BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 7100t
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Blackberry Without Phone

Please Login to Remove!

Are there BB without phone? I know that I could always get a data only plan, but would like to know if there are BB for data only. Are they available for purchase? I would use them with Cingular's unlimited international plan.
I will appreciate any suggestions as well as indications about where to buy them.
Offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can find all current models at http://www.blackberry.com
Offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
ollywompus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seattle
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Tmo has an option to get an unlimited plan with voice barred if you wanted to go that route.

-olly
__________________
http://tumblolly.tumblr.com/
----------------------
GTalk: ollysk2
YIM: seattleolly
Offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northern NJ
Model: 7130e
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 89
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Verizon has a data only plan.

(any bberry can be used with the phone service turned off, the question is whether or not the carrier has a plan for it, and as far as I know, all of the majors have data only plans)
Offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 154
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgagama
Are there BB without phone? I know that I could always get a data only plan, but would like to know if there are BB for data only. Are they available for purchase? I would use them with Cingular's unlimited international plan.
I will appreciate any suggestions as well as indications about where to buy them.
The last BB without a built-in phone was the 5790. It uses the old 900Mhz pager system and does not run on the GSM or CDMA wireless systems. With only 16MB or memory, don't plan on installing any apps to it.

Apparently Velocita still sells it.
Offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 11:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 7100t
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you, Olly. I will look into it.
Offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 7100t
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Very useful comment, radimus. Thank you. I really need a GSM/GPRS device.
Offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 7100t
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

gresh, voice service "turned off" means data plan only? Or, can I just turn off the voice service myself if included with my plan? Thank you.
Offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 11:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Also, I believe you can delete the phone application from the device using Application Loader and everything else will still function.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 11:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 7105t
Posts: 981
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Voice service turned off means no minutes. I have a Voice Barred Plan with no minutes, only BlackBerry Unlimited Data and an Unlimited Messaging Add-On.
Offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
BBF Veteran
 
coreyg510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost in Translation
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 3,190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You must make sure that you are aware that with most companies...that No voice minutes, or a Data only plan does not mean that you cant make a voice call. You can..just at a flat rate. Usually around 45 cents per minutes
__________________
He's Back....and better than ever!
Offline  
Old 04-16-2006, 08:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Nashkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Eastern PA.
Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default another possibilty

If you don't want voice, you could just pay for a data only plan and then uninstall the phone from the BB with the desktop manager as dc/dc said in the previous post...sorry I missed it on the first read.

Then there is no chance of using it by mistake.

Last edited by Nashkat : 04-16-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Offline  
Old 04-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
digital/blasphemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Bama
Model: 8700g
Posts: 200
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashkat
If you don't want voice, you could just pay for a data only plan and then uninstall the phone from the BB with the desktop manager.

Then there is no chance of using it by mistake.
really?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
Also, I believe you can delete the phone application from the device using Application Loader and everything else will still function.
I had no idea.

read
Offline  
Old 04-16-2006, 03:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
ollywompus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seattle
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 96
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
You must make sure that you are aware that with most companies...that No voice minutes, or a Data only plan does not mean that you cant make a voice call. You can..just at a flat rate. Usually around 45 cents per minutes
That's where T-mobile is nice, because you can actually get it voice barred... no sending or recieving calls (they do this for the sk2 as well, at least if you ask nice enough).

I would have thought that most carriers would offer this option, surprised to hear that they don't.

-olly
__________________
http://tumblolly.tumblr.com/
----------------------
GTalk: ollysk2
YIM: seattleolly
Offline  
Old 04-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 154
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollywompus
That's where T-mobile is nice, because you can actually get it voice barred... no sending or recieving calls (they do this for the sk2 as well, at least if you ask nice enough).

I would have thought that most carriers would offer this option, surprised to hear that they don't.

-olly
Cingular does this too. That's how my 7780 is set up. I could call 911 on it, but anything else just gets an automated recording as an answer.
Offline  
Old 04-25-2006, 10:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 154
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgagama
Very useful comment, radimus. Thank you. I really need a GSM/GPRS device.
Then, like others have said, you'll have to get one without the voice plan. Just the data and BB plans.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.