenaio that I want to know if it is possible that my BB contact is faking a BB conversation between me and him/herself? Here the assmption is that we both have each other's contacts in our BBs, but the BBM conversation that my contact is claiming never occured. Is it possible that my contact can fake it (BBM conversation) and show it against my Contact profile in his/her BB?

Thanks in advance!

--
Regards
Offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: I747
OS: 4.1.1
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 2,340
Post Thanks: 43
Thanked 117 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: Faking BBM Conversation and Contact Profile

Why?
__________________
The Search tool and BlackBerryFAQ answer many questions.
Offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Model: 9100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Faking BBM Conversation and Contact Profile

someone is claiming that he has been slandered with fake BBM messages by one of his BB contacts (this other person is claiming to have BBM log).

I dont have any personal stake here but I am just curious to know if this 'someone' can autually be slandered or it is not technically possible to fake a BBM conversation between two contacts and infact the BBM messiging indeed occured.
Offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default Re: Faking BBM Conversation and Contact Profile

I know of no way that this can be faked.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
Model: 9700
OS: Windows 7
PIN: N/A
Carrier: GLOBE PH
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Faking BBM Conversation and Contact Profile

There is no way to fake it! PIN is Unique cheers
__________________
I love my ONYX
Offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CanuckBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YYZ
Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,183
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Faking BBM Conversation and Contact Profile

I can key in whatever I want in the PIN log files on the BES server.
Offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Model: 9100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Faking BBM Conversation and Contact Profile

@CanuckBB: is it possible for a person who is claiming to have all the logs to show on his BB device the actual BBM conversation or is it only possible to show it on seperate log files?

Secondly, if i have undertsood you correctly, it is possible for someone to get his PIN log files from BES server and edit them manually?

Thanks.
Offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: LEZ10
OS: 10.0.10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Posts: 1,704
Post Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 68 Posts
Default Re: Faking BBM Conversation and Contact Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
I can key in whatever I want in the PIN log files on the BES server.
Yes, it would depend on what level of evidence is being presented. A text file that is claimed to be the BES log would not necessarily convince me. BBM gives you the option of saving coversations to the SDCard. I haven't looked at those file, but again it may not be difficult to fake those.

The actual conversation on the phone would be the most convincing. However I know that when you use the phone upgrade wizzard and your pin changes, the BBM conversations are re-identified to be from the same person, but with the new pin. Using this to fake a conversation would be a fairly sophisticated hack, I would think.

A set of log files certified by an neutral BES administrator showing the messages leaving one device and being received by the other device would probably be the most convincing.
__________________
My other Blackberry is a PlayBook.
Offline  
Old 11-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CanuckBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YYZ
Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,183
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Faking BBM Conversation and Contact Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutt View Post
@CanuckBB: is it possible for a person who is claiming to have all the logs to show on his BB device the actual BBM conversation or is it only possible to show it on seperate log files?

Secondly, if i have undertsood you correctly, it is possible for someone to get his PIN log files from BES server and edit them manually?

Thanks.
Log files are CSV files. They can be faked.
Offline  
Old 11-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CanuckBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YYZ
Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 1,183
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Faking BBM Conversation and Contact Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
Yes, it would depend on what level of evidence is being presented. A text file that is claimed to be the BES log would not necessarily convince me. BBM gives you the option of saving coversations to the SDCard. I haven't looked at those file, but again it may not be difficult to fake those.

The actual conversation on the phone would be the most convincing. However I know that when you use the phone upgrade wizzard and your pin changes, the BBM conversations are re-identified to be from the same person, but with the new pin. Using this to fake a conversation would be a fairly sophisticated hack, I would think.

A set of log files certified by an neutral BES administrator showing the messages leaving one device and being received by the other device would probably be the most convincing.
Never said I'd trust them as evidence. just that they can be faked.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads for: Faking BBM Conversation and Contact Profile
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Messenger Contact not showing in contact list rockinrunner69 General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve 3 10-23-2008 02:09 PM
BES 4.1 SP2 for Microsoft Exchange - Now Available jibi BES Admin Corner 51 01-10-2007 09:30 AM
BES 4.1 for Exchange - Now Available to TSupport Customers jibi BES Admin Corner 86 03-31-2006 11:06 AM





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.