BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Model: 8700
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

here is the link:
newsobserver.com/685/story/439109.html
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
BBAdmin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Port 3101.org
Model: .
Carrier: .
Posts: 2,491
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well those Good employees have got to do something while their Admins are picking their way through all those software failures preventing them getting their email to their touch screen, neon lit, body kitted up, bling PDA's. Good....me think not so Good!!!!!!
__________________

Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
dulcamara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: RDU
Model: 9810
OS: 7.0.0.261
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 343
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We're real worked up about hockey down here in Raleigh these days. Guess the BBs were the closest things they had for pucks. They'd certainly hold up better in that application that most other PDAs. All of them were in one piece in the picture.

The first I knew about Good's presence in RTP was that article.
__________________
BIS (ATT)
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
jibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Jibi's Secret Place
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.174
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 11,310
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
Even though everytime the Good vs BB thread comes up, I get flamed unmercifully, I would like to point out that Good's security is as "bullet proof" as Blackberry. BB and Good are the only two solutions that are FIPS 140-2 certified (MSFT claims, but I haven't seen their cert yet). Not getting into the hardware battles of Treo vs BB or the OS battles of WM vs Palm vs BB. Just pointing out that when comparing GoodLink to BB, security is even.

Grabbing my asbestos suit...why do I do this to myself...
Does the security add-ons for Good secure the entire OS or just the GoodLink client software on the handheld?
__________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 154
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
Grabbing my asbestos suit...why do I do this to myself...
Because back at the office they love you and pay you so well?
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 154
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcruiser
I thought this was quite funny. In the local newspaper of RTP, North Carolina. There are pictures of Good Employees playing hockey with Blackberry devices. What a great way to smash-mouth your competitor.
Any bets on whether the Blackberries still worked when they were done?

Considering some of the abuse reports I've read here it wouldn't surprise me if some of them did.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 01:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Model: 8700
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

IT depends on whose holding the stick. I dropped a 7290 down two flights of stairs and It worked fine afterwards. Although it did have lighting problems from time to time. I used that one until I got my 8700.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 02:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot
Posts: 1,009
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobate
So far as I can tell, the Good trial is for 30 days only, not indefinite. In other words, it's a trial, not like BlackBerry's giving away of one license.
It is better than nothing but of course not as good as BES giveaway.

We should expect GoodLink giveaway any time soon. They can't compete with free BES by offering trial software.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint
Posts: 299
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobate
Hmm. So far as I can tell, the Good trial is for 30 days only, not indefinite. In other words, it's a trial, not like BlackBerry's giving away of one license.
The free Small Business BESs limited to 15 users and requires an upgrade to the full Enterprise version to support more than that. Ours is a trial, yes, however it is the full version and does not require any upgrade to beyond X number of users. That being said, Server Express is a very smart idea at targeting the SMB space.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint
Posts: 299
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin
Well those Good employees have got to do something while their Admins are picking their way through all those software failures preventing them getting their email to their touch screen, neon lit, body kitted up, bling PDA's. Good....me think not so Good!!!!!!
Nope. Basically, those were devices people had traded in when they moved to Treos, etc. We couldn't give them away, so we slapped them around. They did, I have to admit, take quite a beating. I have never questioned the durability of the BB devices and hitting them with hockey sticks, they took it better than I had imagined. We finally teed them up and hit 'em with golf clubs.

As an aside, no software failures and getting our email on our touch screen devices and non-touch screen devices went very well, but thanks for the concern.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #31 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint
Posts: 299
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcamara
We're real worked up about hockey down here in Raleigh these days. Guess the BBs were the closest things they had for pucks. They'd certainly hold up better in that application that most other PDAs. All of them were in one piece in the picture.

The first I knew about Good's presence in RTP was that article.
Dulcamara, we have been down here over a year now. You are right, however, that the BB's held up better than other PDA's would have. The picture, however, was early on in the day. By the end of the day, they were in pieces, but admittedly, it took alot to get them that way. Then again, I am sure a pocket calculator would have held up better than a laptop computer.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint
Posts: 299
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Does the security add-ons for Good secure the entire OS or just the GoodLink client software on the handheld?
GMD is security for the entire handheld. GoodLink is inherently secure. GMD allows for that security to be placed for the entire device.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint
Posts: 299
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radimus
Because back at the office they love you and pay you so well?
Can't complain
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #34 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint
Posts: 299
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radimus
Any bets on whether the Blackberries still worked when they were done?

Considering some of the abuse reports I've read here it wouldn't surprise me if some of them did.
They didn't, but as I have said, they took quite a beating.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #35 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint
Posts: 299
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One
It is better than nothing but of course not as good as BES giveaway.

