BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/)
-   -   New to BB (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/263914-new-bb.html)

paulrh 03-28-2013 09:16 PM

New to BB
 
I received my first BB phone a month ago due to a position change, a cheap Blackberry curve, and now have a decision to make: stick with it, upgrade the BB phone or ditch BB altogether?

I have BES, BIS and a "Global Unlimited" package from the mobile operator. The only advantage I can see in using a BB device over an Android/iPhone device is the fixed data costs when roaming for retrieval of company e-mail and internet browsing. Looking at operators costs for normal data they appear to be in the region of $10/Mbyte which is astronomical. Where I live no operator appears to offer an unlimited data download package for Android/iPhone.

Now I hear that BIS is being discontinued (albeit not for a few years?) so going forward only a fixed cost BES will be offered.

I guess I need some clarification: Is BES e-mail retrieval available to all BB subscribers anywhere or do you need to have a plan for use when roaming?

The Q10 looks interesting but that much cash for a phone that I will only use to pick up e-mails is difficult to justify. I would not consider the Z10 as it's already 4 years out of date with my current personal phone. The Q10 is different enough for me not to compare it.

shootsscores 03-29-2013 01:31 AM

Re: New to BB
 
BIS will be supported on legacy devices for some years.

The 9900 series is an excellent phone and the best of the old RIM.

shootsscores 03-29-2013 01:43 AM

Re: New to BB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrh (Post 1801273)
?

The Q10 looks interesting but that much cash for a phone that I will only use to pick up e-mails is difficult to justify. I would not consider the Z10 as it's already 4 years out of date with my current personal phone. The Q10 is different enough for me not to compare it.

BTW, how can you deem the Z to be 4 years out of date when it's the most advanced mobile computer on the market? You have to try it first. Apps arrive by the score every day. The OS will be cutting edge for a decade or more. The hardware is world class. The UI is astonishingly quick. Keyboard is amazing.

I talked to the better half for an hour and a half as I sent her bbms and consulted calendars and Nhl.com from the same device and I've only just scratched the surface.

Hellova phone.

dc/dc 03-29-2013 09:14 AM

Re: New to BB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shootsscores (Post 1801286)
BTW, how can you deem the Z to be 4 years out of date when it's the most advanced mobile computer on the market? You have to try it first. Apps arrive by the score every day. The OS will be cutting edge for a decade or more. The hardware is world class. The UI is astonishingly quick. Keyboard is amazing.

I talked to the better half for an hour and a half as I sent her bbms and consulted calendars and Nhl.com from the same device and I've only just scratched the surface.

Hellova phone.

You sound like a Kool-Aid drinker.

shootsscores 03-29-2013 09:31 AM

Re: New to BB
 
Hardly. I just understand QNX better than most.

"4 years out of date"? LMAO.

NJBlackBerry 03-29-2013 09:36 AM

Re: New to BB
 
And it runs his nuclear reactor, too.

shootsscores 03-29-2013 09:44 AM

Re: New to BB
 
Remains to be seen whether or not the new device has a soul.;-)

But, yes, micro kernel stability is a major asset.

NJBlackBerry 03-29-2013 09:55 AM

Re: New to BB
 
Wow.
Microkernel stability certainly helps when your ported Android app blows up.
Yep, Keep Moving.

dc/dc 03-29-2013 10:20 AM

Re: New to BB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shootsscores (Post 1801309)
Hardly. I just understand QNX better than most.

"4 years out of date"? LMAO.


shootsscores 03-29-2013 12:15 PM

Re: New to BB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1801317)
Wow.
Microkernel stability certainly helps when your ported Android app blows up.
Yep, Keep Moving.

I have run into crappy android ports and they can mess stuff up. However, I've never had one destroy the OS. Delete, reboot, good to go. 8-)

hrbuckley 03-29-2013 12:19 PM

Re: New to BB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrh (Post 1801273)
I received my first BB phone a month ago due to a position change, a cheap Blackberry curve, and now have a decision to make: stick with it, upgrade the BB phone or ditch BB altogether?

I have BES, BIS and a "Global Unlimited" package from the mobile operator. The only advantage I can see in using a BB device over an Android/iPhone device is the fixed data costs when roaming for retrieval of company e-mail and internet browsing. Looking at operators costs for normal data they appear to be in the region of $10/Mbyte which is astronomical. Where I live no operator appears to offer an unlimited data download package for Android/iPhone.

Now I hear that BIS is being discontinued (albeit not for a few years?) so going forward only a fixed cost BES will be offered.

