BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
JerryD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Model: 9000
OS: 5.0.0.106
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 877
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Yahoo Messenger for Cingular - FINALLY, BUT...???

Please Login to Remove!

I've been keeping an eye on Blackberry's Yahoo Messenger download page. This morning I was finally able to download Yahoo Messenger. FYI some notes on this.

From the site, the device requirements are "16 MB BlackBerry device with a color screen (BlackBerry 7100 Series, BlackBerry 7200 Series, BlackBerry 7500 Series, BlackBerry 7700 Series? and BlackBerry 8700 Series), and OS v3.6.0 or higher".

You do NOT need Desktop Manager to install (in fact it must NOT be running) - just the Blackberry USB drivers. If you don't have them, plug the device in, and when XP asks for the drivers, let it get them from the Internet.

Once XP recognizes the device, in IE go to: the Blackberry site / YahooDownload and follow the prompts. You may have to allow an ActiveX component (it's been a long time since I first tried this) and YIM should download and install on your device and then reboot it.

Now for the bad news. I have an 8700c running OS version 4.1.0.194, and connect to a BES server. Whenever I attempt to start YIM, I get the message "Please visit blackberry dot com / go / yahoo to activate your handheld for Yahoo! Messenger.", but that site just leads back to the Yahoo Download page (above).

From the IT Administrators guide: (see the link "Learn about IT Administrator control of Yahoo! Messenger for BlackBerry devices from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server" on the Yahoodownload page)
it appears that something needs to be done on the server end.

Is this the case, or is the go / yahoo site just not up yet, OR is there another way around the problem?

I'd also be interested to know if non BES users have the same problem!

Thanks.

(sorry for the ugly URL's - still haven't gotten up to 10 posts here!)
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
noeffectx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: nyc & pt. pleasant beach, nj
Model: 8320
PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 565
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD
I've been keeping an eye on Blackberry's Yahoo Messenger download page. This morning I was finally able to download Yahoo Messenger. FYI some notes on this.

From the site, the device requirements are "16 MB BlackBerry device with a color screen (BlackBerry 7100 Series, BlackBerry 7200 Series, BlackBerry 7500 Series, BlackBerry 7700 Series? and BlackBerry 8700 Series), and OS v3.6.0 or higher".

You do NOT need Desktop Manager to install (in fact it must NOT be running) - just the Blackberry USB drivers. If you don't have them, plug the device in, and when XP asks for the drivers, let it get them from the Internet.

Once XP recognizes the device, in IE go to: the Blackberry site / YahooDownload and follow the prompts. You may have to allow an ActiveX component (it's been a long time since I first tried this) and YIM should download and install on your device and then reboot it.

Now for the bad news. I have an 8700c running OS version 4.1.0.194, and connect to a BES server. Whenever I attempt to start YIM, I get the message "Please visit blackberry dot com / go / yahoo to activate your handheld for Yahoo! Messenger.", but that site just leads back to the Yahoo Download page (above).

From the IT Administrators guide: (see the link "Learn about IT Administrator control of Yahoo! Messenger for BlackBerry devices from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server" on the Yahoodownload page)
it appears that something needs to be done on the server end.

Is this the case, or is the go / yahoo site just not up yet, OR is there another way around the problem?

I'd also be interested to know if non BES users have the same problem!

Thanks.

(sorry for the ugly URL's - still haven't gotten up to 10 posts here!)

hmmm a friend of mine was able to download his rimYM last night from the phone(8700c) through ota and he said his YM was running smoothly and i'm postive he's not connected to BES either.
__________________
Exchange 2007
BES 4.1.6.9

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
WIKID3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East Coast
Model: PEARL
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 89
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeffectx
hmmm a friend of mine was able to download his rimYM last night from the phone(8700c) through ota and he said his YM was running smoothly and i'm postive he's not connected to BES either.
Is your friend on Cingular's network?
__________________
I'll only be lost for a little while!!!
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
noeffectx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: nyc & pt. pleasant beach, nj
Model: 8320
PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 565
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKID3
Is your friend on Cingular's network?
i think so coz he has the 8700c, unless he was able to unlocked it. i'm going to see him later in school.

i'll keep you guys posted.
__________________
Exchange 2007
BES 4.1.6.9

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
K-Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 592
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It says on the bottom of the download page that the service is not available for Cingular users yet.
Cingular has let us down once again!
__________________
8700c
Samsung Wep 200 Headset
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
WIKID3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East Coast
Model: PEARL
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 89
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mack
It says on the bottom of the download page that the service is not available for Cingular users yet.
Cingular has let us down once again!
I'm on Cingular and I can't get into it....it won't allow me to sign in.
__________________
I'll only be lost for a little while!!!
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
K-Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 592
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It allowed me to do an OTA download to my 8700c, but then wouldnt let me sign in.
__________________
8700c
Samsung Wep 200 Headset
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
taeisme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: GA
Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 114
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Samething happening here. I downloaded the program but I cannot sign it. Cingular hasn't released the service book for Yahoo! Man, now that my 8700 is unlocked T-Mobile is looking better and better....
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
K-Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 592
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taeisme
Samething happening here. I downloaded the program but I cannot sign it. Cingular hasn't released the service book for Yahoo! Man, now that my 8700 is unlocked T-Mobile is looking better and better....
I agree, if I wasn't locked in a contract I would have jumped to TMO already!
__________________
8700c
Samsung Wep 200 Headset
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
swatkins1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 56
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Cingular says that they are waiting to get the ok from RIM for support, just like the BB Messanger
__________________
-Shawn
T-Mobile
8320
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
rollerbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 95
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Last I heard Cingular did not support the BB messenger.. But it does work on the 8700C and people use it.

Cingular seems to be VERY slow at putting anything out.. OS updates, the BIS 2.0, Yahoo IM and NOBODY there seems to know anything when you call or write the forums: http://forums.cingular.com

Its sad that you pay more ($20 more) and get less then others. I wish I was not stuck in a 2 year plan.
__________________
Currently use: Torch 9800 (unless I cant get the WiFi to auto connect, then I am getting a Galaxy S Android)
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dallas
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm also growing tired of Cingular and they way they handle their "unlimited" blackberry plan. T-Mobile is starting to look more and more attractive even if I only use them for data.
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
WIKID3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East Coast
Model: PEARL
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 89
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mack
It allowed me to do an OTA download to my 8700c, but then wouldnt let me sign in.
Me too.....how disappointing.
__________________
I'll only be lost for a little while!!!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.