We should expect GoodLink giveaway any time soon. They can't compete with free BES by offering trial software.
The free server is limited to 15 users. RIMM has been running free server promotions through the carriers for ages, typically with the purchase of X number client licenses and we have competed just fine. We won't be giving away the server anytime soon. Main reason is we don't have the financial resources RIM has to simply give away product. My guess is you will see the free BES end before we give away GoodLink.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot
Posts: 1,009
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Why would free BES offer end? I do not follow your guess. It costs RIM next to nothing to allow people download free BES. Users still pay for CALs after first user.

Quote:
The free Small Business BESs limited to 15 users and requires an upgrade ... to support more than that.
My guess is you will see free BES that supports more than 15 users, in not so distant future.
Otherwise RIM can not compete with Microsoft and with OpenSource.

Quote:
Main reason is we don't have the financial resources RIM has to simply give away product.
You may be amazed by creativity of company and its owners when it gets squeezed by the competition. It costs next to nothing to Good to allow free download of GoodLink server.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Model: 8700g
Posts: 152
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

FWIW, my employer tested BES and went with Good and Treos as standard devices. I'm not entirely sure why, although business relationships rather than technological soundness certainly could have been an influence.

I fear as RIM that if RIM were to add features (multimedia, etc.) BB's advantage (stability, strength at email) over Win/Palm devices will diminish . . .
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 1,475
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
My gut tells me eventually Good Mobile Intranet will be included, but we haven't announced anything, internally or externally. Customers don't seem to be balking at a one-time $59 license cost, though.

GMD, on the otherhand, will probably not be included as it does not require GoodLink. I would disagree with the statement that the same functionality is included with BES as with GMD. Primary reason is, there are things that are included with GMD that BES doesn't need, ie, disabling camera, IR, and BT and remote erase of the SD card and the ability to encrypt ALL databases on the handheld, not just GL. There are more features, but this isn't the place to go into that.
That is a good point. Of course the BES doesn't need that functionality since BB's don't have a camera, IR port, or memory card that need to be locked down.

Just splitting hairs with you.

I have been through a Good training and think the GMD and Good Access are "good" products - especially since 4.8 has been released. Handheld units aside I think both products are very comparible.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #39 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint
Posts: 299
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One
Why would free BES offer end? I do not follow your guess. It costs RIM next to nothing to allow people download free BES. Users still pay for CALs after first user.
If it will remain free, why did they give it a price of $1,099? Secondly, RIM's hardware margins are starting to decline. Remember, they are in the market to make money.

Quote:
My guess is you will see free BES that supports more than 15 users, in not so distant future.
Otherwise RIM can not compete with Microsoft and with OpenSource.
I doubt it will support more than 15. You want more than 15, you upgrade to the full Enterprise Edition and pay for it.

Quote:
You may be amazed by creativity of company and its owners when it gets squeezed by the competition. It costs next to nothing to Good to allow free download of GoodLink server.
I have to disagree. Being that our business is software and we have no hardware revenues to fall back on, we can't give away our product.
Offline  
Old 05-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #40 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint
Posts: 299
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
That is a good point. Of course the BES doesn't need that functionality since BB's don't have a camera, IR port, or memory card that need to be locked down.

Just splitting hairs with you.

I have been through a Good training and think the GMD and Good Access are "good" products - especially since 4.8 has been released. Handheld units aside I think both products are very comparible.
Splitting those hairs is basically what has happened when comparing BB to GL. Feature for feature, functionality for functionality, there are very slight differences between the two products. We do some things better than BB, BB does nothing better than GoodLink.

Kidding. Though I do feel what BB has over GL is more hardware related than software related and that is something we have very little, if anything, to do with.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

27C400 27C800 27C160 TL866 Minipro Adapter For Amiga and other retro systems KIT
$8.99
27C400 27C800 27C160 TL866 Minipro Adapter For Amiga and other retro systems KIT pictureLot of 2 Digital Processing System743-860 and 743-770 for Amiga A2000
$549.99
Lot of 2 Digital Processing System743-860 and 743-770 for Amiga A2000 pictureSiemens Hearing Solution Pocket Hearing Aid Amiga 172 N (White, Blue)
$79.99
Siemens Hearing Solution Pocket Hearing Aid Amiga 172 N (White, Blue) pictureSiemens Hearing Solution Pocket Hearing Aid Amiga 176 AO pack of 02
$190.0
Siemens Hearing Solution Pocket Hearing Aid Amiga 176 AO pack of 02 pictureSiemens Hearing Solution Pocket Hearing Aid Amiga 176 AO
$99.99
Siemens Hearing Solution Pocket Hearing Aid Amiga 176 AO  picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.