BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 129
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Verizon Service Question and User Satisfaction Question

Please Login to Remove!

My contract just expired with cingular on my BB. I have always used Verizon for voice. I am now considering making the jump to an all in one deal on verizon.



1. I have a family share plan with my girlfriend. Will verizon let me add a BB plan to the family share plan?

2. How is the data service and content on verizon compared to other services?

3. BROADBAND ACCESS, is it really THAT FAST?

4. should I get the 7250 or the 7130e if I decide to go for the switch?

thanks..
Offline  
Old 02-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Maryland
Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 337
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezorn26
My contract just expired with cingular on my BB. I have always used Verizon for voice. I am now considering making the jump to an all in one deal on verizon.



1. I have a family share plan with my girlfriend. Will verizon let me add a BB plan to the family share plan?

2. How is the data service and content on verizon compared to other services?

3. BROADBAND ACCESS, is it really THAT FAST?

4. should I get the 7250 or the 7130e if I decide to go for the switch?

thanks..
1) Yes, you can add your Blackberry to your family share plan for voice communication. Just add the Data plan for the Blackberry.

2) I have only used Verizon so I can't coment on other services but I have had no complaints about Verizon.

3) Broadband access is pretty fast. You can check out some of the Benchmark messages for comparison.

4) Haven't tried the 7130e but I am very happy with my 7250.
__________________
Dusty
Offline  
Old 02-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
AL904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 215
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Over the past few years, I have used T-Mobile, Earthlink, and (now) Verizon for Blackberry service. IMHO, there is no comparison between the very slow GPRS, and the extremely fast EvDO data networks. Even the slower 1x service connection from Verizon in the areas that haven't upgraded to EvDO are far better than GPRS, and somehat better than EDGE.

In my experience, Verizon's Blackberry tech support is outstanding. I initially had a problem connecting my notebook to my 7130e for a "tethering" connection. I called Verizon tech support on a Saturday afternoon for help. Admitting the problem was at "their end," the tech support person, said he would work on the problem, and get back to me. About a half hour later, he called me back to say that the issue with my tethering was resolved. I connected without a hitch. The following Monday, another person from Verizon tech support called, as a follow up, to ask me if everything was okay. Needless to say, I'm extremely satisfied with Verizon's tech support.

While slower connections (such as GPRS) are fine for email, third-party applications and web access are far better with EvDO. Used as a modem for a notebook connection, the 7130e gets speeds that are close to DSL speeds on a home computer.

The larger memory, brighter screen, and EvDO make the 7130e the obvious choice in my opinion.
__________________
Al in Jacksonville Beach, FL

Offline  
Old 02-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 129
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL904
Over the past few years, I have used T-Mobile, Earthlink, and (now) Verizon for Blackberry service. IMHO, there is no comparison between the very slow GPRS, and the extremely fast EvDO data networks. Even the slower 1x service connection from Verizon in the areas that haven't upgraded to EvDO are far better than GPRS, and somehat better than EDGE.

In my experience, Verizon's Blackberry tech support is outstanding. I initially had a problem connecting my notebook to my 7130e for a "tethering" connection. I called Verizon tech support on a Saturday afternoon for help. Admitting the problem was at "their end," the tech support person, said he would work on the problem, and get back to me. About a half hour later, he called me back to say that the issue with my tethering was resolved. I connected without a hitch. The following Monday, another person from Verizon tech support called, as a follow up, to ask me if everything was okay. Needless to say, I'm extremely satisfied with Verizon's tech support.

While slower connections (such as GPRS) are fine for email, third-party applications and web access are far better with EvDO. Used as a modem for a notebook connection, the 7130e gets speeds that are close to DSL speeds on a home computer.

The larger memory, brighter screen, and EvDO make the 7130e the obvious choice in my opinion.

are you saying that with the 7130E you can hookup your laptop and get a high speed connection? with no additional charges?
Offline  
Old 02-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
AL904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 215
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezorn26
are you saying that with the 7130E you can hookup your laptop and get a high speed connection? with no additional charges?
Yes and no:

Verizon calls it "tethering." You can connect a 7130e to your laptop, and get a high speed connection.

However, the cost for unlimited tethering is $15 per month when added to a Blackberry unlimited data plan.
__________________
Al in Jacksonville Beach, FL

Offline  
Old 02-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
KonTiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ, USA
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a 7250 with Verizon currently running OS 4.02 with EVDO enabled. I can tether if I choose to, though I seldom do, It is fast and the full sized keyboard beats the 7130e any time, any day of the week. I have need for email rather than phone capabilities so the 7130 is out for me.
__________________
BB Tour 9650


Running OS 6.0.0.524
Offline  
Old 02-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
AL904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 215
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
I have a 7250 with Verizon currently running OS 4.02 with EVDO enabled. I can tether if I choose to, though I seldom do, It is fast and the full sized keyboard beats the 7130e any time, any day of the week. I have need for email rather than phone capabilities so the 7130 is out for me.
A month ago, I would have fully agreed with KonTiki. I was using a 7250 with Earthlink (on the Verizon network.) I seldom use my Blackberry for voice as I carry a separate cellphone.

After a short learning curve with the 7130e's keyboard and Suretype software, I am completely sold on the 7130e for both voice and texting. The bright screen is far superior to the 7250, and twice the memory doesn't hurt either. For a comparison of the two devices, take a look at Blackberry.com Compare devices.
__________________
Al in Jacksonville Beach, FL

Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.