BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 7250
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Which Outlook eMails Reconcile

Please Login to Remove!

Yes, I've searched high and low before posting my ?

Anyway, when managing mail on my desktop Outlook, I've noticed that the only emails that get deleted from my BlackBerry Inbox are those left in the Deleted folder of Outlook. The following situations annoyingly leaving E-mail 'orphans' on my BlackBerry that I must manually delete:

- Moving an item from Inbox to a personal folder will not result in the item being deleted from my BlackBerry Inbox.

- Deleting an item and then Emptying the Deleted folder before reconciling will result in the item not being deleted from my BlackBerry Inbox.

Since I regularly move email items to personal folders I want them gone from my BlackBerry Inbox.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

MDZ
Offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

No, you're not missing anything. The Berry is working as designed. Since you're moving the mail to a location that is no longer within your mailbox, the device doesn't know what to do with it so it does nothing. The only thing that can help somewhat is to not empty your trash right away. Or if you feel the need to, perform a manual 'reconcile now' on your device before you empty the trash.
Offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 7250
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
No, you're not missing anything. The Berry is working as designed. Since you're moving the mail to a location that is no longer within your mailbox, the device doesn't know what to do with it so it does nothing. The only thing that can help somewhat is to not empty your trash right away. Or if you feel the need to, perform a manual 'reconcile now' on your device before you empty the trash.
Thank you!

Follow up: Is there any way to make it so that the stragler emails are deleted vs. left there? Is there a reconcile setting?
Offline  
Old 03-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
scassel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.280
Carrier: VZW US
Posts: 272
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Setting to get mail to not show

I cannot speak to the "trash" issue but with the mail you are moving to your personal folders there is a setting to "hide"/remove that mail from your BB inbox. Open messages/options/general options and make sure that "Hide Filed Messages" is set to yes. I move/save a lot of mail as well and learned this one the hard way.

Scott
__________________
“Some spend their entire lives wondering if they have made a difference in this world. The Marines don't have that problem.” President Ronald Reagan
Offline  
Old 03-03-2006, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 7250
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scassel
I cannot speak to the "trash" issue but with the mail you are moving to your personal folders there is a setting to "hide"/remove that mail from your BB inbox. Open messages/options/general options and make sure that "Hide Filed Messages" is set to yes. I move/save a lot of mail as well and learned this one the hard way.

Scott
Many many thanks for the info!
Offline  
Old 03-03-2006, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 48
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can also hold down CTRL as you drag Outlook emails into Personal Folders - this will copy them there instead of moving them there - you can then delete the original in your inbox and leave it in the Deleted Items so that the BB syncs properly.
Offline  
Old 03-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 7250
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin-dizzy
You can also hold down CTRL as you drag Outlook emails into Personal Folders - this will copy them there instead of moving them there - you can then delete the original in your inbox and leave it in the Deleted Items so that the BB syncs properly.
Thanks for the info.

Both of these posts have got me plowing through email in record time. I setup the 'Hide Filed' setting to 'Yes' and setup a 'ToArchive' subfolder within my Inbox. With this, I can use my BB to move my emails from my Inbox to my ToArchive folder and permanantly Archive them periodically. This is working great.

If I'm at my Desktop computer, I'm using the CTRL method above to permanantly Archive on the fly.

I'm a VP at a large firm and get upwards of 200 emails a day. My BB and these 2 methods have finally got me getting through my email on time.

Thanks to both of you!

MDZ
Offline  
Old 04-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 8700
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Late, but one more question

When you file messages in your "ToArchive" folder, can you see those on your desktop as well? Do you have a ToArchive folder on the desktop?

Thanks in advance.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltDownZ
Thanks for the info.

Both of these posts have got me plowing through email in record time. I setup the 'Hide Filed' setting to 'Yes' and setup a 'ToArchive' subfolder within my Inbox. With this, I can use my BB to move my emails from my Inbox to my ToArchive folder and permanantly Archive them periodically. This is working great.

If I'm at my Desktop computer, I'm using the CTRL method above to permanantly Archive on the fly.

I'm a VP at a large firm and get upwards of 200 emails a day. My BB and these 2 methods have finally got me getting through my email on time.

Thanks to both of you!

MDZ
Offline  
Old 04-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 7250
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippazon
When you file messages in your "ToArchive" folder, can you see those on your desktop as well? Do you have a ToArchive folder on the desktop?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, I have a ToArchive folder on both the BlackBerry and my desktop. If I file an email to the folder in either place, it reconciles and moves in both places. Because I have the 'Hide filed messages' setting on, the messages no longer show on the Blackberry Inbox. It works well. My messages default to delete on my Blackberry in 30 days, but, here is the weekly archiving routine I've been doing:

- Reconcile the Blackberry
- Delete all messages from my desktop Deleted folder
- Delete all messages from the ToArchive folder which moves them to the Deleted folder.
- Reconcile the Blackberry which removes the messages from the Blackberries To Archive file.
- Move the messages from my destop Deleted folder to the final destination Archive folder in a .pst file.

At the end of this routine, all messages are archived to the final destination folder, all ToArchive & Deleted folders are empty. It works nice.

** I stopped using the CTRL method to copy to 2 places. I just move emails to the ToArchive folders and periodically archive. This seems to be an easier routine for me to follow. The Archiving routine is what I just described above.

Last edited by MeltDownZ : 04-25-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.