I guess I need some clarification: Is BES e-mail retrieval available to all BB subscribers anywhere or do you need to have a plan for use when roaming?

The Q10 looks interesting but that much cash for a phone that I will only use to pick up e-mails is difficult to justify. I would not consider the Z10 as it's already 4 years out of date with my current personal phone. The Q10 is different enough for me not to compare it.

You can expect BIS to be available for some years after BlackBerry stops selling pre-BB10 devices. Corporate users of BlackBerry devices don't upgrade with the same frequency as people who buy phones to have the latest and greatest capability. It wasn't that long ago that my corporate IT devision decommissioned its last 4700 for example. The 9900 is a nice device, my current corporate device is a 9810, but it sounds like what you may be looking for is a 97xx. For just keeping in touch by email, BBM, PIN-to-PIN and some corporate web surfing it may have the features you need at a more attractive price point. But only you can make that determination.

If you want to take yourself off your BES then an iPhone or Android may suit you needs better. In that case check with your admin people to make sure you can use them to get email. The same advice if you decide to go with a BB10 device. The technology is certainly available to make that happen, but your company may or may not have implemented it, and may or may not want to.

Finally, the current long term relationship between BB10 and BIS is, unfortunately, not entirely clear at all. The Z10 and presumabley the Q10 don't need BIS but can use a BlackBerry data plan (though what benefit, if any, the user gets from that plan is unclear, probably none at all). BlackBerry has left it up to the carriers which way they want to go. Thorsten Heins has made statements that there may be BIS features to come for BB10. However, if you decide to stick with BlackBerry either the Curve or some other Java based device, you can be reasonably confident that BIS will be around for the useful life of the device.

dc/dc 03-29-2013 12:20 PM

Re: New to BB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shootsscores (Post 1801330)
I have run into crappy android ports and they can mess stuff up. However, I've never had one destroy the OS. Delete, reboot, good to go. 8-)

What in the crispy duck does this post have to do with the original post?

NJBlackBerry 03-29-2013 01:22 PM

Re: New to BB
 
He is raving about how great QNX is. It has soul and runs his nuclear reactor cooled by koolaid!

shootsscores 03-29-2013 02:09 PM

Re: New to BB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1801334)
What in the crispy duck does this post have to do with the original post?

Could have something to do with post #8.

shootsscores 03-29-2013 02:14 PM

Re: New to BB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1801352)
He is raving about how great QNX is. It has soul and runs his nuclear reactor cooled by koolaid!

It remains to be seen if QNX powered BBs have a soul.;-) Probably a good thing nukes aren't run by something as unstable as android, don't you think? After all, wasn't it you who brought up something as hackneyed as, "It runs da nukes!"? I'm not quite that banal.

NJBlackBerry 03-29-2013 02:25 PM

Re: New to BB
 
Do you think anyone cares about what OS their phone is running?
They want it to make and receive calls and run apps.
They could not care less about the superior micro-kernel design.

Seriously. Listen to yourself. This is nonsense.

It is that simple. No one cares about the OS.

shootsscores 03-29-2013 04:23 PM

Re: New to BB
 
Yes, QNX is superior.

Last night I talked to the wife via speaker phone while I took pictures with the phone, bbmmed the pictures to her, while checking our calendars while I was checking Nhl.com.

How about that, eh? Doing all the things you mentioned at the same time. Pretty damn slick OS.

NJBlackBerry 03-29-2013 04:44 PM

Re: New to BB
 
Wow. It can do all of that!
Amazing that it takes extra clicks all over the place to delete messages, navigate through the hub and you can't change the font for HTML e-mails.

But you can check your calendar on a call which looking at the NHL website.

shootsscores 03-29-2013 05:09 PM

Re: New to BB
 
I have to admit that you have a host of reasons to hate BB10. All that clicking! I have no idea why I'm not as exasperated as you. LOL!

The Z is an impressive device.

One thing though, deleting. I simply highlight the message, the side bar with the trash can appears and I delete the message. To delete multiple messages, click the "check" icon and select away and then hit the trash button. The confirmation pop up can be turned off. It seems pretty straight forward to me.

NJBlackBerry 03-29-2013 05:36 PM

Re: New to BB
 
I don't hate it. I never said I did. It just isn't as efficient as I'd like it to be.

I do know how to delete multiple messages, thanks.

I am very happy that you like the impressive device and outstanding OS.

To me it is rushed and unfinished.

And that's the end of that.

Now, what is this NHL you refer to?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.